Hwlp With Wall-E

Decorating By airyfairy Updated 4 Feb 2009 , 8:56am by Annalie

airyfairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
airyfairy Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 8:02am
post #1 of 3

Hi Like alot of little boys out there my son has requested a Wall-E cake . Ive been reading the posts and most people seem to be of the same idea for the neck and eyes. pvc pipe and rice Krispies. The problem I have is that I'm from New Zealand and while I know what PVC pipe is I have no Idea what you guys mean when you say " rice Krispies" Over here Rice Krispies are small cup cakes made of rice bubbles , kremelta and chocolate. So could someone please help and explain to me in simple terms exactly what I'm ment to do for the neck and eyes. Thanks so much. icon_biggrin.gif

2 replies
ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 8:47am
post #2 of 3

Rice Krispies are a puffed, crisp rice cereal made by Kellogg's. When people make RKT (treats) they mix the RK with melted marshmallows, this also creates an edible medium you can make big, generic shapes with. It's preferred over cake because once it's dry, it all stays stuck together (usually...) unlike cake which is so fragile, and also it's light weight and cheap (as opposed to forming something out of a great big hunk of gumpaste). If you use the search function and look up "rice krispies treats" or even just "RKT" you will find lots of great tips on using them. I know I have seen threads where people from other countries ask about RKT or mention if there is a comparable product...unfortunately I don't remember the answer for NZ though...try putting "RKT New Zealand" in the search bar, be sure to choose "all words" and see if anything comes up...just a thought!

Annalie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annalie Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 8:56am
post #3 of 3

Hi Airyfairy
I am also from NZ and use rice crispie treat all the time... (rice krispies is what we know as Ricies cereal) I use the original recipe on www.ricekrispies.com. While the RT is still warm, not hot, it is realy easy to mould and shape. It firms up nicely when cool and hold it's shape quite well. You can use any brand of ricies... I just use Pams Rice snaps. I like to use nice soft Marshmallows though.
Hope that helps. icon_smile.gif

I have used it on my fisherman cake - for the boat,
for my Camera cake - the Camera,
The Wiggles Doghouse as well as the Handbag Cake (without the shoe) - the Handbag.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%