How Much Would You Charge For This Cake?

Business By inspireddecorator Updated 5 Jan 2009 , 12:57am by cakesdivine

inspireddecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspireddecorator Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 2:36am
post #1 of 10

I had a cc'er ask me how much I charged for these cakes. I don't charge enough according to my family and some friends. I am accused of giving them away for a nice shiney dollar. lol

Anyway, I thought if anyone could give me thier thoughts of what they would charge for these cakes, it would help me and the cc'er that has asked the question.

This is what I charged.

2 tiered round HSM $50 (bc with fondant decorations)
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1217204.html

2 layered 11x15 HSM $50 (bc with fondant decorations)
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1217186.html

2 tired round HSM 3 $100 (all fondant covered)
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1279964.html

Thanks so much.

9 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 3:14am
post #2 of 10

Your work is very, very good! That amount of detail could probably command $3 - $8 per serving depending on where you are.

A word of caution, though: High School Musical is a Disney property. I'm not sure how far your design impinges on their trademark, but Disney is not known for being forgiving in this area. There's another thread in the business forum today about it. It's best to play it safe when it comes to Disney. icon_smile.gif

You have a wonderful talent!

inspireddecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspireddecorator Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 3:54am
post #3 of 10

Kellym

Ecckkk. Thanks for letting me know. I will read the thread.

nia0524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nia0524 Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 4:06am
post #4 of 10

OMG...I agree with your family and friends...you are selling yourself short...don't give away your goodies...you are worth much more.

Great job...I love all 3 icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 4:09am
post #5 of 10

I'd go with what kellym says. Those cakes were excellent

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 4:12am
post #6 of 10

You have totally shorted yourself on these cakes.

Cake 1 buttercream/fondant 9/6: 100.00
Cake 2 11x15 double layer: 130.00
Cake 3 all fondant: 155.00

Your details are beautiful. You should always charge extra for the fondant decorations.

Great job on all of the cakes! thumbs_up.gif

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 4:26am
post #7 of 10

Wow very nice cakes. I'll order them at those prices! You definately need to charge more. I'd go with $7-9 a slice (Wilton servings) if they are from scratch. The ingredients and fondant probably cost about $50 bucks at least. (I would be careful of the copyright thing too, Disney is the worst)

cakesdelight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdelight Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 4:41am
post #8 of 10

These cakes are AWESOME!!! You are charging way less then what you should be, but someone told me once that you should find out how much $ per serving other bakeries in your area are charging, but I'd definately pay $7-$9 per serving for any of your cakes, you have talent! Keep up the great work! And be cautious of the copyright rules and regulations. I'm off to read more on the thread link that was posted in one of your replies up there ^... Take care

SANDY

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 5:33am
post #9 of 10

I'm no expert at pricing cakes ( we don't charge by the slice here in Aus) but I agree with the prices Traci suggested - you've put a lot of work into those cakes ! They are all fabulous icon_biggrin.gif

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 12:57am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by traci

You have totally shorted yourself on these cakes.

Cake 1 buttercream/fondant 9/6: 100.00
Cake 2 11x15 double layer: 130.00
Cake 3 all fondant: 155.00

Your details are beautiful. You should always charge extra for the fondant decorations.

Great job on all of the cakes! thumbs_up.gif

Shoot even those prices are too low! The hours it took for her to do all the cookies, fondant pieces, piping...come on! No less than $6 per wedding cake size serving using Wilton guide on the tiered cakes, and no less than $4.50 per serving on the sheet cakes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%