Advice For The Right Icing Tips

Baking By KatesCakesBC Updated 5 Feb 2009 , 7:10pm by KatesCakesBC

KatesCakesBC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatesCakesBC Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 9

Hello,

I am making monster cupcakes for my sister's baby shower coming up next month. I have found several photos for inspiration (thanks fellow CC'ers) but have not had any success in copying the wonderful textures of icing that I've seen used for the little monster's fur! I am assuming it has to do with the icing tip I am using - I tried several different star tips but they just look "pokey" rather than furry - any advice? I heard from a friend to use the "grass tip" - would that work?

Do I need to use a firmer icing? My fav BC recipe tends to be quite fluffy - any suggestions? icon_smile.gif Thanks

8 replies
donnamshaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnamshaw Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 7:06pm
post #2 of 9

Have you tried the star tip? If I recall, it seems that many people use that to make "fur." But I haven't made them, so hopefully you will get a response from someone wiser than I. icon_smile.gif

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 7:06pm
post #3 of 9

try the grass tip it should work and a medium consistency icing should be fine

donnamshaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnamshaw Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 7:10pm
post #4 of 9

DOH! I should have read your post completely before answering. I am ashamed. (covers face)

zamku Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zamku Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 8:00pm
post #5 of 9

I think the grass tip should work fine.

teswade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teswade Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 8:11pm
post #6 of 9

All the Wilton books say to use the start tip but mine never come out like the picture! They are short and ugly. I have never tried the grass tip.

KatesCakesBC Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 9:28pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks Everyone!

EyeCandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EyeCandy Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 5:06pm
post #8 of 9

How did they turn out? I'd be curious to see pictures, I bet they are nice... I was going to suggest the grass tip as well, not by experience but by pictures of others I have seen.

KatesCakesBC Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 7:10pm
post #9 of 9

I haven't done them yet -- I will try to remember to post pics when I do - the Shower has been moved to April - so its still a ways away. But I practiced a new BC recipe last week that I think will work very well to give good texture to the fur and bought the grass tip! We'll see how it goes... Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%