Troubles With Cake Sticking??

Decorating By cakesforfun Updated 19 Aug 2005 , 3:59pm by ntertayneme

cakesforfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesforfun Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 9:53pm
post #1 of 9

I'm new to cake decorating and having problems with my cakes sticking. I've tried the greasing and covering with flour method, and the cake release.

Do any of you use parchment paper? Do you cut it smaller than the bottom of your pan? Do you grease anything? I'm hoping this works!! Thanks in advance for your help!!

8 replies
mary-ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mary-ann Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 9:58pm
post #2 of 9

I spray the whole pan with Pam, cut parchment to fit just inside the bottom only, then spray the parchment. I don't have any problems with sticking.

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 10:07pm
post #3 of 9

The cake release works the best if you shake it up good, apply with a pastry brush, and do not put it on too thick. I had trouble when I first started using it....but now my cakes come right out without any problems.
traci icon_smile.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 10:46pm
post #4 of 9

if you have tried all of those things, My first question is how long do you let your cakes cool? I set my timer for 10 minutes as soon as it come out of the oven. After 10 minutes flip it over and the cake comes right out.

I personally make my cake release (equal parts of Flour, Oil, and Crisco). I brush it on my pan, then lay in a piece of parchment paper and put some more cake release on that too. (I prefer parchment paper for ease of moving cakes around after cooled, and also i don't have to worry aobut the bottom sticking this way.)

I hope these suggestions help. It can be very frustrating having cakes stick.

Leily

jdogga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdogga Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 2:05pm
post #5 of 9

I use Wilton Cake Release and it works like a charm everytime!

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 2:10pm
post #6 of 9

I make my own pan coat: 1 cup shortening, 1 cup cooking oil, 1 cup of flour .. use liberally!! I mean do not spare the pan coat .. coat your pans really well and I've never had a problem with them sticking .. the only time I've ever had a problem was when I didn't use enough of the pancoat.. good luck!!

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 3:47pm
post #7 of 9

ntertaynme - I used your pan coat "recipe" last night....all I have to say is: BRILLIANT!!! icon_biggrin.gif Although, I did cut it down and used 1/2 cup of everything, only because I probably don't make as many cakes as you do & I wasn't sure if I'd like it or not...lol...but I LOVE IT! Very cost effective too! And, btw, neither my shaped cake nor my 12x18 stuck at all....just wonderful! Thanks for posting that! icon_smile.gif

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 3:56pm
post #8 of 9

Cheryl, do you use a pastery brush to apply your mixture??? I might try yours out!
traci icon_smile.gif

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 3:59pm
post #9 of 9

Yes, I use a pastry brush and coat the pan very well with the mixture ... I got the recipe from here and it's the best thing I've used to coat my pans... I can't think of how many pans I greased/floured before I found out about making my own pan coat.. My sister even uses it now.. I mixed her some of it up and told her to try it out .. she loves it too icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%