Good Gravy...where Are All The Interesting Wedding Cakes?

Decorating By evasmama Updated 9 Feb 2009 , 5:00pm by mariela_ms

kissylips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kissylips Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 3:40am
post #61 of 77

This is from the same artist that did the Dr Seuss. Totally awesome. I bet the whole wedding was funky and fresh.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1259648

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 4:18am
post #62 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemommy

Some brides are traditionalists and like that "plain" look.

icon_lol.gif I got a chuckle out of this one! Should I venture a guess that we are YEARS apart in age?

When I hear the word "traditional" wedding cake, I think of the cakes before the word "fondant" was imported to this country, when all wedding cakes were white buttercream, with lots of swags, stringwork, piping, big borders, layered overpiping and lots of buttercream flowers.

All cakes had pillars to make them grand and tall. The first time I made a stacked cake, I thought it looked funny because it was so short! icon_lol.gif And I'd been making cakes for years when I made that one!

Plain? Nah, that's not "traditional"! That's what I call "that new-fangled look"! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 5:15am
post #63 of 77

icon_lol.gif We might be! I'm 37! I think of traditional as "reserved" without a lot of fancy shmansy. I guess I should update or at least "back" date my definition of traditional.

I personally love the old grander style cakes. Like the Lambeth style for instance! LOVE IT!!!!!! Favorite technique to do. I love string work and piping galore done in a tasteful not gaudy way.

Alright, I'm updated!!! Sorry about the confusion!

Amy

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 7:19am
post #64 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by kissylips

This is from the same artist that did the Dr Seuss. Totally awesome. I bet the whole wedding was funky and fresh.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1259648

I have that book! It's Lindy Smith "Cakes to Inspire and Desire". That's the cake that gave me the inspiration for this one: (No special support needed--the dowels under the cakes are support enough, and the top tier helps center the weight of the structure)
LL

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 2:56pm
post #65 of 77

MacsMom, I am dying to do one of those cakes. they just impress the poo right out of me! I love that... everyone will be staring at it going, "It's going to fall... I swear it's going to fall!" thumbs_up.gif

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 3:14pm
post #66 of 77

Love love love that cake. I am thrilled when customers want something bright, with lots of color. I also wish brides would go out on a limb more and do something exciting, not just the run of the mill white cake, etc.

My wedding cake was teeny tiny. It was 3 tiers, but I walked into the reception and was shocked at how small it was. I paid $4.50 per slice, and I know the birthday cakes I make are large than this sucker. I was look at the photos, and I think she used a 4, 6 and 8 inch tiers, each about 2 1/2 inches high. It was meant to feed 100, but I don't think it did.

I guess that's what I get for buying a cake from a lady out of a trailer house with llamas in her yard. icon_lol.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 3:32pm
post #67 of 77

Hey, at least the llamas were in the YARD!! It could've been worse!

Idreamofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Idreamofcakes Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 3:52pm
post #68 of 77

Oh my gosh Summer that is hilarious!! Llamas??? Ya at least they weren't IN the house helping with the cake! For one of your anniversary cakes you should make a replica with a Llama taking a bite out of the side LOL
(kinda like that silly one on Ace of cakes with the horses)

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 4:03pm
post #69 of 77

She was very well known in her area, and very, very talented. She had two trailers, one she lived in, the other for her business. She had decorated cakes ALL over the floor, everywhere! She was a smoker, and every time I went to see her for an appt, I heard the air spray air fresher stuff going. icon_lol.gif

She was talented but...man...quirky.

MacsMom Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 4:16pm
post #70 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

She was very well known in her area, and very, very talented. She had two trailers, one she lived in, the other for her business. She had decorated cakes ALL over the floor, everywhere! She was a smoker, and every time I went to see her for an appt, I heard the air spray air fresher stuff going. icon_lol.gif

She was talented but...man...quirky.

Lol! At least there no farting dogs (sorry, I couldn't resist!). My wedding cake tasted amazing, white with thick layers of raspberry on top of a cheesecake filling. We even saved the top tier and ate it on our anniversary - it was still exactly as good as the day of our wedding!

So when I got into this biz, the FIRST thing I wanted to do was find the most awesome cake recipes I could. The thing I find funny is that the WASC recipe has become my choice, and I bet that's what my decorator used (or similar) because we drove around the back to get to the side street and there was a large empty cardboard box that held cake mixes, lol!

Somethin-Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Somethin-Sweet Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 5:35am
post #71 of 77

OK- here it is............the "funkiest" wedding cake I have ever done. It is for delivery tomorrow- the bride requested -NO WHITE! I love it!!
LL
LL
LL

MacsMom Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 5:40am
post #72 of 77

I love it!! icon_eek.gif

I have to put it in favs immediately...

Somethin-Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Somethin-Sweet Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 5:50am
post #73 of 77

Thanks MacsMom! I have a ton of your photos in my favs................

Idreamofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Idreamofcakes Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 3:46pm
post #74 of 77

Redhot that cake is beautiful!! I love it.

Macsmom i'm way too nosey, so I have to ask whats the story behind the farting dog? Does that refer to that forever long thread that the girl said the cake ladies house was dirty and then it wasn't....oh yeah the thread was called "Officially Embarassed"?

If not I want to hear about the farting dog story!

MacsMom Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 4:01pm
post #75 of 77

Yes, it was the "Officially Embarrassed" thread... icon_rolleyes.gif I laughed so hard reading that one!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 4:08pm
post #76 of 77

Both cakes are gorgeous!..Love them!..
Now summernoelle...I think the llamas should have given you a clue!.. icon_lol.gif..That's too funny!

mariela_ms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariela_ms Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 5:00pm
post #77 of 77

I got married in 2005 and my aunt made my wedding cake. I chose a simple 3 tier, stacked, with dots and I think it had a ribbon border. Yup. Just simple like the ones everyone is tired of lol. This is before I was into decorating of course. icon_lol.gif

Well, this is what I got. I now see that it was leaning. Anyway, to my aunt's defense, it was a double wedding. Both my sister and I got married the same day and she did both cakes. I don't even remember how my sister's cake looked like.

I'm planing on celebrating this year's anniversary with a funky cake. Even if it's a small cake, it will only be our 4th.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%