Questions On Working With Mmf

Decorating By bubblezmom Updated 17 Aug 2005 , 8:22pm by bubblezmom

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 2:16am
post #1 of 5

I tried the MMF and the cake turned out very pretty (IMO) for a first try. I almost trashed the MMF because it kept cracking. I had already nuked it once, but I nuked it again and that did the trick. I smoothed the top and sides of the cake with my hands and used a pizza cutter to cut off the excess off the bottom. It looked great! No bulges! My family was duly impressed. So was I cause I just slapped a thin layer of frosting on the cake and did not smooth the frosting before applying the MMF. icon_razz.gif I used regular food coloring and watermelon flavoring to make MMF cutouts. It was so very easy.

Question: How do you fix any mistakes in the MMF? One tiny spot at the bottom of the cake got snagged by the pizza cutter. Do you melt more marshmallows and do a patch job?

Question: To decorate with MMF do you trace patterns and then cut out with an exacto knife? My smallest cookie cutter is a star and that was still big for a 9in round.

I was very doubtful about all the rave reviews of MMF. I'm glad I gave it a try. Thanks!

4 replies
ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 2:23am
post #2 of 5

Glad to hear your MMF worked out for you .. I cut my designs out when the fondant is on the cake .. you can press the design into the cake and cut with a knive or if your use cookie cutters, you can usually make them cut through the fondant... I did a cake with hearts like that.. I cut out the heart on the MMF that was applied to the cake and then cut another heart of the same size in a different color and put into the heart that was cut out on the cake ...

as far as patching MMF, I can't say I've tried to do it.. I wouldn't think it could be covered up very well though ... you may be able to apply a flower or a border to cover your flaw .. Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

bubblezmom Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 12:23pm
post #3 of 5

My neice was helped with the baby while I made the mmf so I let her take the cake home. She was one happy camper. I will have to make another mmf cake soon so I can see how much it hardens, how hard it is to cut and how much buttercream to appply.

Thanks for the info. I did not tuck any of the fondant underneath my cake so the one little snag really showed. I was not taking my time when I applied the fondant to the cake. The pizza cutter actually worked quite well. It's the ergonomic kind that fits in the palm of your hand.

One more question: I read that you can refridgerate regular fondant cakes as long as they are wrapped in plastic wrap. Can you refrigerate mmf or will the colors bleed? TIA

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 1:54pm
post #4 of 5

bubblesmom, Wilton makes small cutters, especially for fondant cutters. I've seen them at Michaels'.

bubblezmom Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 8:22pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks. I've been avoiding Micheals so I won't be tempted to buy anything. icon_razz.gif I am completely off track b/c I am supposed to be practicing bundt cake for my moms bday this wkend. Oops!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%