Home Based In "no Home Licensed" State? Anyone?

Business By staramystar Updated 12 Jan 2009 , 1:55pm by FromScratch

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 5:35am
post #91 of 94

For those that asked... I'll find it and post it, probably in a new thread so it doesn't get lost in this train wreck.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 1:45pm
post #92 of 94

Let's look at it this way.

Staramystar needed to be talked off the ledge. She was considering jumping off the illegal caker ledge just because the state and the venues in her area not only allow it but recommend them in some cases. It's confusing if you're not used to it. Some can some can't just the fickleness of life. (bake from home)

She was already getting the message that it might not be possible hence her question to us, 'the pros'.

She needed to be talked off the ledge because of all the reasons we already know why it would be bad for her.

Now when someone is discouraged and alarmed that their dream cannot come true as planned, they need to know there's other ways to do it not to mention that they have to wait. Egging them on by waving $600 Coach purses in their direction and associating illegal baking with poisoning people is more or less urging them to fry and burn in cake hades because they not only cannot have thier dream, they cannot have $600 coach purses and they might poison people. (I'm just quoting a couple.)

More or less when someone wants and needs an understanding compassionate and truthful bit of advice let's be there for them. Welcome them in and hold their hair back while they puke thier guts out for having to postpone, cancel and re-arrange their dream in some cases for 20 years in some cases for 30 years and counting. Their dream that someone is living just for a few miles of distance away.

We are free to stop the discrimination if we want to.

tcakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcakes65 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 1:47pm
post #93 of 94

I don't believe people were ripping apart the OP but debating among themselves. This is a place where opinions should be expressed with mutual respect. Unfortunately, with a topic like this sometimes it gets a little heated. However, you can't take it personally and make a judgement about those that have posted. When it comes to a topic like this, people are very passionate about their position. That same passion is what makes them successful in life. This isn't the only thread on CC that has turned into a "trainwreck" as CarolynGwen said, and it probably won't be the last. It's the nature of the beast. Keep in mind that when reading someone's post, you are unable to speak directly to that person, hear their tone, or fully know their intentions. Things can be misinterpreted and misunderstood...not necessarily come out the way the poster wanted or intended. It's a sensitive subject, but you have to take it with a grain of salt. I defend each and every one of the posters because at the end of the day, we're all here for the same reason. Although things have become out of hand, there are some good points made for both sides. If you read their posts on other threads in this forum, all of these people have a lot to offer and provide valuable information. I've learned more on CC, especially the cake business forum, than anywhere else. If you're wanting to pursue your own cake business, I highly recommend returning to the cake business forum.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 1:55pm
post #94 of 94

Jennifer.. it isn't all bad here in the forums.. threads like this one tend to get heated, but if you weed through the unecessary stuff.. you will find heaps of good advice.

As far as I know NY doesn't allow home kitchens.. you can have a separate commercial kitchen in your home if you are zoned for commercial business or rent a kitchen, but you would have to call your DHHS or DOA (not sure which agency handles it in NY.. in NH it's the DHHS). They will be the only ones who could tell you on the state level what is permissible. And it also can vary from county to county within a state. It's a real cluster. The laws are in place to protect the general public though. Some states are much more strict than others.

Please don't walk away with a sour taste in your mouth. There are plenty of us here who want to help.. and even the people in this thread who have gotten heated want what is best for the OP. People post the doom and gloom because, unfortunately, it can be a reality, and no one wants to see a fellow caker get taken to the bank because they were unaware of the laws. No one likes to hear that their cake business that they love is illegal in their state.. and no one likes to be the bearer of bad news, but it would be irresponsible to not inform. In my eyes anyway.

Take it all with a heafty grain of salt.. research what it would take to get a license in your state and decide if it is right for you.

This thread is out of control at this point.. there is entirely too much personal hurt feelings for anything productive to be propogated. There is no need to jump on people.. you lose your focus and credibility the second you start to take it all personally. I am a legal home baker and you know what? I count myself lucky and fortunate to have the luxury (yes the luxury) of being able to use my home kitchen for my business. I could never have afforded to build another kitchen or rent a shop. So yes.. I do find it a luxury that 3 wedding cakes can pay for my yearly business expenses where for most of the business owners here it wouldn't cover the electric bill nevermind the insurance and rent. I would never in a million years offer advice to someone who was just beginning to go ahead and break the laws in their state. But getting my feathers ruffled over sematics? Come on now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%