Need Help Coloring Icing Without Food Coloring!

Decorating By tamrick Updated 12 Jan 2009 , 2:31am by Smallfrye

tamrick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamrick Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 8:22pm
post #1 of 11

I have a cake to do for a little girl who is allergic to yellow coloring #5, tartracine I believe it is. How would you make yellow naturally? I was thinking of trying cooking blue berries for blue, and cherries for the pink, but I have no idea what to try for the yellow! Has anyone done this before? I would really like to give her some color to her cake, she wants a doodlebops cake. Any ideas appreciated, cake is for next Saturday!

10 replies
MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 8:28pm
post #2 of 11

Saffron?

Kylyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kylyssa Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 8:32pm
post #3 of 11

Unfortunately, blueberries will make a reddish burgundy color rather than a blue color. Saffron has an intense yellow/gold color. Turmuric also makes yellow though the flavor can be pretty strong. You can also buy natural food colorings at many health food stores. Good luck!

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 8:36pm
post #4 of 11

How yellow do you want it? What about lemon juice and zest? Or mango or pineapple puree?

tamrick Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 9:05pm
post #5 of 11

Ohhh, never thought of pineapple! I was told that lemon juice and zest goes white?? I wonder if anyone knows wilton's ingredient lists? Or how to get them??

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 9:10pm
post #6 of 11

wow, what a challenge, especially since yellow is a primary color. Please let us know what you find that works. I've never had this issue but it will be nice to have the info filed away, just in case.

paddlegirl14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paddlegirl14 Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 9:17pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamrick

I wonder if anyone knows wilton's ingredient lists? Or how to get them??

Just call them.

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 9:45pm
post #8 of 11

There is a company in Southern California called Amoretti that makes a few natural colors. They are VERY expensive, but they are what Whole Foods uses so I've seen that they do work at least in some applications. They have Absolute Natural Yellow in a 2 oz jar. You could call them and see how much it is (I once asked about green and I think it might have been over $100.00--gasp!!!!) http://www.amoretti.com

There is also a company called India Tree that makes a fairly large palette of colored sugars and has a set of natural colors--yellow, blue, and red. The sugars are nice for decorating. You can't bake with them. The colors are gel -like, but you need a ton so you need to balance liquid in your product. It doesn't work for ready-made fondant, for example. I've found India Tree products at stores with cake decorating supplies and at Whole Foods. I also see them at http://www.naturalcandystore.com/product/natural-decorating-food-colors

Dancing Deer used to make a set of natural color gels. I haven't seen them lately, and you needed a ton to get even a pastel, but it inlcluded yellow, so check to see if a natural food store near you still has some.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 10:01pm
post #9 of 11

Thanks guys for some great info I had the same Question.

tamrick Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 11:08pm
post #10 of 11

Thanks Everone! I will let you know how I make out!

Smallfrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smallfrye Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 2:31am
post #11 of 11

Cakedeco.com has some natural colors by chefmaster that run about $11-$12 a bottle. I thought that might help

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%