What Is Yellow Cake For??

Decorating By SaraClassic Updated 22 Jan 2009 , 3:51pm by SaraClassic

SaraClassic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraClassic Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 5:23pm
post #1 of 29

OK I love my cakes and flavors, simple or gourmet. But someone asked me for a yellow cake yesterday and I'll make it but Ive always wondered what is it? I find it to be a dryer form of a white cake with no flavor, and just never use it. Enlighten me so I have some ideas and uses for this cake that everyone else seems to use often.
Thanks in advance, you guys are great !

28 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 5:29pm
post #2 of 29

I love yellow cake. I put a little butter flavoring in it and we're good to go. Then I just use some butter cream to fill and ice the cake. I'm sure that you could put other fillings in with it. But it's one of my favorites! And mine is not dry at all..but super moist. (It's a scratch recipe from serious_cakes I believe).

MistyRomack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MistyRomack Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 5:30pm
post #3 of 29

I've always considered a yellow cake to be a white cake strictly using butter for the oil, and the whole egg, not just egg white. And if you don't want a dryer version, add a 1/2 cup of vanilla yogurt to the batter. Helps with dryness!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 5:30pm
post #4 of 29

White cake uses egg whites only...no yellow color. Yellow cake uses the whole egg, yolk and all.....yellow color. That's the simplest explanation. The drier aspect doesn't make sense. Egg yolks add moisture, making it richer and more dense...so drier? Not possible.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 5:33pm
post #5 of 29

I've always thought yellow cake had a slightly buttery-er flavor than white cake. This is me just thinking out loud here, but perhaps yellow cake was the standard and white cake came about for weddings? I totally pulled that out of the sky so don't quote me on it.

If you'd like a recipe, Serious_Cakes as a SUPERB yellow cake recipe. In fact, I would say it's a little more on the white side than yellow, but she calls it yellow cake. Here's a video tutorial:

Her recipe won't let you down, it's great, and her video tutorials are also very well done.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 5:34pm
post #6 of 29

MHO is that yellow cake evolved from old fashioned pound cakes, etc. People loved those flavors and wanted them to become something other than a tube cake... That's not fact as far as I know, just my personal take on how they might have evolved from tubes to layers. The use of whole eggs and butter is what brought the "yellow" to the batter when it was made from scratch. Now yellow cakes seem to be known more abundantly as what we get out of a box. I, personally, am not much of a "yellow" cake fan as I think it looks so fake. If you use a mix, Cake Mix Doctor has a good yellow cake that starts with white mix and adds whole eggs, etc. It comes out a softer more buttery yellow than the bright yellow of mixes labeled "yellow."

__Jamie__ Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 5:37pm
post #7 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

This is me just thinking out loud here, but perhaps yellow cake was the standard and white cake came about for weddings? I totally pulled that out of the sky so don't quote me on it.

Sounds good to me!

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 5:44pm
post #8 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie85364

Quote:

This is me just thinking out loud here, but perhaps yellow cake was the standard and white cake came about for weddings? I totally pulled that out of the sky so don't quote me on it.

Sounds good to me!

icon_surprised.gif nooo! you quoted me!!! icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 5:50pm
post #9 of 29

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

okred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okred Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 6:01pm
post #10 of 29

I guess it doesn't make sense to me. White is not a flavour nor is yellow, they are colors. So what I say is Vanilla cake and I use whole eggs, I don't make "white" or "yellow" cake. Hope this helps!!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 6:02pm
post #11 of 29

Yeah... yellow cakes use the whole eggs and white cakes just the whites, and I always find the opposite to be true.. white cakes are drier (or spongier in texture) than yellow cakes. My 'yellow cake' is not very yellow, but it does use egg yolks where my white does not.

Cake mixes add more yellow coloring giving a yellow cake a rather yellow cast to it, but scratch yellow cakes are not screaming yellow. I find when people refer to a yello cake they are speaking of a vanilla butter cake and a white cakes is more of a sponge.

SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 6:04pm
post #12 of 29

I always felt that yellow cake was moister than white cake, with more flavour.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 6:05pm
post #13 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by okred

I guess it doesn't make sense to me. White is not a flavour nor is yellow, they are colors. So what I say is Vanilla cake and I use whole eggs, I don't make "white" or "yellow" cake. Hope this helps!!

I agree with this sentiment wholeheartedly too.. I make a vanilla butter cake and a sponge

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 6:25pm
post #14 of 29
Quote:
Quote:

100% in agreement.

okred... you from 'round these here parts? icon_lol.gif The reason I ask is that you spell flavor "flavour" which is more European. The reason I say that is: people here in the states like to call their cakes by the color (white, yellow, red velvet, red devil's food, etc.) I tend to lean toward your labels: vanilla, butter, etc. For whatever reason people love to ask for "plain yellow cake." Bleck!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 6:30pm
post #15 of 29

Yep - yellow is a color.

My white cake uses whole eggs so when someone orders "yellow" I add coloring and butter flavoring.

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 6:54pm
post #16 of 29

I have always stayed away from this recipe because it calls for Crisco in the batter (just sounds wrong to me although I know people do it, I have only used butter in my cakes my whole life). Has anyone substituted butter in this recipe?? Just wondering. I think I am going to try the recipe this weekend with the Crisco. Im scared icon_surprised.gif But I trust my fellow CC'rs! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote:

I've always thought yellow cake had a slightly buttery-er flavor than white cake. This is me just thinking out loud here, but perhaps yellow cake was the standard and white cake came about for weddings? I totally pulled that out of the sky so don't quote me on it.

If you'd like a recipe, Serious_Cakes as a SUPERB yellow cake recipe. In fact, I would say it's a little more on the white side than yellow, but she calls it yellow cake. Here's a video tutorial:

Her recipe won't let you down, it's great, and her video tutorials are also very well done.

tatetart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatetart Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 6:59pm
post #17 of 29

Typically, White cakes have a finer texture and are whiter because beaten egg whites are folded into the batter.

Yellow cakes have a bit denser crumb and are made from either whole eggs or egg yolks only, giving them a yellow tint. I, too, find they have a more buttery flavour.

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 9:16pm
post #18 of 29

okred- 'round here folks ask for 'vanilla' cake and can mean either white or yellow! icon_confused.gif So I offer an Almond White and a Butter Yellow. thumbs_up.gif

rocketmom1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketmom1985 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 9:27pm
post #19 of 29

To me, yellow cake is very simply a moisty buttery vehicle to deliver raspberry filling and buttercream to my face. I would say "pie hole" but I hate that expression... icon_twisted.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 9:31pm
post #20 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketmom1985

To me, yellow cake is very simply a moisty buttery vehicle to deliver raspberry filling and buttercream to my face. I would say "pie hole" but I hate that expression... icon_twisted.gif

Ha! icon_lol.gif

tatetart Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 11:31pm
post #21 of 29
Quote:
Quote:

"rocketmom1985"To me, yellow cake is very simply a moisty buttery vehicle to deliver raspberry filling and buttercream to my face. I would say "pie hole" but I hate that expression... icon_twisted.gif

Well said!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 12:17am
post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketmom1985

This is true...LOL

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 4:44am
post #23 of 29

I hate yellow cakes. To me, they have a course texture, like cornbread, and they always taste drier and nasty. I have NEVER had a yellow cake that tasted better than crap itself.....mine or anyone else's.

HATE YELLOW CAKE!!

And there is more than just a color difference between "Yellow" cake and "white" cake. A definite taste diff, a definite texture difference.

tatetart Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 4:59am
post #24 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I hate yellow cakes. To me, they have a course texture, like cornbread, and they always taste drier and nasty. I have NEVER had a yellow cake that tasted better than crap itself.....mine or anyone else's.

HATE YELLOW CAKE!!

And there is more than just a color difference between "Yellow" cake and "white" cake. A definite taste diff, a definite texture difference.

And I had just baked you a 10 layer yellow cake... icon_rolleyes.gif

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 5:09am
post #25 of 29

this is a delicious "yellow" cake! http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Moist-Yellow-Cake-109358 ...and like the others...i call it vanilla. whole eggs, real butter and vanilla, YUM. this recipe also calls for cake flour and if you follow the instructions, and serve at room temperature, this cake is wonderful!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 5:20am
post #26 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by couturiere

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

HATE YELLOW CAKE!!

And I had just baked you a 10 layer yellow cake... icon_rolleyes.gif

uh .... um .... well .... uh .... I mean except YOUR cakes of course! icon_redface.gificon_biggrin.gif

tatetart Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 5:30am
post #27 of 29
Quote:
Quote:

uh.... um .... well .... uh .... I mean except YOUR cakes of course! icon_redface.gificon_biggrin.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 6:51am
post #28 of 29

I love yellow cake, but love it even better when I put Butavan Flavoring in it... IMO, it taste so yummyyy with the Butavan in it.

God Bless,
Sharon

SaraClassic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraClassic Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 3:51pm
post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by okred

Good pint, I I just didnt like saying "yellow" cake either, lol. Sounded boring. Maybe I'll go for vanilla since I have a great "butter" recipe.
Thank you all SO much for your opinions on this topic, I just wasnt sure where to go with it.
CC'ers are the best help !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%