Where Do You Get Your Resapberry Filling?

Decorating By kjb Updated 14 Jan 2007 , 1:25pm by springlakecake

kjb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjb Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 11:21pm
post #1 of 10

Hi All!

I have been asked to make my very first wedding cake!!! It is a 4 tier cake (to serve 200 people). I am really excited and want to make a good impression on this couple. They found the cake in an old In Style wedding magazine. The cake is very elegant and does not look that complicated. The cake has a raspberry filling and I was wondering what is the best kind...I went to another website and it said that fresh raspberries spoil quickly. This will be for a June wedding and the reception may be held out side...Do you have any favorite preserves or pre-made fillings that I could try?

Thanks in Advance,
Kim

9 replies
springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 14 Jan 2007 , 12:00am
post #2 of 10

I bought some in the sleeve (from country kitchens). A lot of people really rave about them, its not expensive and it doesnt need to be refrigerated. BUT I thought it was just so-so. It tasted like jelly donut filling to me. Not bad, but I think I might be turning into a cake snob.

I just recently made some. I just tweeked an Emeril recipe a little. It tasted good to me and didnt soak into the cake. I would really like to try it again to be sure though. But here is the one I made. I dont really know how much it made. I think I made two batches to fill a 8 and 6 inch round (torted 2-3 times)

12 oz. frozen raspberries (in the bag, not in the syrup)
2/3 cup water
3/4-1 cup sugar (or to taste)
1 T lemon juice
2 T cornstarch dissolved in 1/4 cup water

In saucepan combine raspberries and 2/3 cup water, lemon juice and sugar. Bring to boil. Simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the raspberries have broken down.. Remove from heat and strain in a fine mesh sieve. Return the strained mixture to the heat. Dissolve the cornstarch in water. Whisk the slurry into the raspberry mixture. Bring back to boil and simmer for 5 more minutes. Remove from heat and cool completely.

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 14 Jan 2007 , 12:02am
post #3 of 10

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&productId=619073

If you are able to purchase wholesale, you can also get it at www.ckproducts.com HTH

-Rezzy

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 14 Jan 2007 , 12:09am
post #4 of 10

For a cake that I recently made, I used the raspberry sleeve filling. I mixed in some seedless raspberry Polaner all fruit and it was just fabulous.... Honestly, everyone just loved it....

nancys_world Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancys_world Posted 14 Jan 2007 , 3:00am
post #5 of 10

I'm with merissa
I don't care for the tube filling. It just doesn't taste right to me either. Thought I'm sure alot of people use them.
Too funny that I also used the Emerils recipe too. Much tastier. And I don't like raspberries. The only problem I had was it was alittle too thin consistency to use as a filling so I mixed it with whipped cream. Very tasty!!! I've done this now with strawberry and cherry.
I guess it's all personal preference.

mypastrychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mypastrychef Posted 14 Jan 2007 , 3:06am
post #6 of 10

I go to walmart and buy smuckers/walmart brand seedless red rasberry preserves.

Easy and they usually always have it. I like it better than the expensive commercial preserves. You can also mix it into your buttercream.
mpc

MaraCarter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaraCarter Posted 14 Jan 2007 , 3:07am
post #7 of 10

The cake store in our town has the tubes. I have used the strawberry and everyone thought it was good. But I bet home made would be great also.

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 14 Jan 2007 , 3:18am
post #8 of 10

I've used the sleeved kind from a cake decorating store in the next town over and I think it's either CK products or the countrykitchens one. The strawberry was a bit too sweet for my taste but the raspberry one was actually kinda good. I just saw some on sugarcraft.com also.

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 14 Jan 2007 , 3:25am
post #9 of 10

Wow, thanks Merissa for sharing your recipe for the filling, sounds so good!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 14 Jan 2007 , 1:25pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancys_world

I'm with merissa
I don't care for the tube filling. It just doesn't taste right to me either. Thought I'm sure alot of people use them.
Too funny that I also used the Emerils recipe too. Much tastier. And I don't like raspberries. The only problem I had was it was alittle too thin consistency to use as a filling so I mixed it with whipped cream. Very tasty!!! I've done this now with strawberry and cherry.
I guess it's all personal preference.

Funny! I am pretty sure my filling was thick enough, but like I said I changed the recipe a bit. I was really paranoid that it was going soak into the cake as it was not a family cake. So I did a few sample pieces of white cake and let it sit overnight and it stayed put! The first time I made raspberry filling it was a complete disaster (soaking into the cake) The cake was completely drenched.

Oh and BTW, I did use the sleeve filling once and the person I made it for said they all really liked it and she would want it again. So like i said, I think I am just turning a little snooty about my cakes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%