How Am I Supposed To Make This Work?? A Chocolate Castle!!

Decorating By gwright0906 Updated 20 Jan 2009 , 4:59am by tonicake

gwright0906 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gwright0906 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 12:46am
post #1 of 18

Hello Everyone icon_biggrin.gif

I am fairly new to decorating and I am hoping somebody/anybody can help me figure this out...

My sister asked me to do a castle cake for a Princess themed baby shower for a lady at her church which is taking place next Saturday. Since I have a really busy week scheduled...I wanted to get a jump start on anything I could do ahead of time. All I knew was it was pastel color decor...so while I waited to hear what kind of cake she wanted, I started some fondant work on the Wilton castle kit. I have pretty much just covered the cones in pink fondant, made some fondant flowers, and made a fondant princess (which I can use the flowers and princess anyway). My problem is I just now found out what kind of cake the "mom to be" loves...chocolate on chocolate!!

How in the world can I make a brown/chocolate castle with pink cones look good??!! icon_cry.gif

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you in advance!

17 replies
KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 12:51am
post #2 of 18

Can you use choco cake with choco icing and cover it in fondant? Then you don't have to worry about the brown color.

Kim040508 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim040508 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 1:09am
post #3 of 18

Brown and pink are popular colors right now. Cover the castle in chocolate fondant and put on the pink cones and maybe make some small pink bricks to put here and there on the outside.

PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 1:14am
post #4 of 18

Since you have already covered the cones with pink fondant, you could paint over them with brown. It would be really easy if you have brown petal dust and thin it with lemon extract or vodka. Another quick way you could color them would be to dip them in melted chocolate.

Hope this helps...

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 1:26am
post #5 of 18

How about chocolate fondant on the castle, leave the pink cones and put greenery and pink flowers at the base. Maybe put pink little pink and polka dots or stripes on the towers? Or even vines climbing the towers with little pink flowers on them.

Pink and brown are definitely in. You might want to throw some white and yellow flowers in for balance.

Post the pic when you decide and finish it. I bet it will be beautiful whatever you decide to do! icon_biggrin.gif

gwright0906 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 1:30am
post #6 of 18

Thank you for the quick responses...but...

I really wanted to keep from doing anything brown because the decor is all pastel...plus I didn't really charge enough for all that fondant work. I would even have to cover the turrets with fondant to make it work. I could do buttercream but my main concern is the color...especially a brown castle...makes me think of medieval times too much and not a baby shower.

I'm stumped...sigh!

gwright0906 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 1:38am
post #7 of 18

Ok...I'm back...I think I'm going to see if she's okay with a chocolate cake with chocolate filling...but still do "white" buttercream icing.

I wish there was a way to have chocolate icing and still be white lol icon_lol.gif

Wish me luck thumbs_up.gif

Thanks again to everyone!

PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 1:46am
post #8 of 18

Ok...so the mother wants chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream frosting. Does she have issues with you usuing vanilla fondant?? If not then you could cover the cake with white fondant and use the pastel decorations you have already made and she still gets her favorite flavor.

gwright0906 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 1:52am
post #9 of 18

That is definitely another avenue I can explore.

Thank you!!

282513 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
282513 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 1:58am
post #10 of 18

What about setting the castle on a base cake that is chocolate/chocolate and then making a smaller castle on top that is white and pastel? At least she would get the chocolate and the castle would still look pretty.

gwright0906 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 2:10am
post #11 of 18

And another good idea...I need to talk to my sister and give her a couple of these options.

I LOVE THIS SITE!

tonicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonicake Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 2:30am
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Quote:

I wish there was a way to have chocolate icing and still be white

There is actually a way to have a white b/c that is chocolate and it's not "white" chocolate. I have a liquid flavor of chocolate that I use in white b/c, it's called Magic Line. It's professional strength, so it doesn't require much. I have many of their flavors and like them very much.

I had an order for an OU cake (red & white), the man loved cherry chip cake with cherry icing. I used the cherry flavor and the icing was white. His wife was so grateful when it wasn't PINK! She told him he had to be strong in his man hood to ask for a pink cake. Problem solved.

Good luck, maybe someone else can give more options.

Toni

eneq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eneq Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 2:33am
post #13 of 18

how about a white chocolate buttercream? would that qualify as a chocolate frosting, or is she set on the brown color? there is a recipe on recipezaar that's pretty yummy.
http://www.recipezaar.com/White-Chocolate-Buttercream-Frosting-130623

gwright0906 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 3:04am
post #14 of 18

Eneq...I actually thought about white chocolate buttercream but I have never tasted it. I'm afraid it will taste too different from the milky chocolate.

Gritswife...where can I buy liquid flavor for chocolate?? I've never seen that brand in our local stores.

tonicake Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 3:56am
post #15 of 18

I buy my flavors at my local cake supply. I'm not sure about where to find
it online. Let me do some research. I'll get back to you ASAP!

tonicake Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 4:04am
post #16 of 18

OK. I'm back. It comes from a company in Gardena, CA, Parrish's Cake Decorating Supplies, Inc. I found them on yahoo search and saw they carry Magic Line products.

I hope they let this go through, if not I'll PM you.

Toni

gwright0906 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 4:22am
post #17 of 18

Thank you so much gritswife icon_biggrin.gif Just in case I don't have time to order this...I'm trying to talk them into a chocolate cake with white buttercream icing. At this point...that would make my live so much easier lol. This "hobby" of mine can be soooo stressful at times lol...it's worth it though...I LOVE THIS STUFF icon_biggrin.gif

I appreciate your help!!

tonicake Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 4:59am
post #18 of 18

I hope you are able to encourage them to do what you need.

What ever it ends up, I'm sure it will be great.

Lots of Luck!!!

Toni

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%