Has Anyone Hear Of Fresh Cream?

Baking By mom2my3girlz Updated 20 Apr 2013 , 2:29am by t4h3r4

mom2my3girlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2my3girlz Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 2:51pm
post #1 of 13

SOmeone wants me to make a white cake with fresh cream and chocolate mousse filling. I didn't want her to know that I didn't know what she meant so I asked her do you want butter cream,Cream Cheese She said Vanilla. I still dont know what she means by Fresh Cream. Any ideas anyone?

12 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 3:32pm
post #2 of 13

Hmm, she could mean cream that is whipped into whipping cream.

Or

She could mean cream fraiche that is pronounced cream fresh. It's like a soft sour cream kinda stuff. You add buttermilk to cream and let it sit in a warm-ish not cool area for a few days and it kinda firms up.

Me, I would do whipping cream for filling for a boughten cake. (For a cake that I will sell)

I would make cream fraiche and serve it on the side with a cake for my family. But unless I diddled with it more I would not use this in a cake.

It is a more of an a la minute type of product, the ways I've seen it used, just used right then, not stuck in a cake to be left out for an undetermined length of time and I myself wouldn't do it right now.

But maybe some other folks have used it.

-K8memphis Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 3:35pm
post #3 of 13

But I mean Chef-boy was just here and I asked him about cream fraiche and he said it lasts a long time. But I haven't used it much is why I would not use it in a cake.

Chef-boy is the pastry chef in a 2 Michelin star restaurant in Napa area and he's my son.

snns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snns Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 3:45pm
post #4 of 13

Hi mom2my3girlz

Fresh cream in our place means Cream removed from milk which has a shelf life of max 5 days.Its different from whipping cream but they do substitute it a lot for the same.Have to say its got a very nice creamy flavor.

HTH

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 3:50pm
post #5 of 13

If someone asked me for that, I'd use whipping cream and whip it until it's thick.

cookieman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieman Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 3:51pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2my3girlz

SOmeone wants me to make a white cake with fresh cream and chocolate mousse filling. I didn't want her to know that I didn't know what she meant so I asked her do you want butter cream,Cream Cheese She said Vanilla. I still dont know what she means by Fresh Cream. Any ideas anyone?

I bet she meant fresh whipped cream that has been flavored with vanilla extract. You should just call her and say you were reviewing her order and that you want to make sure you are clear on everything. Just take the upper hand and be confident. You will look professional and the matter will be cleared up! thumbs_up.gif

-K8memphis Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 4:25pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by snns

Hi mom2my3girlz

Fresh cream in our place means Cream removed from milk which has a shelf life of max 5 days.Its different from whipping cream but they do substitute it a lot for the same.Have to say its got a very nice creamy flavor.

HTH

Well but not as a filling right?

Oh does she mean a cake made with fresh cream? I mean I don't think I can even get fresh cream, not real stuff. I mean there's that ultra stuff and shoot I'd ask her what she means. There's too many choices out there. You might guess it right but it's a gamble.

snns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snns Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 4:46pm
post #8 of 13

that would be the best to get it confirmed from her...

actually I've used it for fillings too..

http://www.ochef.com/823.htm

Hope the link works....and I think you should be able to substitute it.

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 4:54pm
post #9 of 13

What she means is whipped cream that has a vanilla flavor. Use the richs whipped topping, a product similar to cool whip but meant for cake decoration. I do this sort of cake everyday! Good luck!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 9:04pm
post #10 of 13

Ah. Gotta love it when non-bakers use weird terminology. I'd get her to define what she means. Don't worry about sounding like you don't know what she means, because SHE'S the one using non-standard jargon. She's most likely wanting whipped cream, but it's much better to verify before-hand! To stabilize whipping cream for cakes I use Dr. Oetker's Whip-It. I think it works much better (and easier) and results in a much tastier finished product than stabilizing whipped cream with gelatin. If you can't find it at your local store, you can order it online:
http://www.oetker.us/en/on-line-store

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 9:36pm
post #11 of 13

I agree with the above ... I am NEVER shy about flat out saying, "I'm sorry ....what is that?" icon_confused.gif Admitting your ignorance or un-familiarity with something is WAY better than delivering something they didn't want.

mom2rascals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2rascals Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 1:35am
post #12 of 13

We use the term "fresh farm cream" in Canada, which has a higher milk fat % than whipping cream. Its so thick already (almost like sour cream), that my DH used to "spread" it on a slice of bread with onions and pepper.

A lot of Ukrainian dishes use fresh farm cream. Melts in your mouth.

t4h3r4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
t4h3r4 Posted 20 Apr 2013 , 2:29am
post #13 of 13

It's so weird how in different places some products are so popular and in other places there not even heard of! 

I'm from London and here we have an abundant of shops that sell only "FRESH CREAM CAKES"! Sponge cakes that covered in freshly whipped heavy cream that may be stabilized and flavoured with vanilla.

Here's a link to my favourite fresh cream cake shop

https://eggfreecake.co.uk/

This is my second post so I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links so sorry if I am not.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%