Help! Gourmet Flavors????

Decorating By tcakes65 Updated 9 Dec 2023 , 8:26pm by MacsMom

pinkflower1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkflower1212 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 8:25pm
post #1981 of 6536

I am only on page 37 of the thread, but was wondering did anyone answer the question about Amoretti : Do you have to be a business to get the catalog / samples? Just wondering - since I haven't come across it yet. If someone does the answer, will you please repost? Thanks

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 9:04pm
post #1982 of 6536

Oh, Fall/Thanksgiving/Winter/Christmas flavors = YUM! And they do make a seasonal gingerbread creamer. When it comes back into season you should be able to use it to flavor a buttercream.

I may try a pistachio cake for this weekend if I have time.

ETA: Alexadrabill, did you just use almond extract for the almond buttercream?

Since I don't have any pistachio compound or flavor & can't get the ice cream any ideas on the cake. ( I just looked at the recipe & realized how much it needed)

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 9:10pm
post #1983 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by JillK

I have three questions, one for MacsMom (when you have time!) and two for whomever cares to answer. icon_biggrin.gif

Two. For those of you who have made the Orange Dreamsicle cake, with what did you frost it? (I'm actually making the Orange Valencia variety -- orange chocolate is kind of a WNY "thing," especially around Easter, and I love it.)

Thanks so much

Hey!! Im in WNY too! never heard of the orange valencia until this thread! lol Neat to know someone on cc is in my area!

Jakap2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jakap2 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 9:28pm
post #1984 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflower1212

I am only on page 37 of the thread, but was wondering did anyone answer the question about Amoretti : Do you have to be a business to get the catalog / samples? Just wondering - since I haven't come across it yet. If someone does the answer, will you please repost? Thanks

No, you don't have to be a business. When I spoke to lady from Amoretti, I told told her I'm out of home baker and that I bake for friends and family. She didn't mind.

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 10:07pm
post #1985 of 6536

steffla: I just looked at the version on the doc, and mine was different. All I did was use the traditional wasc base, added about 1/4 of the compound jar (I did it to taste.. just keep adding! It's a compound so its not bitter like the extracts), 1 tablespoon or so of almond, and pistachio pudding.

Dandelion: I first used a simple syrup glaze (1:1 ratio) that I poured almond extract in. I was pretty liberal as it never tasted almondy enough for me even though I find almond is usually powerful. I used McCormick so that could be the culprit! . I then flavored my buttercream w/ almond and added a few drops of the pistachio compound. It's seriously to die for. It's such a good combination.

So sorry i'm not specific.. I am really just a pour and go type of gal. I'm horrible at following recipes because I like to play w/ ingredients. I bet I bake at least 3-4 cakes a week that are purely for kicks and giggles. I add baking soda, or an extra egg, or a little of this or that.. or try baking them w/ no eggs.. lol. I always intent to report back to y'all but since I don't measure icon_surprised.gif ... it's hard to give concrete answers/results.

I promise the next time I play around i'll write down what I do!! lol

EDITED TO ADD: I also added a bit of amaretto liquor to the simple syrup. It was delicious. Don't feel the need to go n get some.. but I had some around the house so I figured why not! icon_smile.gif It was yummyy.

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 12:57am
post #1986 of 6536

Alexandrabill thanks for the reply!!! I cant wait to try it and I will let you know how it turns out. I made a simple syrup today too and was wondering how to store it and how long it is good for. Anyone know??

pinkflower1212 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 1:28am
post #1987 of 6536

Thanks for the info Jakap2. I filled out the contact info and someone from Amoretti called me within an hour. Talk about quick customer service. They were very cheery and very infomative. They are sending lots of things and the Flavor: Prickly Pear.....anyone know what that is??? According to Yahoo, its the fruit of a cactus....I'm thinking something for Cinco de Mayo Ole!

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 1:46am
post #1988 of 6536

Prickly pear is delicious, but I don't know know that I've ever had something flavored like prickly pear that has convinced me of the its name (margaritas or otherwise). The taste is fresh, sweet, and the closest I can come to drawing a comparison is mentioning the taste of a canteloupe. Not the same thing, no, but similar realms.

On a separate note, I was wondering if anybody has any spectacular tips for Peanut Butter-Chocolate cake. I have the peanut butter filling recipe from the list (or rather, The List icon_smile.gif ), and I love the chocolate WASC, but I'm wondering if anybody has any extra little suggestions.

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 2:52am
post #1989 of 6536

Hey everyone, just a brief note to let you know that if you are having trouble finding the recipe links, Heath made it a sticky in the recipe tips and ideas forum. icon_biggrin.gif Now we'll always know where to find these awesome links. And thanks to everyone who has contributed such great recipes to them as well!! icon_lol.gif http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=625803&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 3:37am
post #1990 of 6536

I got my samples from Amoretti:

COMPOUNDS

1- banana
2- burnt sugar
3- cafe latte
4- cajeta
5- cantaloupe
6- cappuccino-tiramisu / large
7- cappuccino-tiramisu / small
8- caramel
9- coconut cream
10- cookies & cream
11-crema di caramel
12-crema di kaklua "type"
13-frangelico "type"
14-grenadine (pomegranate)
15-hazelnut praline / large
15-hazelnut praline / large
16-honey
17-honeydew melon
18-kona
19-madagascar bourbon vanilla
20-marshmallow
21-mimosa
22-pineapple / large
23-pineapple / small
24-raspberry
25-strawberry
26-strawberry, wild / large
27-strawberry, wild / small
28-watermelon
29-white chocolate

EXTRACTS

30- banana
31- basil oil
32- bubble gum
33- burnt sugar
34- cajeta
35 cantaloupe
36- cappuccino-tiramisu
37- caramel
38- chocolate "creme de cacao"
39- coconut, toasted
40-coconut cream
41-cookie dough
42-cookies & cream
43-cotton candy
44-crema di caramel
45-creme brulee
46-grenadine (pomegranate)
47-hazelnut frangelico "type"
48-honey
49-honeydew melon
50-marshmallow
51-marshmallow, toasted
52-pineapple
53-praline
54-raspberry
55-strawberry
56-watermelon

MISC

57-hazelnut praline paste
58-hazelnut pralinosa paste
59-passionfruit swirl
60-pomegranate swirl
61-wild strawberry swirl
62-limoncello liqueur flambe
63-orange zest oil
64-alomnd paste
65-almond flour
66-marzipan
67-marzipan

I am not a measuring everything kinda gal and math is certainly NOT my strong point.
Has anyone used the compounds or extracts with great results and can share any hints/tips/pointers?
Any help is greatly appreciated. TIA

Jess icon_razz.gif
LL

dandelion56602 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 4:16am
post #1991 of 6536

emiyeric, are you wanting a pb chocolate cake? I made MacsMom's pb cake but used a chocolate mix & it was good. Think I'll add a little dark cocoa to bring out more of a dark chocolate flavor next time.

dandelion56602 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 4:27am
post #1992 of 6536

Do you guys think a coconut flavored buttercream would go well w/ a pistachio (no other flavors) cake? If not, any other suggestions? I think I'm going to add almond extract to the batter (to enhance the nutty flavor) & don't want to overwhelm w/ an almond buttercream. I was thinking of a 7 minute or marshmallow icing would go well, but it's for a Sunday lunch at a friends & I'm afraid it wouldn't last & might melt off during the church service.

bamber127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bamber127 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:19am
post #1993 of 6536

I made the peanut butter cake with the fudge filling and it was awesome!! The fudge (as mentioned) was really thick but was delicious icon_biggrin.gif I really liked how the pb cake baked nice and even .. makes my life easier hehe.

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:23am
post #1994 of 6536

Dandelion56602, I've made a pistachio cake before and iced with leftover coconut icing ... delicious!!! It was IMBC, which made for a wonderful light finish to a heavier cake.

Thanks to both you and bamber127 for your suggestions! Actually, though, my friend has tried the chocolate wasc when I've made it before and wanted it straight up, but with a peanut butter filling ... so no pb in the cake itself (although I'll remember that for next time!). How about making a peanut butter fudge filling? And would you just mix in pb to the buttercream, or do you have a more creative way of icing?

Thanks!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:23am
post #1995 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessDesserts

I got my samples from Amoretti:....

SOOOO jealous!! icon_cool.gif I recieved a total of 15 and thought I was in heaven -- but I've earmarked the catalog for several others I want to try icon_wink.gif .

MacsMom Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:25am
post #1996 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by emiyeric

Dandelion56602, I've made a pistachio cake before and iced with leftover coconut icing ... delicious!!! It was IMBC, which made for a wonderful light finish to a heavier cake.

Thanks to both you and bamber127 for your suggestions! Actually, though, my friend has tried the chocolate wasc when I've made it before and wanted it straight up, but with a peanut butter filling ... so no pb in the cake itself (although I'll remember that for next time!). How about making a peanut butter fudge filling? And would you just mix in pb to the buttercream, or do you have a more creative way of icing?

Thanks!

Mix in smooshed Reeses Peanut Butter Cups into either the PB filling or the milk chocolate truffle filling - nummmmmy! Would she be OK with peanut butter chips in the cake batter?

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:30am
post #1997 of 6536

Macsmom- do not be jealous! I dont even have room for all these little bottles!
Im seriously thinking about putting up additional shelves in the kitchen to house them.
I was going to do it previously to display all my sprinkles/dragees/quinns etc.
I tend to forget what I have because they're stored away. Maybe the more I see it, the more i'll be inspired. Who knows?
I do know my mind is spinning with all the flavors.... so many flavors, so little time icon_razz.gif

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 6:11am
post #1998 of 6536

ooooooooooooooo all those little bottles are so pretty!! I would totally be giving them a place of honor in the kitchen lol

meggers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meggers Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 11:36am
post #1999 of 6536

For the almond joy cake, are you using the chocolate WASC cake then using almond extract instead of the vanilla extract?

pinkflower1212 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 1:59pm
post #2000 of 6536

Holy Cow, JessDesserts you hit the jackpot from Amoretti. Mine are on the way, so maybe I will get a goodie box like that too. Macsmom, call them back and ask for a sample of some of the flavors you want to try. The Customer Service lady i spoke to yesterday told me to call if I wanted to try another flavor. They would rather me be happy with it instead of being stuck with it. Plus if you ask today, they might be able to get it out today for Sat deliver or worse, on Monday. What's they worse they are going to do,,tell you No? and that wouldn't be good business for them, since almost EVERYONE on this thread has called them.

pinkflower1212 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 2:03pm
post #2001 of 6536

My boss just brought into the office for our coffe a new creamer. It's Black Cherry Strudel and its the small bottle. Hmmmm...how could we use this?

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 2:27pm
post #2002 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessDesserts

I got my samples from Amoretti:....

SOOOO jealous!! icon_cool.gif I recieved a total of 15 and thought I was in heaven -- but I've earmarked the catalog for several others I want to try icon_wink.gif .

I think so many of us contacted them at the same time that they cut back on what they were sending. I'm sure the rush has slowed down some so they are feeling more generous. icon_smile.gif

I remember reading one post from someone who ordered and it was pretty expensive. Since there aren't any prices in the literature I received, does anyone have pricing/shipping information? I would really like to order a few items since they were so nice to ship out the samples.

Martha

MacsMom Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 2:51pm
post #2003 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by meggers

For the almond joy cake, are you using the chocolate WASC cake then using almond extract instead of the vanilla extract?

Yep. It's very good!

pinkbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbox Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 3:21pm
post #2004 of 6536

Thank you Macsmom and everyone!! The rainbowlicious was a BIG Hit... in the cake version and the cupcake version.

Wish I knew how to upload the picture of the cuppy... it was tooooooo awesome.

I also did a Margarita cake with Pistachio Mousse filling.. but havent had much sucess with uploading pictures in the forum. Any tips?? They both look mouth watering yummy!!

pinkflower1212 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 3:34pm
post #2005 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindambc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karema

I found it!!! I went to a gourmet store near me and found madagascar vanilla bean paste. I'm so excited. Now I have to figure out how to use it. I know I can add it to frosting and bettercreme but has anyone tried adding it to cake. I want to use this tomorrow anyone have any recipes that taste devine so I can try my new treasure.

Karema

I tried my vanilla ben paste in my graham cracker wac cake this weekend, it tasted really good! dded some to the vanilla whipped topping too!

I love this stuff!!! I use it anywhere i use vanilla. It adds a greater depth of flavor than regular vanilla. It's almost like eating fresh homemade vanilla icecream to me anyway. Can't live without it! icon_biggrin.gif

I get mine from http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop-home-b.html

MacsMom Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 4:03pm
post #2006 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkbox

...but havent had much sucess with uploading pictures in the forum. Any tips?? They both look mouth watering yummy!!

Under the msg body, click "Add attachment". Wait for the "filename" box to appear. Click "browse" to select your pic from your computer - the maximum size is 2 MB, dimensions 800 or less pixels.

Under the file comment box (which doesn't have to be filled out), you have to click "add attachment".

Voila! You can preview your msg to make sure it was attached before hitting submit.

JillK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JillK Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 4:15pm
post #2007 of 6536

I just went to take some creamer out of our department fridge, and discovered someone had brought in "Belgian Chocolate Toffee" creamer. icon_biggrin.gif It smells like Heath bars. Hmmm ...

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 4:26pm
post #2008 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by JillK

I just went to take some creamer out of our department fridge, and discovered someone had brought in "Belgian Chocolate Toffee" creamer. icon_biggrin.gif It smells like Heath bars. Hmmm ...

do it, do it, do it

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:17pm
post #2009 of 6536

Macsmom or whoever has time to reply,
I'm assuming any of the WASC variations can be halved? I want to start making some cupcakes to try out some of the flavors & don't need that much batter. I'm going to make the dreamsicle cake 1st. I suppose I can half the pudding mix by weight?
Oh, I'm going to get sooo fat trying these recipes!!
thx

MacsMom Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:19pm
post #2010 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecrn

Macsmom or whoever has time to reply,
I'm assuming any of the WASC variations can be halved? I want to start making some cupcakes to try out some of the flavors & don't need that much batter. I'm going to make the dreamsicle cake 1st. I suppose I can half the pudding mix by weight?
Oh, I'm going to get sooo fat trying these recipes!!
thx

Yep! They can be halved and doubled. But don't bother with pudding mix in half of the orange cake - it's extremly moist even without it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%