Good Non-Refrigerated Cake Fillings

Decorating By dabear Updated 12 Aug 2013 , 10:19pm by Hamaranpuu

dabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dabear Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 7:44pm
post #1 of 18

Does any body know of any good recipes for non-refrigerated fillingsOr even just an idea and IO can chase a recipe down if need be! I feel stumped. Everything seems to need refrigeration. icon_cry.gif I am making a wedding cake for a friend (probably WASC). I do not have enough refrigerator space to accomodate a cake.
Thankx!

17 replies
Jeannie21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannie21 Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 7:53pm
post #2 of 18

I cant think of a recipe off hand, but when i can't refrigerate a cake I go to walmart and in the cake mix section they have those "no refrigeration needed puddings" and there are many flavors! Hope this helps if you don't find anything else... icon_smile.gif Good Luck!

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 7:54pm
post #3 of 18

strawberry is my most requested. just cook down some strawberries and sugar and thicken with cornstarch.

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 7:55pm
post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannie21

I cant think of a recipe off hand, but when i can't refrigerate a cake I go to walmart and in the cake mix section they have those "no refrigeration needed puddings" and there are many flavors! Hope this helps if you don't find anything else... icon_smile.gif Good Luck!

Which ones are those? I'm familiar with the puddings in the peel off lids, but all the ones I've seen need to be refrigerated once opened?

kdehtan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdehtan Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 7:58pm
post #5 of 18

Buttercream is what I use most often for fillings and you can add many different flavorings, etc. to change it up. Have you tried a cookie in the middle? Hope that helps some.

Jeannie21 Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 8:00pm
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytarheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannie21

Which ones are those? I'm familiar with the puddings in the peel off lids, but all the ones I've seen need to be refrigerated once opened?

They are "Hunt's Snack Pack puddings" The box says no refrigeration needed and no preservatives...I looked all over the box and it doesn't say anywhere that it needs refrigeration once opened... I hope it doesnt! lol But it always tastes fine in the cake. I always make the cake one or 2 days in advance at the most though...

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 8:03pm
post #7 of 18

actually, now that I think of it, what kind of fillings do you think need refridgeration? So long as it doesn't have dairy it should be fine.

calivettie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calivettie Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 8:10pm
post #8 of 18

I always use buttercream with a mix in as stated above. Any extract, natural fruit, even chunks of cookies or a chocolate ganache are great!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 8:13pm
post #9 of 18

The quickest way to a great nonrefrigerated filling is use some buttercream that you used on the cake and that "goo in a sleeve" stuff (as I call it) and mix them together. Then you can call it "lemon creme filling" or "strawberry creme filling" or whatever flavor you are using.

The heavy cream fillings are the ones that mainly require refrigeration.

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 8:14pm
post #10 of 18

I hate to bring this to the forefront but those Hunts snack pack puddings absolutely need to be refrigerated once opened. I wrote to the manufacturer and asked about this and specifically told them that I was using it as a filling in a cake. They responded and said that if left out in any form, it would go bad and highly recommended I not do it.

ziggytarheel Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 8:16pm
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by butternut

I hate to bring this to the forefront but those Hunts snack pack puddings absolutely need to be refrigerated once opened. I wrote to the manufacturer and asked about this and specifically told them that I was using it as a filling in a cake. They responded and said that if left out in any form, it would go bad and highly recommended I not do it.

Yeah, I had heard that before, but I understand how it can be confusing. On their own website, they refer to it as "shelf stable". However, in this case I believe it only means when unopened...like many products at the supermarket. Yes?

Jeannie21 Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 8:21pm
post #12 of 18

Well darn icon_redface.gif thats embarrassing lol! Well maybe it was fine in my cake because it had only been a day... Ill be sure to use the buttercream with fillings in it from now on. Thanks for letting us know!

aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 8:22pm
post #13 of 18

I mix Jams into my bc icing and they do fine without refrigeration.

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 8:26pm
post #14 of 18

Sure, you're more than welcome for the info. It is confusing and disappointing too. I too have a difficult time finding room in my fridge for a cake that needs to be refrigerated because of the filling. I also have incorporated jams into my buttercream and they tasted pretty good but then someone told me to read the label on the jar. Sure enough, it said that it needed to be refrigerated once opened so now I'm wondering if it is in fact safe to leave a cake out that has jam as part of the fillling.

dabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dabear Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 8:32pm
post #15 of 18

I thought all homemade fesh fruit fillings had to be refrigerated. I wonder about all the shelf stable stuff, but once it s opened it's another story. This all seems soooo confusing. I have done the cookies & cream buttercream fill-it is good. I'm not sure the bride would want that in her cake. I hadn't thought about ganache....

bobwonderbuns-i really like your idea of the "..lemon cream" sounds more decadent!
Thank-you for all the ideas! If you have more please keep them coming. I don't fill most of my cakes. So I'm "all ears!" icon_smile.gif

ziggytarheel Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 8:39pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by butternut

Sure, you're more than welcome for the info. It is confusing and disappointing too. I too have a difficult time finding room in my fridge for a cake that needs to be refrigerated because of the filling. I also have incorporated jams into my buttercream and they tasted pretty good but then someone told me to read the label on the jar. Sure enough, it said that it needed to be refrigerated once opened so now I'm wondering if it is in fact safe to leave a cake out that has jam as part of the fillling.

I am NOT an expert on this subject. However, I do know that after a natural disaster and the power being out for a long period of time, local news did stories on what was safe to keep from your fridge and what wasn't. The jellies and jams could go without refrigeration longer than most other items. I would think that due to the high sugar content, it is much like using a buttercream with a bit of milk. It should be able to go a long period of time and still be safe.

However...while I certainly use jam in buttercream and leave it out for my family and feel fine about that, I do not sell cakes. If I did, I would make completely certain it was okay. Not everyone has the same immune system, etc.

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 8:46pm
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhellojana

actually, now that I think of it, what kind of fillings do you think need refridgeration? So long as it doesn't have dairy it should be fine.

not all fillings with dairy need to be refriderated, some can stay out for a couple days or even longer (american buttercream with milk). i *love* the buttercream by Rosie's bakery which has a considerable amount of heavy cream. when Sarah (baking911) had her food scientist test it, she found it was stable if you added a mere 1/4 cup more icing sugar. i was *thrilled* because its sooo darn good AND i'm a slow decorator, lol.

*ooops! they edited out the info after "sarah", anyways she has her own website...

Hamaranpuu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hamaranpuu Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 10:19pm
post #18 of 18

Dark or Milk Chocolat Ganache is safe out of the fridge for up to 7 days, as long as you use the boiling method and not just the microwave when making it.

I have been told that sugar and milk together act as a preservative. That is why amarican buttercream with milk is fine out of the fridge for so long.

Most jams and Jellies are fine out of the fridge for 2-4 days. (and a good number of them for longer if they are made with preservatives.) I don't have a buisness, but I make alot of cakes for friends and family. I tell people to refrigorate leftovers when I use jams and jellies. (it usualy takes me 2 days to compleat a cake.)

Of course the more humid and hot the climate is the less time things are good for out side of the fridge.

Again I am not a prefessional but this is the information I have found after reserching things my self, and from talking to people on Cake Central.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%