Vodka, Just A Drink - Or Paint Thinner!?

Decorating By mom2rascals Updated 5 Jan 2009 , 1:46am by jlsheik

mom2rascals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2rascals Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 3:06am
post #1 of 37

I have never painted on fondant before, but I intend to very soon . . .

I have read some other forum posts and understand that vodka works better than lemon juice or other extracts.

Does anyone have any tips they could share with me? like ratios, brush size, techniques, do's/don'ts, etc.

Thanks

36 replies
sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 4:08am
post #2 of 37

I've never done this so I dont have info for you. but i will give you a BUMP.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 4:16am
post #3 of 37

Vodka works great! Because of the alcohol content it dries fairly quickly. I also use it to make home made vanilla extract. YUM!

ETA: I'm sorry, I missed your questions at the end there! Use just enough alcohol to thin the food color down to a painting consistency. The more you add, the lighter the color. Obviously if you wanted a more water color effect you'd add a lot more than if you want vibrant colors. Nice soft brushes work best in my opinion. I use art brushes from the art store. Obviously the brush size totally depends on what you're doing. Get yourself one of those sets of 6 or so different sizes, that's your best bet. Also... DON'T TOUCH IT!! Hahahah. Once you paint it, don't put fingerprints on it. I've had people do that to me and it horks me off! And... multiple coats for super dark color is preferred to painting it on super thick and having it run, mottle, and not dry. Light touch... be patient! thumbs_up.gif

mom2rascals Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 4:29am
post #4 of 37

Wow! Tonnes of info. for a beginner, Thank you. Could you please tell me how you make your own vanilla extract? any others you can make?

Melvira Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 4:34am
post #5 of 37

Well, first you have to purchase vanilla beans, let me know if you want a 'hook up' for getting good beans at a seriously crazy low price. Then, you buy a bottle of vodka (doesn't have to be the good expensive stuff, just the cheap junk) slice the beans in half lengthwise and slip 'em intot he bottle and let it sit for a few weeks in a dark cupboard. Shake it up every couple days or so. How many beans you use totally depends on the size of vodka bottle! I did about 30 beans in a half gallon of hooch so that it's wicked strong! thumbs_up.gif

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 4:45am
post #6 of 37

Oh I make my own also ! I like to let it sit extra long so its more like extra strength! Good stuff!

mom2rascals Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 5:58am
post #7 of 37

I had no idea!! Thank you ladies for enlightening me . . .

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 10:35am
post #8 of 37

Thank You guys for the home made vanilla recipe!! thumbs_up.gif

Melvira Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 4:30pm
post #9 of 37

My pleasure!

And for those who have requested the information... http://stores.ebay.com/Vanilla-Products-USA

I PMed those of you who PMed me asking for the info, but thought I'd share with anyone else who was interested. I have personally ordered from them and was happy with my results. It's on ebay, but you don't have to 'bid' and 'win' anything. It's a 'buy it now' type of situation. Be sure that you spend $25 if at all possible when you order because then you'll get some free beans! Yay! And, they are really reasonably priced! At the grocery store you get a bag with three beans in it for like $6-$8, but on this site, depending on what type you're looking for, you can get a pound for under $10!

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 4:49pm
post #10 of 37

I brought back a couple bottles of Mexican vanilla last year and I'm just about out. Who thought I could make my own?! Thanks for the tip!

Melvira Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 4:56pm
post #11 of 37

Yah, it's nice! I mean, not like it's free because you have to buy the hooch, and the beans, but it's not THAT expensive, and it's good stuff. And you can control how strong you want it too! For me, the stronger the better... you just use less, ya know?

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 5:13pm
post #12 of 37

I started using Everclear...we make peppermint schnapps at Christmas time for friend giveaways and had some on hand. I have been using the same bottle for 2 years.
Just don't drink and paint....not so pretty results!!

mom2rascals Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 5:56pm
post #13 of 37

Whoa ho ho . . . How do you MAKE peppermint schnapps??? Do share icon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

Melvira Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 6:05pm
post #14 of 37

1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 16−oz. bottle light corn syrup
2 cups 80−proof vodka
2 teaspoons peppermint extract
1. Heat the corn syrup and sugar in a 2 quart pan over medium heat.
2. Make sure that the sugar completely dissolves. You can stir occasionally for about 5 minutes.
3. Add the vodka to the mixture when the sugar has dissolved. Stir the vodka in well.
4. Turn off the heat and make sure that the mixture is tightly covered. Set aside to cool.
5. Add peppermint extract. Store in sealable container until ready for use.

Edited because the verbiage of the recipe was goofy! icon_rolleyes.gif

mom2rascals Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 7:27pm
post #15 of 37

OMG Melvira . . . is there anything that you DON'T know? You are soooo wise, my Master! (please reply to "my oven is driving me crazy!" thread if you have any advice there . . .)

Can you make other schnapps using this recipe? I like my red hot cinnamon schnapps too, oh and there's peach, and licorice, and . . .

Melvira Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 7:33pm
post #16 of 37

1. How to get my husband off the couch and working in this house.
2. How to get rid of the baby weight without having to give up all the great food.
3. Why anyone on earth thinks Brittney Spears is talented.

icon_lol.gif

Ok, I am watching a movie, then I'll go searching for that thread, OR... you can PM me a link and that will speed up the whole process. thumbs_up.gif

Melvira Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 7:34pm
post #17 of 37

Oh, in case I lost anyone, that's the list of things I don't know. icon_lol.gif

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 7:45pm
post #18 of 37

icon_lol.gif Well I do know that if Hubby is watching tv ( football right now ). icon_sad.gif ( And I take the remote, and walk by the tv and push the OFF button he has to at least get( jump) up ( in major panic of course) and walk over to the tv to hit that power button ... Oh yah I have done it... icon_redface.gif But at least it gets his blood flowing again icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_wink.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 7:47pm
post #19 of 37

Vodka is great for thining, but for a nicer covereage specially in gold and silver I find the lemon extract works better. It depends on what you are doing.

Then again about Melvira, yes she knows everything!... icon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Melvira Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 8:03pm
post #20 of 37

Oh Edna... why are you so wonderful? hehehehe

tonedna Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 9:02pm
post #21 of 37

Im only saying the truth!...Why you think you are a spotlight member!... icon_smile.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Melvira Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 9:04pm
post #22 of 37

Well, bless your heart. A big hug, straight to you!

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 9:27pm
post #23 of 37

Ohhh Mel.... you beat me to it!! Mine is a little differant....no cooking involved. Let me dig up the recipe and I'll get it in here.

eldag0615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eldag0615 Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 9:35pm
post #24 of 37

Hi, I am going to try making my vanilla too, if Melvira makes it it HAS to be good. What color is the final product? Also, the few times I have to paint fondant I have used clear vanilla, but is a small size thing. A friend of mine from Mexico uses alcohol, plain Isopropyl alcohol that you can find at HEB or any store. Is that safe? Has anyone heard of that before? He says is safe because the alcohol evaporates and you can't even taste it. I don't know. I have tried it on dummy cakes and it works really good, not large areas, small ones. Also, when you say lemon extract, do you mean the one you buy at the store or you squeeze the lemons, or which one? I LOVE this place and reading from all of you, I can't never get enough, it is really addictive.

tonedna Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 9:38pm
post #25 of 37

the one you buy at the store..it has alcohol in it.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

mom2rascals Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 9:46pm
post #26 of 37

jlsheik, can you substitute the peppermint extract with other flavorings to make other schnapps?

eldag0615 Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 9:50pm
post #27 of 37

Thanks Tonedna, that is right. Also Melvira, I feel like I'm imposing here, after so much information you share , but I have to ask, I am looking at the vanilla beans on the website you posted and they have 3 different ones, which one do you use? They have Tahitian Gourmet, Madagascar Extract Grade and Madagascar Gourmet. I really appreciate all the help everyone posts here.

Melvira Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 9:51pm
post #28 of 37

Do you like Butterscotch schnapps? Use Lorann butterscotch flavoring. Mmmmmmmm. jlsheik I can't wait to see your recipe! This one just heats it up to melt all the sugar. I love seeing different recipes though. Please do share when you have a minute. thumbs_up.gif

The home made vanilla turns a gorgeous super dark brown color. And it smells like heaven. icon_biggrin.gif Isopropyl alcohol, really?? WOW! I am shocked by that one. I use it as an almost final step for cleaning my jewelry. Hehehe.

Melvira Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 9:58pm
post #29 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldag0615

Thanks Tonedna, that is right. Also Melvira, I feel like I'm imposing here, after so much information you share , but I have to ask, I am looking at the vanilla beans on the website you posted and they have 3 different ones, which one do you use? They have Tahitian Gourmet, Madagascar Extract Grade and Madagascar Gourmet. I really appreciate all the help everyone posts here.

No problem at all! I'm happy to help!

I use the Extract Grade to make my extract, then I use the Madagascar Bourbon Gourmet for cooking, custards, etc. And don't forget, after you scrape a bean pod to use in something you cook... take the 'shell' and either put it in the extract bottle, or throw it in a mason jar full of sugar to make vanilla sugar! Oh, and I have used the Tahitian Extract beans as well as the other and I cannot tell a difference. I think you are pretty safe no matter what you get! They are all awesome! I belive the Tahitian ones are the ones you will get free with a $25 purchase, so I ordered the other ones as my paid purchase, that way I had some of each.

eldag0615 Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 9:59pm
post #30 of 37

Yes, Isopropyl alcohol, I also use it to clean my sons tennis shoes, well, the white plastic at the bottom, it gets it really white. He has not had any complaint or stomach ache, he has eaten from some of those cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%