Want To Turn Hobby Into Legal Part Time Business...what Next

Business By duchess1120 Updated 24 Jan 2009 , 1:52pm by leah_s

duchess1120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
duchess1120 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 3:33pm
post #1 of 5

I live in nc and do not have a license to work out of my home but do have to get the ok from the health department. I had a visit from the health department and received their ok.

I want to make a 1-2 cakes a month as a hobby and earn extra money but want to be legitimate.

what is my next step.

4 replies
bakery_chick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakery_chick Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 3:47pm
post #2 of 5

Once you have the ok from the health dept. I believe the next step is to get your business license from the city.

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 4:06pm
post #3 of 5

hi duchess1120. i'm in va and trying to do the same. after i was inspected ($40 fee) by the dept of agriculture i contacted my city treasurer's office who directed me to the zoning codes compliance dept to fill out forms and get permission ($35 fee) to bake and sell in my home. i am not allowed to have customer's come to my home and pick up orders so it's delivery only in my area. then on to the circuit court office to record my business name ($10 fee) and then to the commisioner's office for my business license ($50 annual fee). not sure about NC but hopefully this info will help point you in the right direction.

duchess1120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
duchess1120 Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 11:43am
post #4 of 5

Bumping for more input.

Thanks for the responses.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 1:52pm
post #5 of 5

1. Verify with the local zoning authority, AND your homeowners association (if any) and read your deed. There may be deed restrictions or binding elements that affect a biz from your home.
2. Register with local, state and federal taxing authorities, generally Revenue Commissions.
3. Register your biz name with local and state agencies.
4. Set up some form of legal biz, such as incorporation to protect your personal assets.
5. Get liability insurance. (Generally $1 million.)
6. If you're using your (formerly) personal car for deliveries, contact your insurance carrier about switching to commercial vehicle insurance.
7. Register a domain name and get a website up and running.
8. Set up some type of bookkeeping system (can be simple) to track sales and receipts for taxes.
9. Learn how to complete all the tax forms.

Quote by @%username% on %date%