Help, I Need Some Opinions On A Wedding Cake

Decorating By mkorbal Updated 3 Jan 2009 , 1:21am by stampinron

mkorbal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkorbal Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 9:39pm
post #1 of 24

Hi all, I have a wedding cake for next Saturday, and I've really got to figure out what I want to do incase I have to order some things. I've gots lots of freedom with what I want to do. So.....
It's going to be an all white cake with royal icing snowflakes and pearls for some extra sparkle.

I was thinking of doing 14,12,10,8,6 rounds....I need to feed at least 200 so I was going to make a sheet also to serve. Do you think that 5 tiers all 2inches apart will look bad? Should the sizing be mixed up a bit? Should I start with a 16" round???? (that's what I would have to order asap!)

The bride had also mentioned that she likes the pillars, I'm not a fan of them, I prefer the look of all stacked construction. But I was also considering doing the 14,12,10 rounds then 5in crystal pillars then the 8 &6 rounds......would that work? I was going to do the double plate pillars but then I was trying to figure out what to put under the 8"tier, won't it look too plain?

If I do the stacked/pillar cake would I be better off doing a 16,14,12 with an 8&6 on the pillar.

I just don't know what would look best. I'm really leaning towards all stacked, but I'm trying to use what I know the bride likes!

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks!

23 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 9:46pm
post #2 of 24

frankly i would do the bottom two tiers stacked, then place the pillars in between each of the next tiers. It would be easier to transport with just two tiers stacked. and the rest on their own plates.

I would also use pushed in pillars so i didn't have to deal with so many dowels, the higher you go with a doweled cake the more room for error.

Of course this is JMO

i would do a 16, 12, 10, 8, 6

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 10:01pm
post #3 of 24

It would look fine with the 14" as the bottom tier. Does she have a topper? If so, you could put that between the pillars. You do need something there. I agree with the PP about the push-in pillars. I think they're easier than the two plate construction.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 10:04pm
post #4 of 24

A 14, 10, 12, 8, 6 is enough for 200 people..Adding a 16 would feed over 300 people. The sizes are fine, just depends on how you want your decor to look. I do cakes with those sizes all the time.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

mkorbal Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 12:19am
post #5 of 24

Thanks for the replies! Now if I go by Earlene's serving chart (which is what I usually use) a 14,12,10,8,6 rounds serves 163, unless I'm adding wrong! That why I planned on an undecorated sheet also.

I also thought about the pushed in pillars but the last time I used them, which was forever ago, (because I hate everything about them) I didn't have the pillars pushed into the exact correct spots and when I put the plate ontop the cake cracked alittle, I guess because I move the pillar in the cake. So I thought that the 2 plate looked less goof proof.....maybe not?

And my plan for transport is to stack the bottom 3 tiers, which I do all the time, so I'm not worried about that, then assemble the top 2 onsite.

PEG818....are you suggesting stacking the 14 & 12 then putting pillars inbetween each of the 10, 8 & 6 tier? Is there any reason why you suggest a 16" base instead of the 14"? I think I'd be nervous with 3 sets of pillars in a cake.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 12:31am
post #6 of 24

Here's a pic of one of mine that has the bottom 3 stacked and the top 2 on pillars: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=93754

HEre's a 5 tier with the hidden pillars and the space between filled in with flowers: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1119353

I'd recommend the push-in pillars over the 2-plate system. To set the pillars in the right place, just press a plate, with the feet-side down, lightly into the top of the cake. This marks the top of the cake where the pillars should go. As long as you push them in straight, you're good to go! thumbs_up.gif

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 12:47am
post #7 of 24

5 tiers is too many for 200 people. Although, one thing to be considered in deciding how many/what size tiers is how high is each tier. I do a 3 layer cake with 2 layers fillings, which makes each tier almost 6" high. That is a lot of cake! So, if you make higher tiers, you can use fewer and that makes for more stability. I would make a 16", 12" and 8". If bride wishes to keep top layer, throw in a 4" for topper. Tiers for stability should always be at least 3" less in size - I prefer 4". I dowel each tier to support the one on top and then one dowel through all cakes for stability so cake won't move side to side. Hope this helps!

mkorbal Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 1:46am
post #8 of 24

Ok, so I've decided to go with the push in pillars, I may even do the top 2 tiers each on there own pillar. So I'll have 3 stacked tiers than pillars than 4th tier than pillars than top tier. Now I just have to start making those darn snowflakes.....I know that should be fun!!!

BAKINGPW....what serving chart do you use? I know if I go by the wilton chart a 14,12,10,8,6 cake should serve 254 people, but I also know that that chart is not very accurate. If I go by Earlene's serving chart it only serves 163 people. That is a HUGE difference! Now I'm not sure what to do.......My cakes are 3 layers cake, 2 layers filling, usually about 4" high.

Now what do the experts out there think? I do tons of party cakes, and only a few wedding cakes throughout the year, so I don't really think about this too much.

indydebi Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 2:05am
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorbal

.... but I also know that that chart is not very accurate.

I would not say that's a true statement. I find that chart to be absolutely accurate.

I've used that chart for decades. I cut most of my wedding cakes; I cut them in 1x2x4 pieces; lots of people ask me to cut them "...a smaller piece, please", so these pieces are NOT teeny-tiny. We never run out of cake, everyone gets a piece and some take more than one piece (one chocolate and one white, for example).

And most venues cut a wedding cake using the 1x2x4 as the industry standard. When I cut cakes using my cutting method (on my website), I actually get about 10% more pieces than the wilton charts shows.

I DO know how many pieces I cut. Debi-Does-Data, and at every wedding, I'm counting chairs, I'm counting plates, I'm counting everything. So trust me ... I know how many pieces a tier of cake will yield. thumbs_up.gif

mkorbal Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 2:31pm
post #10 of 24

Well okay then, If Debi says I have enough cake than that's all I need to know. That saves me time of making a sheet cake! Thanks!

Can I ask one more question, what do they typically do with a grooms cake. If the wedding cake is being sliced an served at the table as dessert, what do they do with his cake, since is normally much smaller and not meant to serve everyone.

Thanks so much, you've all been so helpful!

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 2:41pm
post #11 of 24

Be sure to post a picture when you're finished. It sounds beautiful already!

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 2:52pm
post #12 of 24

mkorbal....... I'm assuming you are a home baker...... before you order any pans, make SURE your oven is large enough to accommodate the large pans.....( mine is not )
Listen to Debbie..... she helped me through a couple cakes, and I followed her directions and came out just great........ if you are not going to be cutting the cake, print out Debbie's cutting instructions and leave them at the venue..... I do, and they really appreciate it.... ( Deb said I could)
Show us pics of the end product..... LOVE to see it..... it sounds beautiful...

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 2:55pm
post #13 of 24

Oh, the grooms cake, if served at the reception, not the resersal dinner, is cut at the reception, and included in the number of servings you need.....so you would see how many the groom's cake serves and deduct that from the wedding cake......

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 3:30pm
post #14 of 24

I agree with Debi on the Wilton serving chart. It is absolutely accurate. If you use Earlene's chart's you are simply making extra cake for free. And the caterer will cut the pieces according to the Wilton chart anyway, because it's what all caterers know. These days, especially now in January when everyone is "on a diet" the usual request is for "just a small piece."

KellJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellJ Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 3:30pm
post #15 of 24

You can also do satellite cakes around the tiered cake if you only wanted to do a 3 tiered cake rather than doing a sheet cake. I did one like that.

I would do all stacking on site instead of traveling with it stacked.

When I got married my wedding cake had a table all by itself and the grooms cake was on the next table with the champagne fountain so if the guest wanted both cakes they were right next to each other.

Please post a pic...would like to see what you come up with.

mkorbal Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 3:52pm
post #16 of 24

You are all making me feel so much better about the cake size, now the grooms cake is only going to serve about 35people, it's really just there for decoration. I'm assuming they will cut it and put it with the "cookie table" so I'm not counting that at all in my serving count.
So this is what I definately have:
14,12,10,8,6 inch rounds (knowing that it'll be more than enough)
Stacking the 14,12&10
using the twisted crystal push in pillars for the 8" and then another crystal push in pillar for the 6".

Now I've really got to start those snowflakes!!!! I keep procrastinating!
Thanks everyone!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 5:43pm
post #17 of 24

It might be too late for this one, but you really should look into SPS. It's designed for transporting cakes already stacked and also offers crystal look pillars. It's very, very secure.

eldag0615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eldag0615 Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 6:07pm
post #18 of 24

I would like to see the pic. please

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 6:27pm
post #19 of 24

Speaking of charts-maybe you guys can help! I use the Wilton chart, too, but where the heck did it go on their site? Does anyone have a link to it?

indydebi Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 6:40pm
post #20 of 24

Here ya go .... http://www.wilton.com/wedding/wedding-cakes/wedding-cake-data.cfm

I also have this link on my website (Wedding Cake Pricing page) so brides can get an idea of what size cake they will end up with. Helps prevent the "I want a 5 tier cake for 40 people" requests. icon_eek.gif

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 6:52pm
post #21 of 24

Thank you Indydebi!

stampinron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stampinron Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 8:21pm
post #22 of 24

Please someone correct me if I am wrong as I have not done any push in pillar constructing since my Wilton course III.

But in that class I was informed to be sure there was a minimum 3" difference of diameter between cakes or else the pillars would be to so far from the center it would bulge cake from the sides ( or something like this). This information is from the Winton instructor.

So can you really stack a 6 inch cake with push in pillars (or SPS) onto an 8 inch cake? or for that matter, an 8 inch onto a 10 inch?

indydebi Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 9:12pm
post #23 of 24

stampinron, it's a tight fit, but it CAN be done. In the first cake (previous page, first cake link in my post), a 6" cake is push-pillared into an 8" cake. Be sure you mark the top of the cake perfectly and push the pillars perfectly straight down. Push gently.

The 2nd link in my previous post uses the hidden pillars, which are even bigger than the push-in-pillars.

stampinron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stampinron Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 1:21am
post #24 of 24

Debi,

thank you for that info. I've always wondered about that. Have to say I loved that first cake of yours in the previous posts.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%