How Far Have You Driven To Deliver A Cake?

Decorating By VannaD Updated 21 Jan 2009 , 12:13am by deliciously_decadent

VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 5:30pm
post #1 of 21

Im making a Baby Shower cake for my cousin in February. Its going to be 2 tiers, but im transporting, then putting it together. Anyway thinking about that delivery....thats 40 miles, on Louisian roads, i was wondering whats the farthest you guys have traveled to deliver? I'm just curious, and if you have any tips, please let me know. Did i mention im traveling Louisiana roads? Not the interstate either, she lives in the sticks, we are going down 40 miles of back roads! Im just glad its still winter, not that that matters, it was 70 degrees here for christmas, but hopefully it wont be any hotter than 60.... and if im lucky maybe some cloud cover! Cant blame a girl for wishful thinking! Anyway.. how far have you guys traveled?

20 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 6:00pm
post #2 of 21

I delivered my niece's castle cake over 100 miles. icon_eek.gif Talk about a nerve-wracking drive.

I delivered my sister's wedding cake about 60 miles.

It will be fine. icon_smile.gif Just make sure the climate in the car is not too warm. Get some non-skid mats to set the cakes on, and take the corners easy. thumbs_up.gif

VannaD Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 6:33pm
post #3 of 21

Thank you Kelley! I will defiantely be taking corners easy. My dad lives a couple blocks from where im delivering to, so ill stop at his house first and put the cake togehter and add finishing touches! Thanks again

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 6:39pm
post #4 of 21

I delivered this cake and 12 dozen cupcakes 7 hours... EACH WAY! icon_rolleyes.gif
LL

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 6:40pm
post #5 of 21

The furthest I have been so far was a 4 hour round trip, but then again you can pretty much go from one end of the country to the other in that time! It was May, warm, wedding cake was ganache filled and fondant covered, but it was fine. I assembled on site. My OH delivered another wedding cake in August 1 1/2 hours away fully assembled, but again fondant and center dowelled, that too was fine - it can be done!

sdrper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sdrper Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 6:40pm
post #6 of 21

In October 07 My sister and I delivered a cake about 175 miles away and then in November 07 we delivered one about 180 miles the other direction. The one in October we assembled once we got to the site and the other we delivered assembled. Both were wedding cakes.

sdrper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sdrper Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 6:43pm
post #7 of 21

oop icon_redface.gif sorry

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 6:56pm
post #8 of 21

199 miles but the cake was built on-site, I never take a fully assembled cake more than a few miles...I live in the hill country of Texas...way too risky! icon_wink.gif

VannaD Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 7:47pm
post #9 of 21

Well alrighty! I love hearing how far everyone's traveled with cakes! Compared to most of you guys the distance im going is pretty short!

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 7:58pm
post #10 of 21

150 miles one way. I even drove it stacked and ready to go.... icon_smile.gif
LL

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 7:59pm
post #11 of 21

furthest was 4 hours for my nephew's wedding. It's not unusual for me to drive an hour or so (one way) for delivery. It's not all the time ... but it's not unusual.

And most of the time, I also have a van full of food and equipment for the buffet, too.

mlynnb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlynnb Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 8:11pm
post #12 of 21

I drove 8 hours for my brother's wedding cake --but I assembled on site. Too many mountains in western PA to drive it assembled!!! icon_lol.gif

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 8:15pm
post #13 of 21

I always drive at least 35 miles one way (I'm in the middle of nowhere located on really horrible country roads--I mean gravel and dirt roads). Since discovering SPS I have even delivered 3-4 tier cakes totally assembled, and after that first one, no worry either!! The farthest I've taken a wedding cake was about 90 miles and a birthday cake for my mom traveled 7 hours.

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 8:16pm
post #14 of 21

I drove a wedding cake and a groom's cake from Houston to Abilene to Wichita Falls last June. I had the back seats of my car folded down so that the AC could circulate through the trunk, plus I put styrofoam coolers of ice back there to cool things off too. Everything arrived just fine, but I don't recommend that to anyone. This was also my first wedding cake and first groom's cake ever. icon_biggrin.gif
LL
LL

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 8:19pm
post #15 of 21

My deliveries are always atleast an hour to two hours away because I live out in chicken farmland! But I drove my mom's 80th birthday cake which was a basket cake with gumpaste flowers from MD to CT which was an 8 hour ride. No problems what so ever!
I would just make sure anything that is breakable like flowers or gumpaste items, to box them up in batting or somthing to cushion them. Then if your cake is tiered, box them up separatly also. Use a nonskid mat under the boxes (the kind you buy to put under throw rugs) and make sure you have things positioned around it so it cant move around. Believe it or not but balloons work really good and are cheap! And make sure that there is nothing that can topple over onto it! Good luck!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 8:27pm
post #16 of 21

I have a 4 tiered wedding cake to deliver in a couple of week about 60 miles away. Even though I have SPS, I am not brave enough to assemble it first. I am a horrible person to drive with when I have cakes in the car-yelling, freaking out, driving about 30 mph. It's terrible. I try to go to great lengths to not deliver.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 8:35pm
post #17 of 21

The furthest I've driven a wedding cake was 2 hrs. each way.......but I've driven plenty of carved, stacked cakes from Ohio to New Jersey for birthdays and such.........it's roughly 8 hrs. drive each way. The worst part about those deliveries is that my DH could care less that there is a cake in the car and just throws the suitcases around like nothing while I stand there freaking out!!! lol MEN!

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 8:54pm
post #18 of 21

i jave driven a four tierer fondant cake preassemnled and decorated 160 miles each way in 90 degree weather that was fun! 5.5 hr round trip! worth it though as the bride paid almost as much for delivery as she did the cake! had no problems either which was great as i was stressing about the distance my average is around 60 miles for deliveries so big difference! icon_biggrin.gif but it was mostly motorway which i was very thankfull for and i made sure i center doweld really well and left early to avoid to much heat

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 10:14pm
post #19 of 21

my furthest ride with a cake was from Brooklyn to the Hamptons....about 120 miles. But it was a pocketbook cake and there was no real fear of it toppling.....

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 10:56pm
post #20 of 21

I've taken pre stacked cakes 6 hours for different things with my family. Most of the way is highway and interstate but we had to get to the paved road first. icon_lol.gif

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 12:13am
post #21 of 21

i have had quite a few brides famalies drive my cakes 5 hrs after i refuse to deliver them that far away one of them was a five tierer! another a four tier wonky style and they all got there fine! i just wouldn't want to face a 10 hr minimum round trip for one cake and imagine the delivery fee! i hope you all are charging massive $ to deliver cakes that far away! unless they are family, i hav to fly to the other side of AUS in september for a wedding and am going a week early to do the cake, its a three day drive so i will fly over and make it there

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%