Sugarshack Icing And Kitchenaid Questions

Decorating By yellobutterfly Updated 23 Jan 2009 , 8:13pm by yellobutterfly

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 3:21pm
post #1 of 15

Ok, have the dvds - love them. Made the icing yesterday for the first time - love it! Here are my questions, I was hoping some of you who have made this icing could answer:

1. When I made the icing, as I was putting in the last 2 pounds of powdered sugar, I started smelling a burning smell. No smoke, nothing - just a burning smell (you know like plastic burning?)...coming from my kitchenaid. Is that normal for this recipe since it is so full? My kitchenaid is the same one she uses in the youtube link - an Artisan w/a 5qt bowl. It was on speed one at this point (as in the video), but still smelled burning...It never quit on me, at the specified point I turned it up to speed 6. It continued working fine, but the smell concerned me - have I ruined my mixer, or was it just complaining?

2.The creamer I used was generic (HEB brand) powdered coffee creamer...it does not specify "non-dairy." Underneath the ingredient list is says contains: milk, soy. She says in the dvd that her creamer is non-dairy therefore non-perishable...do you think my icing needs to be refridgerated, did I get the wrong creamer, or is this the same thing?
Help!

3. What does wedding bouquet taste like? I tried Princess a few weeks ago and did NOT like it, so I don't want to waste my money if wedding bouquet tastes the same.

Hope someone can shed some light on my questions, Thanks for reading,the icing by the way, was BEAUTIFUL!! And I loved it.

14 replies
tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 3:30pm
post #2 of 15

yeah, I would not really like the burning smell either, maybe turn it up to speed 2 instead of 1. I have found with my kitchen aid that if I let it go a little faster then it does not seem to struggle as bad. I am sure the mixer is not damaged at this point as there have been many times that I have smelled this on mine and it is still working just fine.
I use the coffemate creamer and it does say non-dairy so not really sure about if you should put in fridge.
the wedding bouquet did taste real yummy and I loved the smell of it but I thought it was real pricy for a small amount. I have come across a flavor called cream bokay made by peerless (I get at my supplier) and it is really good. I have had lots of comments on it since I started using it. It has kind of a fruity smell to it but it is not real sweet.

hope this helps

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 3:32pm
post #3 of 15

My kitchenaid got very hot the first few times I made sugarshack's icing--I've since changed the recipe just a bit to make it a little thinner and my mixer handles it much better. I too was worried, but I've made a gazillion batches of it since and all's well! I use straight milk in place of the creamer and have had no problems with it--there is something about the milk to sugar ratio that makes everything fine--sort of preserves the milk, just like in all BC recipes--got that info from Indy at some point.

yellobutterfly Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 5:26pm
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mencked

My kitchenaid got very hot the first few times I made sugarshack's icing--I've since changed the recipe just a bit to make it a little thinner and my mixer handles it much better. I too was worried, but I've made a gazillion batches of it since and all's well! I use straight milk in place of the creamer and have had no problems with it--there is something about the milk to sugar ratio that makes everything fine--sort of preserves the milk, just like in all BC recipes--got that info from Indy at some point.

So when you make a cake, and have leftover icing, do you just leave it at room temp even with the milk? And there's no need to refridgerate the leftover icing or the iced cake? (ha I hope so, cuz I left it out yesterday and didn't think about it!)

yellobutterfly Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 5:29pm
post #5 of 15

I thought of another question, as I was making my icing yesterday it kept climbing up the sides of the bowl, even hanging on the top ledge! The bottom of the bowl would be almost empty because the icing kept climbing up - is that normal for this recipe? Finally towards the end (after much scraping down) it did create that vacuum...

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 6:56pm
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellobutterfly

Ok, have the dvds - love them. Made the icing yesterday for the first time - love it! Here are my questions, I was hoping some of you who have made this icing could answer:

1. When I made the icing, as I was putting in the last 2 pounds of powdered sugar, I started smelling a burning smell. No smoke, nothing - just a burning smell (you know like plastic burning?)...coming from my kitchenaid. Is that normal for this recipe since it is so full? My kitchenaid is the same one she uses in the youtube link - an Artisan w/a 5qt bowl. It was on speed one at this point (as in the video), but still smelled burning...It never quit on me, at the specified point I turned it up to speed 6. It continued working fine, but the smell concerned me - have I ruined my mixer, or was it just complaining?

smoky smell is not normal and not good. u will burn your motor if that keeps up. my motor gets hot, but never smells.

2.The creamer I used was generic (HEB brand) powdered coffee creamer...it does not specify "non-dairy." Underneath the ingredient list is says contains: milk, soy. She says in the dvd that her creamer is non-dairy therefore non-perishable...do you think my icing needs to be refridgerated, did I get the wrong creamer, or is this the same thing?
Help!

i am sure it is the same as mine and will be fine

3. What does wedding bouquet taste like? I tried Princess a few weeks ago and did NOT like it, so I don't want to waste my money if wedding bouquet tastes the same.

it is a blend of almond, vanilla, butter, and other secret flavors in there. Just tatses like wedding cake icing! LOL

Hope someone can shed some light on my questions, Thanks for reading,the icing by the way, was BEAUTIFUL!! And I loved it.

glad u liked the icing!

sugarshack Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 6:59pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:

I thought of another question, as I was making my icing yesterday it kept climbing up the sides of the bowl, even hanging on the top ledge! The bottom of the bowl would be almost empty because the icing kept climbing up - is that normal for this recipe? Finally towards the end (after much scraping down) it did create that vacuum...

you have to work that icing down with your spoon thru the whole mixing process like in the clip:

Just keep working it baby! and it is ok to turn the mixer off to push the icing down when u need to.

yellobutterfly Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 7:24pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

Quote:

smoky smell is not normal and not good. u will burn your motor if that keeps up. my motor gets hot, but never smells.

Help!

it is a blend of almond, vanilla, butter, and other secret flavors in there. Just tatses like wedding cake icing! LOL

glad u liked the icing!

Thanks so much for answering all of my questions!

So does the icing keep @ room temp pretty much forever, lol?

So the wedding bouquet is not citrusy? (like creme boquet?)

sugarshack Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 7:27pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Help!

glad u liked the icing!

Thanks so much for answering all of my questions!

So does the icing keep @ room temp pretty much forever, lol?

no, not forever, lol. over a week or two it goes in fridge or freezer

So the wedding bouquet is not citrusy? (like creme boquet?)

i think it has a touch of CB in it ( not sure) but it is in no way citrusy or anything like CB ( which i dislike)

yellobutterfly Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 7:33pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:

i think it has a touch of CB in it ( not sure) but it is in no way citrusy or anything like CB ( which i dislike)

Thanks for clearing that up, I'm not big on citrus either, so I'll have to look for wedding bouquet next time I'm @ the cake shop...

sugarshack Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 7:41pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for clearing that up, I'm not big on citrus either, so I'll have to look for wedding bouquet next time I'm @ the cake shop...

not sold in cake shops.

either at global or direclty from the lady who makes it:

B & B Cake Decorating Supplies

1 review - Write a review

13096 Shannon Ln
Hammond, LA 70401

(985) 542-8079

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 8:05pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:

I am on my third Kitchen Aid, and I am only a hobby baker.. I don't use the icing recipe you are using, but I have learned to be kind to my mixer... icon_smile.gif Read this for further info...
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-600845-0.html

yellobutterfly Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 8:07pm
post #13 of 15

sorry double post

yellobutterfly Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 8:08pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

not sold in cake shops.

either at global or direclty from the lady who makes it:

B & B Cake Decorating Supplies

1 review - Write a review

13096 Shannon Ln
Hammond, LA 70401

(985) 542-8079

ooooohhh...I'm glad you told me that, I'll check it out!

Thank you soooooo much - you're awesome!!

yellobutterfly Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 8:13pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesByLJ

Quote:

I am on my third Kitchen Aid, and I am only a hobby baker.. I don't use the icing recipe you are using, but I have learned to be kind to my mixer... icon_smile.gif Read this for further info...
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-600845-0.html

very helpful and informative, thanks for the link!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%