What Kind Of Icing To Go With Fondant..

Decorating By valstupendo Updated 31 Jan 2009 , 5:27am by melysa

valstupendo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valstupendo Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 3:53am
post #1 of 14

I was wondering if anyone has suggestions of the recipe they use for icing to go under fondant.
I have been using the Wilton buttercream recipe, but then after I set it in the fridge to set up, I find it hard to smooth out well to keep the fondant smooth, and it's dry and hard by then, so the fondant doesn't want to 'stick' to it very well.

Sorry for such an amateurish question... anyone have any ideas for me?
Thanks in advance guys.

13 replies
melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 4:07am
post #2 of 14

i recommend swiss meringue buttercream. its delicious and very stable under fondant , by itself and or for doing carved cakes.

there are many versions and recipes, i like this one best:

melysa Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 4:13am
post #4 of 14

use all unsalted butter though, not half as indicated.

MaloSlatko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaloSlatko Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 4:21am
post #5 of 14

I also use chocolate ganache. White chocolate ganche made with sour cream is a favourite. As long as it works with the cake flavour of course.

melysa Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 5:32am
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lekoli

I also use chocolate ganache. White chocolate ganche made with sour cream is a favourite. As long as it works with the cake flavour of course.

i would imagine that the chocolate/cream ratio would have to be just right (more chocolate for sure) so that it wouldnt soften so much. would you share your recipes/ratios? i use ganache frequently but usually as a filling, not under fondant. never used white ganache yet but would like to.

Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 4:09pm
post #7 of 14

I use ganache too, sometimes. It helps you achieve really crisp edges on the fondant. I use a ratio of 2 parts chocolate (by weight) to 1 part heavy cream (by volume) ie 2 lbs. chocolate to 16 oz. cream. This is a hard ganache - like a chocolate truffle texture.

Recently I started adding white chocolate to my IMBC to make it more stable under fondant. It seems to give it more body and I don't have the fondant slump I used to sometimes have with straight buttercream.

HTH

melysa Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 5:58pm
post #8 of 14

were you chilling your imbc cake before adding the fondant?

MaloSlatko Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 8:48pm
post #9 of 14

For dark chocolate ganache I use equal parts 70% Cocoa chocolate and cream: eg. 300g chocolate to 300ml cream. Note that the consistency of the ganache will be affected by the percentage of Cocoa in your chocolate. If, for example, I did what Toptier did using "my" particular chocolate it would set so hard I would have to use a chainsaw to serve the cake icon_smile.gif

As for white, I nearly always use sour cream ganache which is two parts chocolate to sour cream: ie. 300g chocolate to 150ml sour cream.

Hope that helps.

melysa Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 10:10pm
post #10 of 14

lekoli, do you have to refrigerate your white chocolate ganache since you use sour cream? i normally dont right away, only because i bring the cream to a boil first, but in this case, i imagine you mix the sour cream in while cold.

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 11:25pm
post #11 of 14

I use this recipe under fondant. Its similar to SMBC or IMBC w/o the eggs. It's not too sweet, its very firm when chilled so it holds its shape under fondant very well.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-19577-toba.html+french+vanilla

MaloSlatko Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 1:46am
post #12 of 14

Melysa, that particular recipe is not made in the usual way.

I melt the white chocolate then set aside for 10 minutes on a warm day or just 5 if very cold. In the meantime, take the sour cream out of the fridge then put in a bowl and mix with a hand whisk or spatula until smooth and slightly more liquid. Once the chocolate has cooled a little, pour it all into the sour cream and mix everything together with a hand whisk or spatula until smooth and thoroughly combined. It is then ready to use.

Wendl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendl Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 2:02am
post #13 of 14

I use real butter 'buttercream' under my fondant and I haven't had any problems...and yes, I chill my cakes after crumbcoating/skim coating while I am wrangling the fondant. If I think it doesn't have 'sticking' power, I lightly mist it w/water (LIGHTLY) and have no probs. But then I am down here in Texas, it might be a climate thing.
Good luck!

melysa Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 5:27am
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lekoli

Melysa, that particular recipe is not made in the usual way.

I melt the white chocolate then set aside for 10 minutes on a warm day or just 5 if very cold. In the meantime, take the sour cream out of the fridge then put in a bowl and mix with a hand whisk or spatula until smooth and slightly more liquid. Once the chocolate has cooled a little, pour it all into the sour cream and mix everything together with a hand whisk or spatula until smooth and thoroughly combined. It is then ready to use.

thanks for the instructions, it sounds really good, think i might try it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%