Pudding Filling?

Business By FlowerGirlMN Updated 31 Dec 2008 , 3:37am by snarkybaker

FlowerGirlMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlowerGirlMN Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 2:10am
post #1 of 4

Hey guys,

So I have to recreate this "blackout cake" for a bride originally from California. It was her favorite cake there.

Anyway, it has pudding for a filling. Very, very thick - looks like ganache, but it's definitely pudding. I've never done ANYTHING even close to pudding as a filling.

Is this a disaster waiting to happen? The sample she sent me tastes like pudding from a mix - wouldn't that need to be refrigerated constantly?

Any way around this?

I need to have a sample cake done for tomorrow. I have the cake part down, but I'm flustered about the filling.

3 replies
Diana_123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Diana_123 Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 2:17am
post #2 of 4

I use pudding as a filling sometimes. If you use the snack pack kind, it doesnt need to be refridgerated. It's usually in the same aisle as the cake mixes and stuff.

-Diana_123

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 2:25am
post #3 of 4

I've used pudding but I usually do it with heavy cream, to kind of firm it up a bit. That wouldn't work if you can't have it refrigerated...

Best advice I can offer is make sure you do a really good dam so none of the jello tries to come out!

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 3:37am
post #4 of 4

Try this: It is basically a pot de creme that is cooked stovetop instead of baking. It is super dense and looks an awful lot like ganache at room temp.

Ingredients:
11/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
5 l arge egg yolks
7oz semisweet chocolate finely chopped
Lightly sweetened whipped cream and berries for garnish

In a small saucepan combine the cream and sugar. Using the back of a paring knife , scrape the vanilla bean seeds into the mixture. Toss the bean. Place over medium heat
and bring just to a simmer. Remove from the heat. If you are using vanilla extract instead of the bean you should add it at this stage.

In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks until frothy. Slowly pour one-third of the cream into the yolks, whisking constantly. Pour the mixture back into the pan and return to low heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture coats the back of a spoon ( about 160 degrees ).

Remove from the heat. Remove and discard the vanilla bean. Add the finely chopped chocolate and whisk until melted and smooth.

While mixture is still warm, pour into a serving bowl or into 8 individual demitasse cups.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%