An Idea For Finally Getting Legal - So Good Or No Good?

Business By tuffstuff Updated 18 Jan 2009 , 9:18pm by KoryAK

tuffstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tuffstuff Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 12:54pm
post #1 of 15

So I'm located in Texas - no selling from your home. But I really want to get legal. The good thing is that my husband and I are not tied down to a home (yet!) or even an area. Here's what I am hoping I can do: We buy some land. We build a small home on the land. Next to our home, we put a small manufactured home that we outfit to become a cake studio. (I'm assuming all the inside would have to be to code with commecial equipment). I saw a really cute, tiny one for sale at a manufactured home lot and this is how I got the idea.
I know zoning laws may be an issue. (Having a business in a residential area). Other than that, I am wondering what you guys think. Is the manufactured home thing a problem? Does it have to be a more permanent structure?
Of course, I will be researching this, but I thought I'd get some preliminary thoughts. Do you guys think this is a possibility worth researching?

14 replies
Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 1:46pm
post #2 of 15

Depending on your zoning laws, it sounds like it could be a possibility. They're cheaper than building new construction. It's not attached. It could be decorated really cute to look like an enticing place to visit.

We'd say: Go for it! Research can't hurt. It's such a learning experience.

Paul & Peter

Launa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Launa Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 1:57pm
post #3 of 15

Yep - Definately check the zoning laws....also if you're outside of the city limits, you may have sewer and well issues, too. But the laws are different county by county, so call your local health department and check with them. We'd have to have a bigger well and septic system where I live if I wanted to open a shop. Our county requires that well and septic be "commercial" size, not "residential" size, even if I'm the only occupant of the building....bummer!!

something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 2:06pm
post #4 of 15

Every state is different, so it is hard to say. In some states, if your business is in a building other than your home but on the same property, the property would have to be zoned as commercial. I would do some reasearch before you make any commitments. I live in Pennsylvania, and I contact the Department of Ag to have my questions answered. Good luck with everything!

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 3:04pm
post #5 of 15

The county health department would be the ones to go to first.

I used to rent a kitchen from two sisters who converted the guest house on their property to a commercial kitchen, so something *LIKE* what you are describing is definitely possible. Also..the Taco Trucks are legal, and those are even less "permanent" than a mobile home. icon_rolleyes.gif
So...before you buy, check with that county's health department icon_smile.gif

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 6:15pm
post #6 of 15

also, check local zoning for the use of a mobile home, here some towns wont even allow a mobile home to be placed except as temp housing for building.

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 8:39pm
post #7 of 15

It would work because the TFER rules say a "separate facility" so as long as it met the rules and you're zoning would be fine.

I know of a cake business..(don't know them personally, just heard about them through the grapevine) but the shop is in one of those portable buildings that you describe. I can look for the link and then send it to you if you would like...then maybe you could contact them.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 9:03pm
post #8 of 15

Depending on the city/county/neighborhood deed restrictions it is very possible! I live in a rural area so no neighborhood deed restrictions would apply. I don't live in a municipality and the particular county I am in, in Texas goes through the state for licensing. Not sure what part of Texas you are in, but this is very doable!

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 9:10pm
post #9 of 15

sounds great to me!

last night on diners drive ins and dives...the made a diner outta an old school bus!

you can get by with more if you buy outside the city limits.

tuffstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tuffstuff Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 4:05am
post #10 of 15

CakeForte, sure I would love that link! Thanks! And thanks for your input, guys.

Cakenicing4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakenicing4u Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 4:52am
post #11 of 15

We were thinking of using one of those 'Pole buildings' that are big and cheap.. and having it set up with Garage doors on it.. but then installing large dispaly windows where those would have been-- that way, when we wanted to sell or move, it would be a xCar garage with a few extra electric and water lines, not a former bakery.... Gotta think long term if you decide to do that-- but hey, GO for it!

tuffstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tuffstuff Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 12:49pm
post #12 of 15

Well, if I do the manufactured home and don't make too many changes to it, I could probably either sell it, keep it as a guest house on our property, or even rent it out.
But at this point I don't plan to ever expand into a full blown shop. I think I want to keep it small scale.

mpaigew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpaigew Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 1:11pm
post #13 of 15

Def check zoning; where I live the only place you can put a manufactured home (other than a modular) is in a mobile home park. There are actually several counties here that are that way.

Cakenicing4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakenicing4u Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 6:16pm
post #14 of 15

But they do make some big sheds wink wink that could go out in the yard! THere's a lady near here that works out of a shed on her front yard... It's Cozy I'm sure.. but still, it's a shed, not a second house... just ask the zoning people, it can't hurt!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 9:18pm
post #15 of 15

I think zoning is going to be your biggest hurdle - if you can swing it there you are good to go. I always had thought about living in a duplex and making the bakery be the other side.

Quote by @%username% on %date%