Help With Purse Cake ...please!

Decorating By cakebaker1978 Updated 24 Jan 2009 , 1:15am by paulstonia

cakebaker1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1978 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 17

Hey CC,

I am thinking about trying this Juicy Couture cake and I have been staring at it for hours. I was hoping someone could tell me what I would use to get the shape of the purse? I was thinking she probably used a sheet cake....cut and stacked. But, how would I get those indents in the front and the basic bubbly shape? If that makes sense!? Any ideas CC?

http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=474703

16 replies
cakebaker1978 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 10:29pm
post #2 of 17

anyone?anyone? lol

Someone has got to know what lurks under this cake!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 11:00pm
post #3 of 17

That is the cutest cake.

Just stack it up and shape it a little on the sides & in the front. Then when you put the fondant on you bubbly it like that. So in other words, you have this sheet cake all stacked up there all boxy looking. Just take a knife and cut away (a little at a time--it doesn't take much) to round it up like that. Ice it with buttercream--chill it thoroughly and apply the fondant. In fact in the front there--you might want to apply some of the stuff you cut off to make the rounded ribbley shaping there. Glue it on with buttercream.

You need to use support in there if it's over 4 inches tall. Attach a piece of foam under the board and anchor your dowel through that so it won't tip when it's delivered. I attach with hot glue. Note to self--dowel do not penetrate through hot glue once it cools so make sure you glue where you won't be sticking the dowel in. icon_biggrin.gif

Two ways to do the fondant, put a big slab over the top like traditionally or wrap it around and leave a seam up top. Be sure your cake is well chilled. Purses have seams down the back anyway--I mean any way you wann do it is fine. That's some of how I do cakes. I mean sometimes I do it piece by piece like a real purse.

Then the brown around the top can just be sitting up above the cake for more awesome depth.

Cool cool cake.

Some cake thoughts for you.

cakebaker1978 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 12:47am
post #4 of 17

Thank you SO much! You really helped me out! Thanks for taking the time. I hope I can make this cake somewhat like the pic! I think I will either try the piece by piece(cause that is easiest!) or the wrap around! I am very excited to try this take! I am going to put a little Chihuahua out the top of it. That is what my daughter would like! Thanks again, I really appreciate the help! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

-K8memphis Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 1:08am
post #5 of 17

Here's an idea for the piece by piece way to do it.

Make a template--so you can roll out your fondant close to the right size. Let the pieces overlap a bit at the seams and then cut them both at the same time with scissors, remove the excess then smooth the join there.

But there's other ways to do it, just a thought for you.

Also you want to be careful that your fondant adheres well to the sides of the cake--It will want to slide down so use the frige as your friend. If you use crusting buttercream, you'll need to mist the buttercream or brush the fondant with a bit of water.

Sounds adorable with a puppy sticking out!

Anntee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anntee Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 3:09pm
post #6 of 17

K8! What a coinky-dink. Looks like I'm gonna make my next birthday after all. Maybe a purse cake. Thanks for your tips - always so helpful. anntee icon_smile.gif

IcedTea4Me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcedTea4Me2 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 3:25pm
post #7 of 17

Please post a pic afterwards. Your idea sounds adorable. That is a beautiful cake.

Lisa

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 3:33pm
post #8 of 17

Hi k8memphis!! icon_smile.gif I have a question for you if you don't mind, If I put the cake on the fridge and then the fondant is the fondant will be ok? I mean it will not melt or sweat?

Thank you in advance, I hope you can help me icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 3:44pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anntee

K8! What a coinky-dink. Looks like I'm gonna make my next birthday after all. Maybe a purse cake. Thanks for your tips - always so helpful. anntee icon_smile.gif

OMG!!! How incredibly fabulous to see you, Girlfriend!!!

You're gonna make a bunch of birthdays!!!!!!!

Purses and hats and diamonds and lace.
Only the best for you, Cake-Buddy

Much Love Many Prayers

Just wonderful to see you out & about.

!!!!!HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ANN!!!!!

-K8memphis Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 3:50pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankyola

Hi k8memphis!! icon_smile.gif I have a question for you if you don't mind, If I put the cake on the fridge and then the fondant is the fondant will be ok? I mean it will not melt or sweat?

Thank you in advance, I hope you can help me icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Mine do not melt or sweat. I use store bought fondant for the most part. My friges are time tested in that they do not sweat inside or produce so much moisture the cake takes in a bunch or whatever awful thing happens when the atmostphere outside the frige makes fondant pee. I mean it might get a little glow but it doesn't hurt anything.

I chill all my cakes. It's that invisible support system when you deliver.

Michele25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele25 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 3:57pm
post #11 of 17

Thanks for the great info, k8memphis! I'll file it in my "hope to try this someday, if I'm brave enough" file icon_lol.gif

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 4:04pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebaker1978

Hey CC,

I am thinking about trying this Juicy Couture cake and I have been staring at it for hours. I was hoping someone could tell me what I would use to get the shape of the purse? I was thinking she probably used a sheet cake....cut and stacked. But, how would I get those indents in the front and the basic bubbly shape? If that makes sense!? Any ideas CC?

http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=474703

Kaysie, from Nashville Cakes did that one, and she demonstrated it at a DOS in Jackson, TN last Spring..
http://www.dickersoncakes.itgo.com/photo_2.html
She used two loaf pans to form the body of the purse with.. the image was done using a template and marked with pin holes.. check out the pictures.......

Anntee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anntee Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 4:08pm
post #13 of 17

icon_smile.gif Thanks K8 for your kind words.

You've made my day!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

cakebaker1978 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 8:58pm
post #14 of 17

thank you SO much everyone!!! I will take it all in and apply it to the cake! Wish me luck! lol I think I am in for a challenge!! But I do like a challenge!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 9:58pm
post #15 of 17

God Luck cakebaker1978 thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif , I know you will do an amazing job. party.gifking.gificon_lol.gificon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 3:14pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anntee

icon_smile.gif Thanks K8 for your kind words.

You've made my day!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

!!!Yay!!!

Girlfriend, you made my week!!

Take Care, CakeBuddy

L&P

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 1:15am
post #17 of 17

k8memphis, it's been a little while since this was posted so I hope your still out there icon_smile.gif I'm going to be making a purse cake soon. It's a large coach bag, and my biggest worry is that it will tip over. I'm trying to understand what you meant about the foam board. Are you saying you glue a piece of foam core to the cake board, then put the cake on it and drive dowels down through the cake and into the foam board? If so, how thick of foam core do you think I should use? Oh, sorry to high jack the thread.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%