Torted Cake Question

Decorating By SandraVB79 Updated 21 Jan 2009 , 2:49am by prterrell

SandraVB79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraVB79 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 9:34am
post #1 of 4

Disclaimer: I'm European, going to school to become pastry chef, love American cakes, but am still looking for help regarding the vocabulary

OK: what does a "torted cake" mean? I see it everywhere, but can't really figure out what is meant by it.

Thanks a lot!

3 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 9:45am
post #2 of 4

Hi and Welcome to CC, SandraVB79. icon_smile.gif

Decoding CC acronyms:

A torted cake is one with more than two layers (even if two large layers are torted/cut into four smaller layers).

Splitting a single cake layer in half horizontally to form two layers.

Cake decorating terms:

A discussion on torting:

Illustrated how to torte help:


LadyMike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyMike Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 9:49am
post #3 of 4

This is the only picture I could find quickly that illustrates torting. It's a little fuzzy but I think you'll get the idea. Hope this helps and welcome to Cake Central!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 2:49am
post #4 of 4

Hi, it just means that the cake is cut into thin layers and then assembled with a filling between the layers. Like when you make a sacher torte or L'Opera.

Quote by @%username% on %date%