How Would You Get Texture On Fondant????

Decorating By jessi01 Updated 30 Jan 2009 , 8:55pm by jessi01

jessi01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessi01 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 4:50pm
post #1 of 11

I am making a Pittsburgh steelers cake..Helmet and of course the Terrible Towel...?? how would you go about getting that textured look of a towel?? I am using MMF

** also If anyone has any tips on doing the image without an edible image printer let me know! (the local store won't do it due to copyright issues icon_cry.gif ) the plan now is to go at it with food writers!**

10 replies
GeorgiaGingerbread Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeorgiaGingerbread Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 5:23pm
post #2 of 11

I've never tried this, but how about laying cheesecloth over the fondant and pressing the texture into it with a fondant smoother? This is just the first thing that came to mind when I read your post!

j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 5:27pm
post #3 of 11

I'm not exactly sure what the texture is of the "terrible towel"... I tried to look at pics on-line, but it just seems like regular fabric...? Anyway, you can always use an actual towel to imprint your fondant. Make sure your fondant isn't sticky, and make sure the towel you use is clean and lint-free. Just press the towel onto your fondant and you should be able to see the texture. It's ok if your fondant gets little wrinkles in it, too... because that will give it a more natural look. You can either press it on with your hands in sections, or you can cover the whole piece of fondant with the towel and roll your roller over it a time or two. Good luck!

Rexy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rexy Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 5:30pm
post #4 of 11

I would make sure to sift some powdered sugar over the towel to prevent it from sticking.
Go Steelers!

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 5:30pm
post #5 of 11

I'm not sure what texture you're looking for but I used one of those plastic net scrubbers that gave me a good look. That might work.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 5:31pm
post #6 of 11

You could do a FBC for the image or a chocolate transfer. There are instructions in the article of his site.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 5:35pm
post #7 of 11

ummm . . . if the local store wouldn't do it because of copyright issues . . . should we assume that this is for your family?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 5:36pm
post #8 of 11

And I've created a terrycloth towel effect with a box grater. Just press it into the fondant and then again, randomly.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 5:37pm
post #9 of 11

I would slather on a thickish amount of slightly runny royal icing, let it set up a bit, then press an actual towel onto it. Doit a few times maybe until it starts to pull up a bit to get the "fuzziness" to stand up! Probably gonna get fuzzies in it, but it might work.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 5:38pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie85364

I would slather on a thickish amount of slightly runny royal icing, let it set up a bit, then press an actual towel onto it. Doit a few times maybe until it starts to pull up a bit to get the "fuzziness" to stand up! Probably gonna get fuzzies in it, but it might work.

Ugh....that actually sounds like a dumb idea now that I read it! Lol....

jessi01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessi01 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 8:55pm
post #11 of 11

thanks for all the ideas for the texture! and Leahs, I know! this is just for a close friend... I'm not trying to do anything i shouldn't icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%