Using Kool Aid To Color Mmf In Deep Red

Decorating By maimai16 Updated 2 Feb 2009 , 7:56am by CatherineR

maimai16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maimai16 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:56am
post #1 of 16

hi everyone... i have a cake order due 2 weeks from now... and they requested to color the cake in red MMF. and i just saw about using kool aid in buttercream on the other thread. i'm just wondering if this would also work with mmf? has anyone tried this before? i'm dying to hear your experience with it, pretty please =)

15 replies
dogwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogwood Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 5:44pm
post #2 of 16

This sounds interesting! I'll give you a bump.

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 5:57pm
post #3 of 16

Why not give it a try in a small amount and see how it goes? I have my doubts about it, but who knows. Maybe it would at least get you started in the right direction so you don't have to add a lot of color.

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:02pm
post #4 of 16

look under jello-fondant in the recipe section. I have never made it, but I do remember seeing it. I think you still needed to use some color, just not as much.

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:06pm
post #5 of 16
mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:18pm
post #6 of 16

It would probably work if you put it in with the powered sugar. You can also get red with regular color. You just need to put it in the Marshmallows after they have melted. Then you let the MMF sit for a few days and it gets darker as the time goes on.
Jen...

Briniga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briniga Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:29pm
post #7 of 16

When putting in the koolaid into the buttercream or fondant, do you just pour in the powder mixture, or do you make the koolaid with water, then pour it in there?

Somethin-Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Somethin-Sweet Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:40pm
post #8 of 16

The Spiderman cake in my photos was done this way. I added the kool-aid to the melted MM- before I added the PS. And it made it taste like Strawberry taffy!

Briniga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briniga Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:45pm
post #9 of 16

What does MM & PS stand for? And did u just add powder koolaid to it?

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:52pm
post #10 of 16

MM= marshmallows PS= powdered sugar

Somethin-Sweet Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 7:07pm
post #11 of 16

Yep.........that's all I did..........very easy!

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 10:17pm
post #12 of 16

no water ...

Somethin-Sweet Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 3:42am
post #13 of 16

nope- no water............I added it to the MMF after the MM were melted and before the PS- so the warm liquid dissolved the kool-aid. Water would probably make it too runny..........

maimai16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maimai16 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 10:31pm
post #14 of 16

this is good news... =) i'm going to try this for a spidey cake... at least it would add new flavor to the cake... powder koolaid to melted MM, i'll remember that =)

thanks everyone =)

btw, redhotmomof3 your cakes are fabulous... =)

CatherineR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CatherineR Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 7:54am
post #15 of 16

I have used the walmart brand of fruit punch sugar free drink mix. I discovered it a long time before I started to decorate cakes. I always noticed when I would make this drink for myself that it would easily stain my fingers. My daughter, a fellow cake decorator also, had warned me of how difficult it was to dye fondant red so my light bulb turned on and I tried it. I mixed into the MMF after it was done but I would now try mixing it with the water to dissolve it. It worked great and I have used other flavors like grape to darken the MMF first before I add black coloring. The punch flavor does make it taste like Starburst but I guess this works great on a fruit flavored type of cake. HTH

CatherineR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CatherineR Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 7:56am
post #16 of 16

forgot to add that you should use gloves when kneading because it will stain your hands.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%