Air In Buttercream!?

Decorating By cupcakemkr Updated 22 Jan 2009 , 3:24pm by cupcakemkr

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 5:15pm
post #1 of 17

Can you help me determine why I get so many air pockets in my buttercream? I used seriouscakes bc recipe (tastes great) and I just got the beater blade so I may have over beat it?
I am trying to attach a photo of the cake I made using the bc. (if it dosen't attach it is the topsy turvey in my photos).
I would appreciate any tips/hints you may have to get my BC smoother. Thanks!!

ETA: Couldn't get it to attach, guess I need help with that too! icon_razz.gif

16 replies
Imapirate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Imapirate Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 7:24pm
post #2 of 17

If you use a spatula to beat out the air, this should eliminate the problem. I find that the Kitchen Aid's always incorporate too much air regardless of the attachment.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 7:46pm
post #3 of 17

if you fill that bowl side to side and over the paddle you will get airless icing

see here:

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 7:47pm
post #4 of 17

Also mix on a lower speed. High speed will cause air. I use sugarshack's method and it works great.

beth2027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beth2027 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 7:55pm
post #5 of 17

Ditto on the Sugarshack method. Just fill that up till it's over the paddle. I've never had such smooth buttercream until I started doing that.

adamsgama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsgama Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 7:58pm
post #6 of 17

Have your DVD on buttercream. Do you know what measurements I would use for a 4.5 KA

Thanks, Sue

tammy712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammy712 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 8:13pm
post #7 of 17

Sue Here is the link for sugarshack's buttercream in the 4.5

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-583376.html

cupcakemkr Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 8:28pm
post #8 of 17

Sugarshack - I had my bowl (4.5 qt KA) filled until there was only about 1/2 inch of space left - I had to put the spill cover on because it was practically overflowing! I've watched your video SEVERAL times, thank you for that video instruction BTW. My paddle was more than covered. Any other ideas?

ETA: I mixed it on stir and 2, then as sugarshack does went to 4 for about 5-6 minutes.

sugarshack Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 10:08pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakemkr

Sugarshack - I had my bowl (4.5 qt KA) filled until there was only about 1/2 inch of space left - I had to put the spill cover on because it was practically overflowing! I've watched your video SEVERAL times, thank you for that video instruction BTW. My paddle was more than covered. Any other ideas?

ETA: I mixed it on stir and 2, then as sugarshack does went to 4 for about 5-6 minutes.

either:

1) you need a atd more liquid

2) you need to get that pcing down into the belly of the bowl with your spoon when it starts climbing the side

3) do both of above

4) write out your recipe for me of what u put in bowl and i will see what i think

HTH

cupcakemkr Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 11:25pm
post #10 of 17

Thanks Sharon, I appreciate the help.

I doubled this recipe:

3 Sticks of Butter
2/3 cup Shortening
2T Vanilla
5T Heavy Cream
2# Powdered Sugar
2T Heavy Cream
2T Corn Syrup

it was VERY thick so I added about 4T more heavy cream and 2T more corn syrup
I was pushing it down so that the icing above the paddle would combine but it was not touching side to side, it was about 1/2 inch shy of it. Would it have touched if I thinned it out more or mixed it longer?

Thanks for any ideas you may have!

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 11:54pm
post #11 of 17

The BeaterBlade is the problem, it pulls the frosting off the sides of the bowl, effectively scraping your bowl but also beating air bubbles into it. While I love the Blade for the smoothness it gives me, the air bubbles can be frustrating. I have started to use it for getting all my ingredients together then I switch to my normal blade to get the bubbles out.

cupcakemkr Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 11:57pm
post #12 of 17

UGH! two blade to wash! LOL. I will definately give this a try. Thanks Seriouscakes - LOVE the frosting and I really enjoy watching you decorate. It's great of you to share your talents.

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 12:16am
post #13 of 17

lol-well, I don't ALWAYS use both icon_lol.gif My kitchen is so cold though that even if I soften the butter it tends to harden right back up pretty quickly. The Beater Blade gets everything blended pretty quickly in spite of the cold icon_biggrin.gif

sugarshack Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 12:56am
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakemkr

Thanks Sharon, I appreciate the help.

I doubled this recipe:

3 Sticks of Butter
2/3 cup Shortening
2T Vanilla
5T Heavy Cream
2# Powdered Sugar
2T Heavy Cream
2T Corn Syrup

it was VERY thick so I added about 4T more heavy cream and 2T more corn syrup
I was pushing it down so that the icing above the paddle would combine but it was not touching side to side, it was about 1/2 inch shy of it. Would it have touched if I thinned it out more or mixed it longer?

yes, sometimes a little more liquid is all it takes to get it to fill out side to side but you do have to work it down like i showed on that clip also.
Thanks for any ideas you may have!

I have no experince with the beater blade so i would try it one time with just the regualr paddle and see how you do.

cupcakemkr Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 2:40pm
post #15 of 17

Sharon and Seriouscakes - Thank you so much for your thoughts, I appreciate your advice and will use it next time I am making my bc.

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 3:06pm
post #16 of 17

I also get air bubbles in my butter creme, I just got a kitchen aid and have never used it yet. I watched the sugarshack video bu had no sound, so Im still a little lost. Is it possible to find out what ingred. were used and do I have to use the paddle?

cupcakemkr Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 3:24pm
post #17 of 17

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%