Canon Photo Printer - Cartridge Disaster - Help

Decorating By KathyTW Updated 11 Jan 2009 , 6:26pm by Suebee

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 5:52pm
post #1 of 7

Of course....I have a cake due today with a photo on it. I fire up the computer and printer and run a nozzle check (which I always do first to check everything). My nozzle check printout shows green where my yellow is supposed to be icon_eek.gif .

Also, it showed 4 of my six cartridges were really low on ink so I take them all out to refill. The yellow cartridge is full of "green" ink - what the heck is going on?

It appears that the two cyan cartridges leaked out (explains why they are empty)....and the yellow sucked up the ink.

Any insight as to what happened and/or how to prevent it from happening again? I already took all cartridges out and placed each of them in their own ziplock bag, and i cleaned the print head/cartridge holder.

I don't keep extra cartridges (probably will now!!) So I contacted the other two big-box stores in town that print images, one has a broken printer (and can't finish their orders) and the other store's cake decorator is on vacation!!! I just can't win icon_sad.gif

Thanks for any help any of you can give!
LL
LL

6 replies
bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 6:11pm
post #2 of 7

I can't help with your printer issues, but have a suggestion if you can't find an alternate way to print. Have seen pics of cakes w/images where the person just used regular ink and paper and then laminated the pic so it wasn't directly touching the cake. As a last resort, at least that will get the image on the cake for you. If you don't have your own (regular ink) printer, you can print at Kinko's and the library.

KathyTW Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 6:14pm
post #3 of 7

thanks for that suggestion....I hadn't even thought of doing it that way (tunnel vision I guess!)

I'll suggest that to my customer and let her make the decision.

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 6:27pm
post #4 of 7

Good luck!

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 2:29pm
post #5 of 7

I can't help, but I feel your printer pain....they can be a royal PAIN.

I've had REALLY good luck ever since I switched to PhotoFrost cartridges.

Jen icon_smile.gif

KathyTW Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 6:11pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks Jen I'll look into those ... I appreciate the advise.

Kathy

Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 6:26pm
post #7 of 7

When you refilled your ink make sure that your rubber pull tab is in. I had a problem when I was refilling and ink leaked everwhere. I get all my stuff from Icing Images, they are they nices bunch of people there is. They helped me so much, that when my family bought me Sugarviel for Christmas they bought if from them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%