Getting Really Irritated. Vent.

Business By karateka Updated 26 Jan 2009 , 3:19pm by iamlis

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 12:54am
post #31 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

Karateka, you've posted before about having lots of problems with tastings. I think that it is time for you to start charging-you've been stood up way too many times.

I am in the same boat. I get stood up a lot, and I am at the point where I am thinking about not even making wedding cakes because it is such a PITA. I'd rather just stick to party cakes where I don't have to deal with tasting appointments.

Believe me.....I'm almost there.

I guess I need to try to look at it this way:

I had 6 appointments today. 1 called and cancelled and apologized for the short notice. 2 no call/no showed (poopheads), 3 showed. So out of 6, at least 4 had manners. Still only a 66% record, but it's not a complete loss on the day.....right? icon_rolleyes.gif

I appreciate the responses....I'm going to seriously give this situation some thought and see what comes of it. It's been along day. I think I'm gonna hit the rack.

Thanks CC, for listening to me vent...again....

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 1:02am
post #32 of 38

karateka,
i was just wondering are any of the cakes in your photos your cakes? the ones i looked at say unknown just took a pic? just curious. thanks

heavenlys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlys Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 1:04am
post #33 of 38

We set up consultations on an individual basis with our brides. My tastings usually don't occur until after they have booked their cake with me and out down a $50 deposit. If they want a tasting before there si a $25 charge. If they then book their cake with us that $25 is applied to their deposit, if they are jjust looking to eat cake they just paid $25 for samples. I let them choose 4 cake flavors of our thirteen and then will offer filling that we may have left over.
Never had a bride complain and never had a no show for a tasting.

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 1:06am
post #34 of 38

scratch my last post..............something is wrong with my pc tonight, i only saw 1 page of pics under ur name, when i went back in i saw the rest. beautiful cakes, you will get your tasting down pact and they will go fine from there onm don't worry.

heavenlys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlys Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 1:06am
post #35 of 38

About the classes in saleswith your local chamber of commerce. Ours brings in guest speaker periodically to cove rdifferent topics and these classes are usually free to chamber members and inexpensive for others. Or possible an area small business administration office.

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 10:08am
post #36 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariu

karateka,
i was just wondering are any of the cakes in your photos your cakes? the ones i looked at say unknown just took a pic? just curious. thanks

The ones that don't say that are mine. I'm just uploading pic of OSSAS 07 that I had. I don't want people to think I"m claiming those....

Brontecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brontecakes Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 11:41am
post #37 of 38
Quote:
Quote:

....how long to thaw one of your squares of cake? I made exactly enough cake for my tastings today, thawed the whole bunch. Now I have a bunch that won't be used. Can I re-freeze it?

There is no problem with refreezing an uniced/unfrosted cake. I do it all the time. Just make sure it is in a well sealed container.

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 3:19pm
post #38 of 38

MARIU-It looks like a lot of the cakes in her profile are from a cake show-judging by Yoda I think it was OSSAS 2 years ago. She probably just tried to upload her pictures from that show icon_smile.gif

Anyway-My dear sweet Karateka-I am not sure what you are doing wrong, or even if you are! My customers always say what great customer service we have-I am sweet as honey to my customers but there are boundaries and those are clear as day. As far as tastings you do it the same way as me icon_smile.gif I take a Sunday and schedule 1 hour slots to bride but the slots cost $25.00-if they don't want to pay...that is FINE with me, they just don't get to do a tasting. Basically they have to pay that in order to schedule, and it can be deducted from there cost if they book with me. Why do I charge? Why am I the only one that charges in the area? 1 reason...whether the bride shows or not in that 1 hour slot I still have to pay my sitter for that hour of wasted time, and guess what-they always show! And they book too! It takes time, and patience and remember YOU are in charge!

This was the best way for me, because in all instances my time is worth something. As far as the cupcake samples go I give them a variety of my choice and if they want a flavor thats not there, I offer to SELL them an 8 inch round of that flavor icon_smile.gif Honestly, I know it sounds snarky but I think brides like knowing there vendors in high demand and not going to play cat and mouse. We had great success last weekend and booked EVERY single bride! ANd to be 100% honest with you ALL of my policies are in place because, I -like you was so disgusted and STOPPED doing weddings icon_smile.gif A few bridal referals that weren't interested in shopping around but knew they wanted to book with us changed my mind though-there is GREAT money to be made! So I HAD to birth a very precise method that would work on MY terms icon_smile.gif I will help you with any questions you have too! I am not saying it is the best policy to have but I am saying it works for my business and if someone has paid $25.00 for a 1 hour window of time...they show up and won't come late in fear of missing even a minute of that time icon_smile.gif Best of luck-you are a sweet gal, just dealing with brides that are shopping around in our struggling economy. Remember though sometimes you just have to deal with people that are just shopping icon_smile.gif GOOD LUCK LADY!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%