Need Creative Cupcake Recipes To Wow A Crowd, Please.

Decorating By mndy204 Updated 5 Jun 2013 , 2:59am by winsomebaker

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 2:44pm
post #31 of 111

Got it. Again, thanks so much Melvira. Everything sounds so delish!!!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 3:35pm
post #32 of 111

Well, I hate to debunk your theory, but I stood in the bathroom with a candle lit and looked in the mirror and said "Fiddlesticks" three time, but you never showed up with a box of caramels. You must be just another urban legend. icon_lol.gif

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 3:42pm
post #33 of 111

icon_lol.gif I was standing behind you at the mirror eating caramels ..I guess you dont see dead people yet !
Oh dang icon_redface.gif while I was standing there I some how ate all the caramels ! icon_lol.gif

Melvira Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 4:22pm
post #34 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

icon_lol.gif I was standing behind you at the mirror eating caramels ..I guess you dont see dead people yet !
Oh dang icon_redface.gif while I was standing there I some how ate all the caramels ! icon_lol.gif

Now you're really going to be a dead person!! That was wrong! (And yes... I have!)

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 4:56pm
post #35 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

Now you're really going to be a dead person!! That was wrong! (And yes... I have!)

STOP IT! Oh wait, maybe I should stop reading...you've both got me over here laughing out loud. My three year olds are looking at me like, "Did she sip a little somethin' somethin' for breakfast?"
Mel, I do that to my husband when he makes those comments so I hate it when I do it and realize, "OH crap, someone's going to think I eat (insert inappropriate item/object here)!" But that last one your husband tasted is just too much. I would still remind him of that one...as a matter of fact ask him if he's had any lately! NO! I'm sorry, I have to go repent right now...

Tita9499 Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 4:59pm
post #36 of 111

OH! I actually had a relative question, so Melvira, is the prewhipped stuff the preferred way or the liquid?

fiddlesticks Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 5:06pm
post #37 of 111

icon_lol.gif Well to late I already ate them he he !!!! And they were Fantastic to!!!
Tita9499..Sorry Mel and I have a problem sticking to the thread topic,s on and off icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif
Oh and if anyone wants a real crowd pleasing cupcake make the caramel/choc cuppy that Mel also shows on the snickers thread ! Delicious with a layer of gooey caramel on the choc cuppy ! Yummy! icon_biggrin.gif

Melvira Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 5:06pm
post #38 of 111

Oh sure, back on subject... what fun are you? Hahaha.

Actually the liquid stuff is the preferred 'version' for me. Some other people might feel differently. I've had the pre-whipped and it's good... it's what convinced me to get the liquid and experiment with it. At one of our grocery stores you can buy the prewhipped by the pound... they just slap it into one of their deli containers and weigh it. Anyway, when I tried it I immediately knew that it could be the bomb... it just needed "Me". Hehehe. So, once I found the liquid and the floodgates of fun opened, I was in heaven!

fiddlesticks Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 5:16pm
post #39 of 111

Well how much fun can I be if Im dead ?? Maybe you better not answer that he he !
I have to agree I have used both the prewhipped and the liquid bettercreme and Im all about the liquid. I think it has a better taste and texture.

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 5:17pm
post #40 of 111

Mel, what is your favorite flavor of bettercream? I found the liquid at smart and final and I want to try it. I just used the last of the pre whipped that I bought from sams and I want to taste the difference.

beth2027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beth2027 Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 5:26pm
post #41 of 111

There are some great recipes in any of the Cake Mix Doctor books. I got 3 of them for Christmas. She has some interesting combinations that would be great for a wow factor. If you'd like some ideas/recipes, check out her blog by searching for cakemixdoctor.com.
I would post some, but I am at work and can't remember any off the top of my head.

Melvira Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 5:28pm
post #42 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickshalfpint

Mel, what is your favorite flavor of bettercream? I found the liquid at smart and final and I want to try it. I just used the last of the pre whipped that I bought from sams and I want to taste the difference.

Chocolate Malt... hands down. After that, it's a tie between like 9 other flavors!! icon_redface.gif There just isn't a bad one!! I think you'll really like the liquid better.

Tita9499 Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 5:46pm
post #43 of 111

So you said that Sam's doesn't have the liquid...and I'm sure we don't have the same supermarkets here in EL Paso as you do in LOOOOOOOST NATION! (I'm sorry, but a name like that sounds like it needs to have a dramatic pronunciation- like the intro to Star Wars or something). So I wonder where I can find it.

Melvira Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 5:51pm
post #44 of 111

No, you can't get it at Sam's unfortunately. And I actually get mine in a larger town 45 miles away. You can't get any of that stuff in this area. My town has 500 people!

It's funny that you say Star Wars intro... my DH is a SW geek to the Nth degree! I'm actually thinking about having our huge tree out front (it needs to be cut down because it's dying) carved into a huge Darth Vader. icon_rolleyes.gif

Rebeckydaniel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rebeckydaniel Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 5:51pm
post #45 of 111

Melvira, I have to say I just love you! I get so many raves about bettercream- thank you so much for suggesting it. My only problem, I am unable to find the Mart Hershey syrup. Can I just chocolate syrup and crush up malt balls. I have looked everywhere. Thank you again!

nickshalfpint Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 5:52pm
post #46 of 111

smart and final has it.

fiddlesticks Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 5:54pm
post #47 of 111

I get mine at a Gordons Food Service !

Melvira Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 5:55pm
post #48 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebeckydaniel

Melvira, I have to say I just love you! I get so many raves about bettercream- thank you so much for suggesting it. My only problem, I am unable to find the Mart Hershey syrup. Can I just chocolate syrup and crush up malt balls. I have looked everywhere. Thank you again!

I am so glad to hear that!! If you absolutely cannot find the malt syrup, you can purchase a jar of Carnation malt powder and dissolve some in a little milk, add it to the bettercreme along with some chocolate syrup. It will be just as good. I wouldn't suggest malted milk balls unless we are talking aboslutely last ditch effort.

Rebeckydaniel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rebeckydaniel Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 5:59pm
post #49 of 111

I will try the carnation. I just saw it at the store, but did not buy it. I will go back. Thanks for the speedy reply.

Melvira Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 6:03pm
post #50 of 111

No problem! Good luck! Just be sure to dissolve the powder before using it or it will make the icing grainy. YUK!

mndy204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mndy204 Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 6:18pm
post #51 of 111

Ok, stupid question (but now you guys have me wondering) how can I find out where I can buy the liquid Bettercreme? I live in a semi-big city....well, I have access to semi-big cities. But I haven't heard of a lot of the grocery stores you guys mention. Where is it located at in the store? I so badly want to try the liquid stuff before I drop $30 on a gallon tub of the pre-whipped (tight money situation right now). I soooo badly want to try this stuff, I can't even tell you!! icon_lol.gif

mndy204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mndy204 Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 6:21pm
post #52 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth2027

There are some great recipes in any of the Cake Mix Doctor books. I got 3 of them for Christmas. She has some interesting combinations that would be great for a wow factor. If you'd like some ideas/recipes, check out her blog by searching for cakemixdoctor.com.
I would post some, but I am at work and can't remember any off the top of my head.

Oh thank you very much for that info!! I'm looking at her blog now and found key lime cupcakes with coconut meringue....currently drooling... thumbs_up.gif I also have her cupcake book, I don't know why I didn't think to look in that.

I do hope you enjoy her books though, I've heard really good things about them and obviously have neglected mine. icon_redface.gificon_wink.gif

mommarivera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommarivera Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 6:23pm
post #53 of 111

WOW so many GREAT ideas in this thread!!!

Tita9499 Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 6:44pm
post #54 of 111

mommarivera LOVING your name, my last name is Rivera too!

ANyway, I live in El Paso and the only stores they have here are Big8, Albertson's, Walmart (shudder), and the military commissary

nickshalfpint Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 7:06pm
post #55 of 111

I'm assuming walmart would carry the prewhipped stuff, because sam's and walmart are owned by the same people. But I don't know if they sell it like sam's does.

fiddlesticks Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 8:07pm
post #56 of 111

I cant buy either kind at my Walmart or my Sams I can only find it at GFS!
mndy204.. Its in the freezer/coolers, Mine is by the coolwhip etc!

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 11:39pm
post #57 of 111

I called my local Smart & Final. I found Pastry Pride there a while ago and just used the last of it. I make mousse with it and it's an OK product, but I try to only use it when I'm in a pinch for time. Anywho, Smart & Final said they carried Frostin' Pride, which is very similar to bettercream, yes?

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 12:39am
post #58 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhellojana

I called my local Smart & Final. I found Pastry Pride there a while ago and just used the last of it. I make mousse with it and it's an OK product, but I try to only use it when I'm in a pinch for time. Anywho, Smart & Final said they carried Frostin' Pride, which is very similar to bettercream, yes?

Yes, Frostin Pride is very similar to Bettercream.. Between the two, I prefer the Bettercream. However, having used Pastry Pride for the last 15 years, I prefer it over Bettercream when using it as an ingredient to mix with other things as a filling. Overall, Bettercream is the best for icing the cake hands down... I probably have confused you more than helped... icon_redface.gif I hope not...

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 12:55am
post #59 of 111

Lol. So, CakesbyLJ, your saying that you prefer Bettercream to Frostin' Pride, but preffer Pastry Pride to Bettercream for fillings? Just want to get that straight. Lol. I agree, Pastry Pride doesn't ice a cake well, but it tastes fairly good when you doctor it up. I won't be decorating with it, so as someone with experience with both, would you say Frostin Pride will give me the amazing results talked about with Bettercream or should I try to talk my local WalMart into selling me a tub of pre-whipped bettercream?

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 1:03am
post #60 of 111

Wow, Jana... you got all that in a nutshell.. thumbs_up.gif I forgot to mention one little fact...... Pastry Pride is half the cost of Bettercream icon_smile.gif Big.. Big deal... ok, I would try using the Frostin Pride to see if you are happy with the results.. I agree with Mel.. the liquid Bettercream is more user friendly than the premade frozen tub you get from Sam's. I used it for a couple of years here before I had acess to the liquid, and it work's ok, just a matter of getting used to working with it in a different way..
Bottom line........ It's all good.. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%