Birthday Cake...without Cake

Decorating By SS385Monte Updated 16 Feb 2009 , 1:01pm by LittleLinda

SS385Monte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SS385Monte Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 3:23am
post #1 of 9

Help! I'm supposed to do a birthday cake on Monday for a friend, but just found out that for the next week he is supposed to be on a pretty strict diet. Does anyone know of any ways to make something that would look like a cake, but be made out of only fruits or vegetables? Thanks!!!

8 replies
sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 3:28am
post #2 of 9

Have you thought about a dessert like pavlova? You could make a circle of meringue (fat free!) and decorate that with a little RT and strawberries or something

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 3:30am
post #3 of 9

why not make a styrofoam dummy cake? that way you get to make something pretty but have the much lighter dessert on the side?

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 3:30am
post #4 of 9

A cousin of mine could not have cake one year so my Aunt, his mother, baked a meatloaf in the shape of a round cake then iced it with cream cheese and decorated it with various veggies. I remember she used a lot of red, green and yellow bell peppers for color.
She put candles on it and everyone sang happy birthday and had dinner for "cake". icon_smile.gif

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 3:43am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teekakes

A cousin of mine could not have cake one year so my Aunt, his mother, baked a meatloaf in the shape of a round cake then iced it with cream cheese and decorated it with various veggies. I remember she used a lot of red, green and yellow bell peppers for color.
She put candles on it and everyone sang happy birthday and had dinner for "cake". icon_smile.gif

I can't imagine cream cheese as icing on meatloaf. I wonder how that tasted. Was it a little like the taste of sour cream, like in stroganoff?
Martha Stewart did a version of the meatloaf "cake" with piped mashed potatoes as icing, then decorated with green peas. It was actually kinda pretty.

You could make a jello mold with fruits inside and "ice" it with coolwhip and fruit. That would be very light, but festive.

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 4:03am
post #6 of 9

I don't remember exactly what the taste of the cream cheese was with the meatloaf but I do remember how good it was. I do remember it disappeared quickly! She had mashed potatoes on the side and the sauce for the meatloaf was in a gravy ladle to be spooned over your slice of "cake". It was very pretty and tasty too. This was back in the 70's so my recollection is a bit shaded now. I just remember how good and pretty it was. We were all surprised to find out it was meatloaf!!! She did not tell anyone what it was before hand! icon_lol.gif

SS385Monte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SS385Monte Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 1:38pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks for all of the ideas! Now I just have to make up my mind....

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 12:35am
post #8 of 9

i vote for the meatloaf iced with mashed potatoes. Have you considered Angel Food cake? isn't that supposed to me "better" for you than regular cake?

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 1:01pm
post #9 of 9

Another suggestion is to make flowers, etc out of fruit ... like those "edible arrangements".

Another suggestion is one of those towel cakes like people make for bridal showers. Then it's a cake and a gift!

I think it would be mean to make a dummy cake ... looks so tasty and can't be eaten!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%