Can You Give Me Your Opinion

Business By cakesbydina Updated 12 Jan 2009 , 7:51pm by JGMB

cakesbydina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbydina Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 2:55pm
post #1 of 20

just published my website. Can you take a peak and tell me what you think http://cakesbydina.com/

19 replies
Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 3:14pm
post #2 of 20

Wow!! I really like it you have everything there, it is not a complicate website, we can easily understand everything about the prices and flavors.

Good job, and congratulations, I wish I can have mine. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 3:28pm
post #3 of 20

The colors on your site are beautiful. On your flavor/pricing page there is a typo the 'P' in price is missing. My suggestion is to have more pictures of cakes, even on your homepage.
Cathy

cookieaddict Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieaddict Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 3:34pm
post #4 of 20

The site is good. On your pricing page, correct the spelling for "Price". It is the fine print. It currently reads "rice".

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 3:37pm
post #5 of 20

Nice website!

Oh...a typo on "ganache" on the flavors page.... (missing the "e")

I would only have a few suggestions... I wouldn't name your cakes after the customers they were made for...I would name them something more generic because eventually you are going to have more cake photos and you are not going to want to name them all after the name on the cake. Many times I make cakes that do not even have names on them. Maybe name them something creative that will easily tell you, when the customer picks it out, what it is.

Also the first line on your first page is "I hope you find everything you need"....it sounds a little hesitant and not self confident. Be sure you are selling yourself with confidence! I would omit the first sentence, and just jump right into the fact that you are committed to top quality customer service.

Good luck in your business!

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 3:47pm
post #6 of 20

"Federal law prohibits me from duplicating licensed characters in the form of a shaped cake. I can incorporate any character into your child's cake with icing or a fondant figure."

I'm no expert, but I saw this on your site & was a little curious. I didn't realize that you can duplicate characters in icing or fondant figures. I thought any duplication of characters at all was prohibited. Are you sure this is correct? I would just hate for you to get in trouble if the wrong person read it. Anybody out there have more insight to the specifications on this?

Other than that, I think the site is great!

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 3:53pm
post #7 of 20

I like most of it. I think some of the info on the about me page belongs on the contact page. Typically, I expect a contact page would be how I can contact you, but it's to get on your mailing list. Though I read your About Me page, I pretty much skip them all the time, so it's not easy to find your hours and location. I think, with having a shop, you should have that right on the opening page.

cookie_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookie_fun Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 3:55pm
post #8 of 20

It looks very nice. You have a nice sampling of your cakes and pricing is pretty straightforward. Good job thumbs_up.gif

jguilbeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jguilbeau Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 4:06pm
post #9 of 20

Web-site looks nice. Suggestions: More pictures, and maybe a border around each picture.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 4:17pm
post #10 of 20

I think it's fine the way it is! With one minor exception: Perhaps use a different font? When I see a regular type-face it doesn't look as professional to me. (But I am just one person).

One more typo - Amaretto is spelled with two "a"'s (you have ameretto)

When you do get more pics, perhaps organize them in folders by occasion.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 4:17pm
post #11 of 20

I haven'y looked all the way through, but on your menu bar the 'contact' button should read just 'contact', and not 'contact me', and should be at the very end:

home - about me - cakes - flavors and pricing - contact

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 4:54pm
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCakeGirl

"Federal law prohibits me from duplicating licensed characters in the form of a shaped cake. I can incorporate any character into your child's cake with icing or a fondant figure."

I'm no expert, but I saw this on your site & was a little curious. I didn't realize that you can duplicate characters in icing or fondant figures. I thought any duplication of characters at all was prohibited. Are you sure this is correct? I would just hate for you to get in trouble if the wrong person read it. Anybody out there have more insight to the specifications on this?

Other than that, I think the site is great!

I agree. My understanding is that law prohibits reproducing characters in an way. What you can do is buy edible images or cake toppers/figurines etc to place on top of a cake.

Otherwise, I think it looks great! More pictures.

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 5:07pm
post #13 of 20

Wow, you are excellent. Congratulations!!!
Love the 'Annette Cake'!

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 5:12pm
post #14 of 20

Kitagrl said all that I saw. I really don't like the first line on the webpage that sounds like just fluff.

Naming cakes is important. I found a lighte fixture I wanted named "Victor"... they had names, cute ones (not that Victor particularly is) and it was $1439. Then I found it elsewhere, listed as made by general 84 (maker) and model blah-blah-blah.... it was $500. Exactly the same!!!

The "tristan" cake should be "Guitar Hero", the "Sheri cake" should be "Shop til you drop", etc. Also the names seem to indicate you only make cake for "friends" by naming them after them. Some PP had said it right- generic names are best.

Good luck!

johnson6ofus Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 5:15pm
post #15 of 20

I forgot to add... I would just remove the reference to copyright altogether. I agree- you cannot duplicate in any way, not shape, not form, not gumpaste. You cannot make "Nemo", but you can make a clown fish... but must be different. Post what you CAN do, and individually discuss what you CANNOT do, if it comes up. I don't really think it has to be part of the web page.

kakelady00009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakelady00009 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 5:18pm
post #16 of 20

Nice job on the site.
I'm not sure if it's me, but on your pricing page where it allows you to look at serving sizes, it reads how big a cake do you need-should it read "how big of a cake do you need?"
Again, maybe it's just me....everything looked very nice!

johnson6ofus Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 5:21pm
post #17 of 20

ok... sorry again, but brain dead.

Orange and Lemon are listed as both regular and specialty flavors. Maybe regular is "lemon" and "orange" and specials are "Tangy Lemon" or "Lemon Zinger" and "orange" is "Frosty Orange" or "Florida Orange" or....?????

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 5:49pm
post #18 of 20

I really like the simple layout.

A few recommendations:

I would make "closed" on your Sunday hours with a capital "C" and the "offer Delivery" is a little confusing. Maybe something like "Out for Deliveries" or something a little more descriptive.

Also, I barely even noticed the "driving directions"link at the bottom of the same page......it is too far down on the page and the font color is too light.

I would capitalize "Pricing" on your navigation bar link "Flavors and pricing"

cakesbydina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbydina Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 7:19pm
post #19 of 20

my, my, my not a very watchful eye have I. Thanks for all your input. I have made several changes you all suggested. That's why I posted it on CC because I knew you all would watch out for me. many thanks for your time on this

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 7:51pm
post #20 of 20

I like the site a lot, and your cakes look yummy! Sorry, but I'm kind of a spelling and grammar geek, so here goes:

Under "fillings", it should say "raspberry"

Under the cake with the big flower, it should read "girl's invitation"

It's "limoncello", not "lemoncello"

Under "fondant", it should read "realism and special effects are"

Then, these 3 things should be capitalized to keep everything uniform:

Classic Vanilla Buttercream
Chocolate Ganache
When do you need to pick up your cake?

Well, you did ask for our input! Hope it helps, and I hope your new business will be a great success!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%