Cake Mix Response

Decorating By abayes Updated 6 Jan 2009 , 3:23am by Hookste

abayes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abayes Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 11:23pm
post #1 of 12

I think that someone has probly asked this question before, but would like to know how to handle it when a coustmer ask you if you use a mix they heard that I went to using all mixes now, I told them that it was the same recipe that I always use. I have always used cake mixes and have not had any complaints but when they see you at the store buying they freak out like I have done something wrong. I do doctor my mixes they are not at all like the box recpie at all . I would like to know how to respond to the question with being defensive . Thank you for any suggestions

11 replies
jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 12

someone on here once said "I use only the finest prepackaged ingredients" I thought that was pretty good.

Whether you use mixes or from scratch, the important point to get across is that you make cakes that customers like.

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 11:29pm
post #3 of 12

someone on here once said "I use only the finest prepackaged ingredients" I thought that was pretty good.

Whether you use mixes or from scratch, the important point to get across is that you make cakes that customers like.

beth2027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beth2027 Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 11:36pm
post #4 of 12

I would just tell them exactly what you said: I use the same recipe I always have. It's the truth. If they ask further, then be honest with them that it starts as a mix, but you prepare it in your own way to give it a unique flavor and texture. icon_smile.gif

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 11:44pm
post #5 of 12

I tell them that it's my own recipe but that I do use cake mix as only a fraction of the ingredients (okay, so the fraction is half!), explaining that I find it gives me more consistent results and creates a more moist crumb. I let them know that I just haven't haven't found a recipe that has turned out with better results and I'd be happy to offer a taste-test if she/he is afraid of a cake mix taste.

abayes Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 12:27am
post #6 of 12

I want to thank you all for the info, I was all hurt because of what they said and di not know if I gave the right response or not

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 2:29am
post #7 of 12

If they ask if I bake from scratch, I tell them, "You couldn't afford me if I baked from scratch." I then tell them that I start with a mix and add my own stuff. I also then tell them, in that "psst! let me tell you a secret!" gramma voice how a mix is just premeasured dry ingredients anyway. icon_wink.gif

I never want to leave them with any false impressions of what I do.

you handled it very well. thumbs_up.gif

abayes Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 2:48am
post #8 of 12

Thanks Indydebi
I really thank you for the in put , I know that coustomers get freekie some times

tcakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcakes65 Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 2:57am
post #9 of 12

I agree that you handled it well. If you purchase from Sam's, Walmart, etc., do you have someone that could do the purchasing for you? Maybe a teenage son or daughter, perhaps a friend. That way you don't have to worry about running into clients and having to explain yourself.

On the other hand, I still don't understand why we have to share our recipes with the public. As long as it's quality ingredients that makes a delicious cake, that's all that should matter. I don't think we should have to explain to customers how we make our cakes. You don't walk into a restaurant and have a conversation with the chef about what type of ingredients he or she uses. And more times than not, the restaurants are using prepackaged food. icon_lol.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 3:07am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrocakes

And more times than not, the restaurants are using prepackaged food. icon_lol.gif

Amen, sista! Because I see them, wearing their well-embroidered chef jacket, standing with me at the will-call window to buy the same stuff I use!

Also (and I've shared this story before), I find it amazing when people come to me with questions on whether I bake from scratch or do I use instant potatoes ... and then I see them leave my place and pull into a fast food place. They are perfectly happy eating THEIR food that is not even cooked on site (according to the guy who taught my food safety class and a NUMBER of employees I know who work at these places!). One major hamburger place has their burgers cooked at a central kitchen and then they are shipped in to each store. basically you're paying for a warmed-up microwaved burger.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 3:10am
post #11 of 12

I don't know many bakeries that are strictly scratch, anyway! I ordered my wedding cake after tasting about 5 bakeries and as I left we drove around the back ally to make the turn we needed to make and I spotted cake mix boxes! But I didn't care, it was the best in town!

Now I realize that they likely doctored them just like most of us do.

Hookste Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hookste Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 3:23am
post #12 of 12

I would just say that you doctor the mixes. It's up to them to figure it out. If they are offended, they can give it a try and make their own cakes. I have learned that many people that buy cakes aren't very good at baking and have trouble making a basic cake. I have a feeling that they can spread the word about your cakes but if someone likes your cakes, they will be back. I used to scared that I would be "caught" but now I don't worry anymore. I hope that helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%