What Kind Of Candy Thermometer Do You Use?

Sugar Work By MsTonyasCakes Updated 8 Mar 2009 , 5:15am by Redlotusninjagrl

MsTonyasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsTonyasCakes Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 7:50pm
post #1 of 4

I have (had) a Pampered Chef digital timer/thermometer that I absolutely loved!! Until it stopped reading temp correctly. Timer still works great, but when I turn the blasted thing on, it started at 152' and never went down. Within 2 min, my fudge was at soft ball stage (234?) icon_confused.gif Ssssooooo......needless to say, I'm in the market for a new candy thermometer and I'm hesitant to buy another digital. I don't mind spending a few extra dollars for something that's going to last. I have my grandmother's old Taylor, but I'm worried about the accuracy. The thing's probably 70 years old (NOT exaggerating!). So, what kind of candy thermometer do you use, and what are the pros and cons? There's just too many to choose from out there!
Thanks SO much for you help!!!

3 replies
swish2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swish2 Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 10:21pm
post #2 of 4

I use a digital and so far I have liked using it. Below is a site with some digital thermometers
you may want to check out.
http://www.chefsresource.com/original-cooking-thermometer-timer.html

PJ219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PJ219 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 2:31pm
post #3 of 4

You can test the correctness of your Grandmothers Taylor thermometer by placing it in boiling water and should register 212 F or an ice bath and temp should be 32. I use my mothers taylors thermometer and it works like a charm. It is at least 50 years old. It was outlasted many many new ones. And I use it alot. If you are looking for a new one I would definately go with a Taylor brand, be it digital or not.

Redlotusninjagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 5:15am
post #4 of 4

Do you really get good results with the digital thermometers? I read that you should use mercury ones and that they should go up in 2 degree increments. I have one that goes up in 5 degree increments that I am not happy with. I was hoping there would be more traffic on this thread. Any ideas for a mercury thrmometer that goes up in 2 degree increments? Or tell me how great your digital one is. I guess I will try anything. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%