What Do You Use Under Your Bottom Wedding Cake Layer?

Decorating By charleezgal Updated 19 Jan 2009 , 9:38pm by JodieF

charleezgal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charleezgal Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 8:01pm
post #1 of 8

I am doing my first wedding cake. It's a 14" 12" and a 10". I don't have any of the fancy cake stands or plates yet, so what do you place the bottom layer on? It seems "not enough" to just use the "14 round corrugated circles. I do have a Wilton 16" round separator plate that is scalloped. Would that be appropriate?

I've seen many cakes on CC that looks like they are using the same type of round board. What is it? And how do you cover it? It would be nice to have something to lift the cake a little higher since it's only a 3 tier stacked. (Their request)

Thanks to everyone who can help me on this. I only have 1 1/2 weeks left until delivery time.


7 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 8:07pm
post #2 of 8

For a cake that size, I would use an 18" base (16" min, 20" max) of just 3-4 cardboards glued together and either covered with cake foil or topped with fondant and edged with ribbon. Also glue another 3 boards of a smaller size to the underside to make it easier to lift.

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 8:20pm
post #3 of 8

I have been looking at what everyone uses under the cake and I'm really thinking this would be a GREAT business to start!
What about a hat box turned upside down without the lid? I'm doing a 3 tiered wedding cake in June, the two bottom layers are dummies so it won't be heavy and I'm searching for the perfect hat box for the base.
I've also seen round wooden cirlces at places like Home Depot and Lowe's.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 8:22pm
post #4 of 8

MDF or plywood. you need something really strudy to support all that weight.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 8:23pm
post #5 of 8

You could also cut a circle of plywood and cover as mentioned above. You could also add "feet" under it to make it easier to pick up. Some decorators use mirrors for the base tier and others use formica (counter top material). I use foamcore board as it is more stable then cake circles. It can be purchased at Michaels, Hobby Lobby, art or office supply stores and cut to size.

Mizuki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mizuki Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 8:24pm
post #6 of 8

MDF is cheap and places like Lowes and Home Depot will cut it for you. thumbs_up.gif

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 8:28pm
post #7 of 8

I use logicpic boards from their website at logicpic.com

LOVE their support stuff and boards, all shapes and sizes, and special baseboards with FEET.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 9:38pm
post #8 of 8

I have pieces of countertop cut to various sizes, then I cover them with fabric and then clear contact paper.


Quote by @%username% on %date%