Why Am I Getting A Rash On My Hands?

Decorating By jr33176 Updated 7 Jan 2009 , 11:44pm by korkyo

jr33176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jr33176 Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 10:42pm
post #1 of 17

After each time I decorate a cake, the back of my hands break out in a terrible and painful rash! Is it possible to be allergic to fondant or ???what??? At first I thought it was from washing my hands so frequently, but one day I tested that out and washed my hands a lot and no rash. Only after cake decorating. Over the next week, the rash slowly goes away...

Just curious if anyone else has this happen...

16 replies
grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 10:54pm
post #2 of 17

Are you using rubber gloves ? Some people are alergic to latex...

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 10:54pm
post #3 of 17

Yes, it does sound like you could have an allergy to something you are using. Not neccessarily the fondant, but something you are coming in contact with during the process of your decorating. You could try to test different things, or you can go to your doctor for a scratch test... that would be a faster and more accurate result! Sorry about that... I know how much that stinks!

cookieman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieman Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 10:55pm
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by grama_j

Are you using rubber gloves ? Some people are alergic to latex...

Exactly what I tried to post grama (but the site rejected me!).

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 10:56pm
post #5 of 17

I wouldn't think it would be the fondant per say. Possibly the food color or some ingredient you are putting into the icing. I would do test spots first with the fondant itself and, if you react to it, then each individual ingredient you put in your cake/icing to see if you get a reaction. Rub it on the inside of your upper arm and see if you react in a 24-hour period. I do have a problem with antiseptic soap causing problems, but since you have pretty much tested the washing, that probably isn't the issue.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 11:00pm
post #6 of 17

" Exactly what I tried to post grama (but the site rejected me!)."

Well, isn't THAT odd ! icon_surprised.gif

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 11:13pm
post #7 of 17

Are you using bags for your icing? Maybe that's causing an allergic reaction.

kellymarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellymarie Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 11:23pm
post #8 of 17

That happened to me the other week, it almost looked like eczema! I chalked it up to too much washing, and the cold weather here, but maybe it was something else? Maybe rule out the common denominators; things you always use, but what was different when it started?

cookieman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieman Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 1:00am
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by grama_j

" Exactly what I tried to post grama (but the site rejected me!)."

Well, isn't THAT odd ! icon_surprised.gif

I think it was just a glitch in the system...nothing personal against me!

But...great minds think alike. icon_wink.gif

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 1:19am
post #10 of 17

I do have that happen once in awhile. I thought that it was a combination of lots of washing and the shortening...???

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 1:40am
post #11 of 17

I've had that happen after days of extra-frequent hand-washing.

Some people develop allergies to flour after years of baking. Are you using any new types/brands of flavorings or food colorings? Those would be the most likely culprits. Change brands of anything?

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 2:03am
post #12 of 17

I get a lot of skin discomfort & itching from the shortening, especially when using fondant. Maybe that is the problem for you. You could try the gloves.

Wing-Ding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wing-Ding Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 8:57pm
post #13 of 17

Definitely an allergy, but I cannot tell you to what. I cannot use marzipan because I'm highly allergic to nuts. I won't even take the chance with gloves. I agree with the others. Go through everything you use when decorating, including the soap you use to wash your hands. Sometimes people aren't allergic to one thing, but a combination. The food coloring you use might have an alcohol in it that reacts with the alcohol used in certain soaps and can cause a skin irritation. Again, that depends on a lot of things.

You're best bet: Go to the doc's and get a scratch test AND a blood test done. The blood test can detect what the scratch test doesn't test for.

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 9:09pm
post #14 of 17

I know a cake decorator that had to give it up because she was allergid to CORNSTARCH and it is in all confectionary sugar. She started decorating and had a rash on her hands then it would go away. Maybe this is what it is.....

psurrette Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 9:10pm
post #15 of 17

I know a cake decorator that had to give it up because she was allergid to CORNSTARCH and it is in all confectionary sugar. She started decorating and had a rash on her hands then it would go away. Maybe this is what it is.....

psurrette Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 9:11pm
post #16 of 17

I know a cake decorator that had to give it up because she was allergic to CORNSTARCH and it is in all confectionary sugar. She started decorating and had a rash on her hands then it would go away. Maybe this is what it is.....

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 11:44pm
post #17 of 17

I have issues with the shorting. Causes a rash. When I was in the retail bakery we had the giant bowls of icing to scoop out. I always had it up to my elbow and always itched when I was done. (that was before the health dept took much interest in the store) icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%