Anyone Seen A Square Topsy-Turvey Wedding Cake?

Decorating By handymama Updated 14 Jan 2009 , 6:49am by KitchenKat

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 4:53am
post #1 of 9

My daughter is getting married in a little over a year and is absolutely certain that she wants a square topsy-turvey cake in green and brown, completely covered in a piped paisley henna design. This sounds just awful to me! Anyone know of a photo of something like this? I have some samples of the design--definitely will need to get those piping skills refined--but the square TT is something I'd like her to actually see to make sure that's what she wants.

8 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 10:22am
post #2 of 9
aimeeb1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aimeeb1224 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 10:37am
post #3 of 9

I have a book called "Cakes to Inspire and Desire" by Lindy Smith.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0715324977/?tag=cakecentral-20
It has some square whimsical cakes, I believe in hot pink, but you can at least look at their version. They also have a Moroccan cake done in paisley. It might be worth a trip to the library to read.

scoutmamma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoutmamma Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 12:07pm
post #4 of 9

good luck, i tried to find something in our gallery that would help, but all i found was a round henna... when i searched, i found 3 cakes with henna designs, and this one i thought might help...

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-1284908.html

good luck and congrats on your DD's engagement!

aimeeb1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aimeeb1224 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 12:47pm
post #5 of 9

It's not square or topsy turvy, but I remembered this cake by a local (NJ) baker. It is brown, white and tiffany blue paisley. I can't link directly to the picture, but it is the first one within this gallery:

http://sweetsisterscakes.com/gallery1.htm

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 2:16pm
post #6 of 9

Thank you for the links; I've forwarded everything to my daughter. My favorite by far is the one from two sisters--which probably means that's the one she'll like the least!

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 11:30pm
post #7 of 9

It's funny you say the green and brown sounds just awful, because whenever I used to do things in green and brown, it made me think of the thin mint girl scout cookies for some reason. I just see the green and think the brown should be chocolate-minty.

morgnscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 6:49am
post #9 of 9

Hmmm...just makes me wonder. I've seen lots of topsy turvey cakes for weddings but NEVER yet for a chinese wedding. Or an Asian wedding for that matter. Has anyone ever done a TT wedding cake for an Asian wedding (where either bride or groom is Asian). I have a feeling they could think that it could be bad feng shui to have a TTC at a wedding. Having to do with stability and all. Like everything must be stable and level for the wedding so that the marriage is stable and strong too. My husband's grandma is Chinese and boy did she have a lot of do's and don'ts for our wedding. Too bad she's no longer here for me to ask her opinion.

Sorry to be off topic on your thread.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%