Pinewood Derby Cake

Decorating By paula1234 Updated 9 Feb 2009 , 2:03am by paula1234

paula1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula1234 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 6:54pm
post #1 of 5

I really need some ideas for an upcoming pinewood derby race for our cub scout troop, the Happy Hoppers. I thought about carving sheet cakes into a pinewood car shape and cover it with fondant and using donuts as wheels, any other suggestions?

4 replies
renee2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
renee2007 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 7:00pm
post #2 of 5

I think that sounds good. sorry not much help icon_smile.gif

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 8:44pm
post #3 of 5

I think you have a winning idea. The scouts will love it. Maybe you could also incorporate Happy Hoppers into the car design.

j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 6:57am
post #4 of 5

You could make the cake a long track and then do the cars on top out of fondant or small cakes, or even twinkies... etc. I know my kids have done a few pinewood derby races and we've had lots of fun with the cars themselves... Good luck!

paula1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula1234 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 2:03am
post #5 of 5

thanks to everyone that replied to my post regarding my pinewood erby cake. it really turned out great or i thought it did. all the scouts and parents really loved it. i will try very soon to post my pictures. i had my timeline down. don't know why, it just went out the door. the cubmaster asked me if i would help put up the track, it will only take 30 minutes, she said. so here i go with 2 of my boys, 3 hours later we are home. i had already been up at 5:30 am that friday morning, i didn't get to bed until saturday night at 10 pm. what hurt even more was that all 3 of my boys raced against me in the family division, and they took 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. i was left out to dry. i may still have a chance in the show division. once again thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%