White Chocolate Candy Clay

Decorating By Kiwi777 Updated 23 Jan 2009 , 2:09pm by SeriousCakes

Kiwi777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiwi777 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 4:35pm
post #1 of 12

Hello everyone! I want to make some white chocolate candy clay to cover a cake, but the Wilton white choc. buttons that I have used are really more of a dingy colour than I would like. I know that Wilton also has the candy paste colours, but does anyone know of a colour that I can add to make the candy clay even whiter? (Is there such a thing as white paste colour????) I really like working with this stuff....great for covering cakes and making roses, etc., but I'm disappointed in the white icon_sad.gif Please help if you know of a solution. Thanks so much!

11 replies
cookieman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 10:03pm
post #3 of 12

Candy melts and chocolate need oil-based pigments - regular gels will cause seizing. Americolor makes a product called Flo-Coat that will emulsify the pigment into the candy, and I'm sure there are other products as well. There probably are powdered or oil-based white pigments that will help - think it is basically titanium dioxide in a carrier. I have both water-soluble and oil-soluble titanium dioxide for my soapmaking.....

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 3:10am
post #4 of 12

I know what you are talking about, the so called "white" Wilton candy melts are a little yellow.

When I need white what I do is go ahead and make the candy clay and while it is still warm and add the Wilton white (like Cookieman suggested) until it is as white as I want it.

If you have a Hobby Lobby near you, they sell a different brand of candy melts (can't remember at this moment) and they are pure white, you don't have to add a thing.

HTH

buttawhench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttawhench Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 3:13am
post #5 of 12

I get candy melt from a chocolate supply store called. The candy melts name is Merckens (sp) They have an ivory color and a true white.

buttawhench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttawhench Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 3:20am
post #6 of 12

Can I add colored fondant to the clay instead of buying oil based colors?

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 3:26am
post #7 of 12

You can also get the white candies at AC Moore. Such a brighter and nicer color.

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 4:17am
post #8 of 12

There are candy melts that are "white" white. I had the same problem then found the pure white ones.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 4:49am
post #9 of 12

Can it be made w/ almond bark? It's really white

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 5:23am
post #10 of 12

I've used the Wilton candy melts with the white-white and it worked great! I made a Phantom of the Opera mask for my daughter's birthday and it was really white. HTH

eldag0615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eldag0615 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 1:53pm
post #11 of 12

How do you do the chocolate clay?

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 2:09pm
post #12 of 12

I also get my candy melts from AC Moore, I think the brand is called Candymaker. I did a comparison awhile ago:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-598265.html
If you wait until the clay has set up you can use regular Wilton Gels to color it, I knead it in. I recently used this on my teapot cake too:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1301652

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%