Piping The Wilton Rose

Decorating By mavreader Updated 4 Feb 2009 , 4:21am by SeriousCakes

mavreader Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mavreader Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 12:33pm
post #1 of 11

Hello, I just finished Course 1 and I had some questions about the wilton rose. Do you have to use Tip 12 to create the base? I think it is such a hassle trying to unscrew and rescrew tips back into place...plus does anyone have any good ideas regarding roses? Thanks thumbs_up.gif

10 replies
Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 12:42pm
post #2 of 11

Using the striping technique or the two tone method leaves you with an interesting rose colorwise.

I just use the same petal tip to create my base, saves the changing of tips. But you can always use two pastry bags instead of one, this way, no tip changing. icon_biggrin.gif

ShanB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShanB Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 12:56pm
post #3 of 11

I don't change the tip. I am way to lazy to do that. It took a bit of practice but worth it to not have the hassle of changing tips.

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 12:57pm
post #4 of 11

You can alos use a chocolate kiss for the centers.

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 1:04pm
post #5 of 11

I learned another technique where you zig zag your rose tip and go back and forth and up making a triangular shape as your base. It's too much of a pain to make a separate bag or change tips just for the center. You just have to make sure when you make your first petals for the center that they're really tight and closed so you don't see the base. Works great!

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 3:46pm
post #6 of 11

I have my students in course 1 do two bags as a time saver.

If you don't want the mess of doing an extra bag clean up job then plop your buttercream onto plastic wrap and make a "log" with it. Then snip of one end of the "log" and drop it in your prepared bag.

Also just a tip in general: After your dont decorating drop your items in hot water and let them soak while you wash your other things up. When you are done and move to the hot soaking water clean up your things will be ready to wash/put in the dishwasher.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 6:04pm
post #7 of 11

I use the rose tip itself to make the base, much faster and one less tip to clean.

sahrow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sahrow Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 8:43pm
post #8 of 11

I guess I'm weird... I use couplers that are completely round (no notch cut out) so I don't use a tip. I just squeeze it out of the coupler then stick the tip back on.

rocketmom1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketmom1985 Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 10:43pm
post #9 of 11

I found another video on you tube for making bc roses....she uses the same tip to make the "cone" so she is not changing tips or icing bags. I don't know if you will be able to see how she does this very well, but I assume like anything, it takes some practice.

hth...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fgpPlv4geU&feature=channel

cakesbyjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjen Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:37am
post #10 of 11

well, since most of my days consist of making full sheet pans full of roses, i've figured out my most effective way to make the starting point is by taking my bag, and spinning the flower nail clock wise (or opposite of how you spin it to make the rose) i make a cone in the center...

so with the "tip" pointing in the center of the flower nail, and rotating the nail clockwise, apply pressure and just start the rose with the middle part from that point on top of the cone...

hth, and wasn't TOO confusing... (lol i may have confused myself) icon_redface.gif

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 4:21am
post #11 of 11

I've got a couple different method for a rose, no flower nails needed or extra tips...

I make a few in this video:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=tHSzbG_y9JE&feature=channel_page

At the end of this one I do a 'reverse rose', very easy icon_biggrin.gif
http://youtube.com/watch?v=eUBOPGjmIFI&feature=channel_page

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%