Sushi Cupcakes

Decorating By charman Updated 30 Jan 2009 , 3:47am by barbaranoel

charman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charman Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 2:05pm
post #1 of 4

Have looked on here about making Sushi cupcakes, and noticed that people say they use Fruit Roll-Ups...where do you find the green ones? I seem to only find red or tye dyed...any suggestions?

Also, do you take the paper liner off the cupcake, or just wrap the roll-up around it?

Thanks in advance!
C

3 replies
7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 5:20pm
post #2 of 4

Let's see... The Blastin' Berry has a green one; the X-box ones are green, the Shrek ones are green also. Yes, you want to remove the papers, and use the rollups instead.
ImageImageImage

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 6:27pm
post #3 of 4

Nori, which is the algae that is used to make sushi, is more of a black color with a greenish hue (some are blacker than others and sometimes you don't even see the green).

Can you make fondant (marshmallow fondant is pretty easy and not expensive)? That way you won't go crazy looking for the right color fruit rolls, plus you can make them the correct size, without much waste. Also, you can use the fondant to make the other items for the sushi.

I made small petite fours sushi cakes and used the fruit rolls. Nobody really liked them (too tart and it stuch in their teeth) and it was difficult to find what I needed. Also, they were difficult to work with because they're so sticky. After that, I decided to use fondant.

Oh, I would take off the cupcake wrapper.

barbaranoel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbaranoel Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 3:47am
post #4 of 4

When I made my "Sushi" cupcakes I actually made a sheet cake and got a 2 or 3" biscuit cutter. This made them more equal sized and shaped.

I couldn't find the green fruit roll ups so I made fondant and used white sprinkles. The sushi girl where I work had a beautiful picture of several different kind of sushi so I took that home to mimic the different types.

Barb

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%