Icing Consistencies

Decorating By mavreader Updated 3 Feb 2009 , 12:55pm by Eisskween

mavreader Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mavreader Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 12:34pm
post #1 of 3

How do you know when your icing is stiff, medium, or thin? How can you tell the difference between all of them? icon_confused.gif

2 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 12:49pm
post #2 of 3

To test the consistency of the icing, I use a butterknife and just swirl it around. With that being said, if the icing is really hard to move, it's stiff. It kind of looks stiff too. When you add a few tablespoons of water or milk, you can see the icing start to move around a little bit. I just test it and you can feel that there is a little bit of resistance, but not much. It becomes your medium. Then just add more water or milk and pretty soon you have thin icing. To me, I can actually see how thin it is. If you stick the knife in the icing, there is practically no resistance..

Hope this helps. After you makeit a few times, you will learn what the right consistencies are and it will be a lot easier!

Good luck!

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 12:55pm
post #3 of 3

The Wilton teacher should have explained it to you and given you a demonstration of the textures. If you are still taking classes, ask her and she should explain it.

It's hard to describe, but the thick consistency holds a spatula straight up, solid peaks, heavy, like the feel of margerine in a tub when cold. Medium (a bit more liquid, a tablespoon or so) added is softer, easier to move,is like that of the canned store-bought icing; thin consistency (about two tablespoons more liquid) is like the consistency of margerine at room temperature.

I know, it probably doesn't help, but it's hard to describe in words.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%