Getting Cornstarch Off Fondant Pieces?

Decorating By cakesbydina Updated 25 Jan 2009 , 6:28pm by sweettreats36

cakesbydina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbydina Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 12:04pm
post #1 of 15

I made a 3d sculpture from fondant and needed to roll it out in cornstarch. I tried to brush it off the final product with a dry paint brush but it still shows in pictures. Looks a mess. Any help on getting rid of cornstarch residue?

14 replies
sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 12:17pm
post #2 of 15

Add a tiny bit of crisco and run it in... it gets it right off. The crisco will be shiny for a few hours, but will go away once the fondant absorbs it.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 12:55pm
post #3 of 15

your figure is already done??? If so, I would just wet a paintbrush...squeeze out the excess water and dust lightly with that...the moisture should get rid of any left over corn starch.........sometimes I use my airbrush and just put water in it and spray entire cakes to get rid of residual powdered sugar....works perfectly

cakesbydina Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 7:31pm
post #4 of 15

I am afraid of using water...wouldn't that ruin the fondant and color on the fondant even just a damp brush? Crisco? Maybe I will try that. Are you sure it doesn't leave a residue?

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 8:13pm
post #5 of 15

crisco rub down is correct!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 10:53pm
post #6 of 15

Water isn't a great idea--it can leave dots, an unwanted shine, and cause pitting.

I'd suggest misting it with a bit of clear drinking alcohol--Everclear (grain alcohol) is best, but vodka or gin can work fine, too. If the piece definitely won't to be eaten, you could even use 70% or 91% isopropyl alcohol. If misting isn't an option, then dipping a soft paintbrush in the alcohol can work well especially in crevices.

In the future, the whole issue can be avoided by just rolling out the GP on a smear of crisco, instead. In addition to no CS residue, you get fewer superficial cracks on the surface of the GP.

HTH
Rae

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 11:08pm
post #7 of 15

Sometimes I just rub with Crisco - this will give it a little sheen or I just use a soft pastry brush and dust it off.....

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 11:22pm
post #8 of 15

I would say either use Crisco, or dip a paintbrush in some alcohol and gently brush off. The alcohol will dry.

CakeryBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeryBakery Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 11:27pm
post #9 of 15

If you have a streamer, you can steam it. Otherwise, water is the next best way to clean off the cornstarch. Be sure to use very litte, and you'll have to go over it 2 to 3 times.

Good Luck!

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 11:43pm
post #10 of 15

I tried water once....not a great idea. It was a sticky mess. Crisco for small pieces or clean viva paper towel to wipe it off. When I get mine rolled out before I cut pieces I use a clean viva paper towel to gently clean it off, it works great.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 11:58pm
post #11 of 15

Don't use water - use vodka or everclear as it'll evaporate quickly. I've used that on gumpaste flowers to get the powder off and it works great.

If you watch Ace of Cakes you'll see them using vodka in the airbrush when the cake is finished. They spray a light coat of vodka on the cakes to get off all the p/sugar and cornstarch.

That came straight from Mary Alice when I asked what they were spraying on the finished cakes.

cakesbydina Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 12:52am
post #12 of 15

thanks for all the advice. I am sure trying crisco will eliminate the problem and I will use that tip next time

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 3:56pm
post #13 of 15

well, I didn't mean to actually put WATER on it....that will start to break it down......I'm talking about a just barely damp paintbrush....it shouldn't make it WET...just enough to allow the cornstarch to stick to the paintbrush.

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 4:14pm
post #14 of 15

Definitely vodka! Spray it on lightly, it'll disappear. PSugar comes off too.

sweettreats36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreats36 Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 6:28pm
post #15 of 15

Wow, I have the same issues. Thanks for all the info

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%