A Big Sticky Mess!!!!!

Decorating By liapsim Updated 4 Jan 2009 , 3:19am by Tomoore

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 5:04am
post #1 of 34

Okay, so I see how most of you like using MMF. So, I got on CC and looked up MMF recipes. I decide to go with prettytoya's recipe as follows:

16 oz white marshmallows
2 tb water
2 lb icing sugar (approx. 8 cups confectioners' or powdered sugar)
(DO NOT USE ALL OF THE SUGAR)

I start making it according to the directions. It just stays super sticky. So I read on down and see where it has to 'rest'. So I decided to let it do just that, thinking the stickiness would go away.

So anyways, I got to the stage of wrapping it tight in saran wrap and letting it rest. Well, I let it rest overnight...probably 10 hours at least. The problem then followed. The stuff is still so sticky...it keeps attaching itself everywhere, no matter how much powdered sugar or constarch is used.

I gave up, threw it away. I want to make MMF so bad, but what did I do wrong? Does anyone have a better recipe? It's really frustrating!!!! Please help me!

Thanks in advance!

33 replies
Rachael1013 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachael1013 Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 5:17am
post #2 of 34

How much of the powdered sugar did you use?

dmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmich Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 5:18am
post #3 of 34

I found these two links really helpful:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cak.....rasc-.html

http://forum.cakecentral.com/w.....ml#6186412

Be sure to read the first post on that first link. Recipe is provided with great tips.

Good luck!

liapsim Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 5:19am
post #4 of 34

I ended up almost using the whole 2lbs!!!! It just was so sticky and never got to the consistency of what the recipe said it should look/feel like. That's when I gave up and thought that I needed to let it "rest" like it said...unfortunately....still sticky!

liapsim Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 5:23am
post #5 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmich

I found these two links really helpful:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cak.....rasc-.html

http://forum.cakecentral.com/w.....ml#6186412

Be sure to read the first post on that first link. Recipe is provided with great tips.

Good luck!

Dmich...

when I click on both posts, it says error 404....can you repost the links? thanks!

tenlyk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tenlyk Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 5:33am
post #6 of 34

I have made MMF a couple of times and it starts out a big sticky mess but it turns out nicely. I use the same amount of marshmallows, the whole 2 lbs. of powdered sugar, and 2-5 tablespoons of water.

When I am getting ready to mix this with my hands I grease them up with crisco and keep a 1/2 cup in a bowl so I can regrease both my hands and the surface. I knead it until it is a nice consistency and not sticky.

Once I get to this point I wrap it up and put it away until I am ready to use it. Crisco seems to work nicely to keep it from sticking.

I hope this helps!

mw902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mw902 Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 5:40am
post #7 of 34

here's what i use and have not had a problem, I love it!

16 oz off brand marshmellows
1 tbsp water
1 tbsp vanilla
melt in microwave for 2 mins
add 3tsp butter ( i use blue bonnet)
add 3 tsp shortning
mix (add color if want 1 color from the batch)
start adding ps 1 cup at a time, till about 3-4 cups dump out on counter greased with crisco then knead
4 more (or so) cups of ps in
let it sit overnight in ziploc
i use more ps to roll it out with unless its a dark color then i usually use shortning. hope this helps you!

Rachael1013 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachael1013 Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 5:44am
post #8 of 34

I usually end up using the full 2 lbs. except for what's stuck to the bowl. But as someone already said, you'd need to grease your hands up before you knead it. Mine has always turned out nicely.... Maybe if you keep adding powdered sugar slowly until it gets better. But you definitely want to grease the whole thing before you wrap it to rest.

dmich Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 1:54pm
post #9 of 34

liapsim- Sorry, those links seem to have disappeared or expired. I had saved them both as .pdf files, so I'm attaching them. I hope that works.

rocketmom1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketmom1985 Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 2:21pm
post #10 of 34

Here's a tutorial courtsey of CakesCanada...

http://cakescanada.com/HowTo/MMF_Instructions.pdf

There are some really great tuortials on CakesCanada...some from here, others done for them, like some are done for CC.

good luck...

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 2:39pm
post #11 of 34

first of all.......I make mmf a couple times a week and I don't measure anything.......sometimes I'll make just a little at a time depending on my mood. I dump in marshmallows sometimes a whole bag sometimes more sometimes less.....add a little splash of water and melt, when they come out of the microwave (they still look like they have little bumps but when you stir it's completely smooth).....then I add some vanilla (or whatever extract I want to flavor it with) and then I start adding sugar.....I add and stir with a big wooden spoon until it starts to come together.......then I put some sugar on my counter and plop the ball down and dust the top of it heavily with sugar as well and start kneading it adding more sugar as necessary, once it gets into a ball that is not sticky whatsoever, I grease my hands with shortening, scrape up all the excess sugar and knead the ball on a lightly greased (w/ shortening) countertop...this smooths the fondant out beautifully. All the cakes in my gallery that are covered in fondant are covered w/ MMF with the exception of the flower pot cake (my first photo) because I didn't know any better then and used wilton fondant lol
Bottom line.......don't get hung up on the measurements, if it's sticky add more powdered sugar, if it's getting too dry add some shortening!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 2:41pm
post #12 of 34

I finally gave up on MMF. I made it probably 5 times and it was never consistent. I made 2 batches, one right after the other. The first one came out great. I followed the very same steps for the second batch and it wouldn't firm up at all. At OSSAS, one lady mentioned to me to use the large marshmallows as they worked better than the mini but I haven't tried it yet.

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 3:04pm
post #13 of 34

I make this stuff in batches every week! It is a sticky mess at first but when you take it out after it has rested just coat your hands and your work surface with crisco. Hubby bought me a KA for Christmas and I decided to use the bread hook for making it.. It worked GREAT!! No messy kneading on the counter.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 3:23pm
post #14 of 34

I gave up on MMF too.. it would turn out and then not.. it was frustrating. So I made Michele Foster's recipe and it was so nice. It turns out the same everytime and it has better stretch than MMF and it's not so sickly sweet.

FromScratch Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 3:24pm
post #15 of 34

I gave up on MMF too.. it would turn out and then not.. it was frustrating. So I made Michele Foster's recipe and it was so nice. It turns out the same everytime and it has better stretch than MMF and it's not so sickly sweet.

liapsim Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 3:36pm
post #16 of 34

Thank you all for the ideas, advice, and suggestions! It is so frustrating! I want to be able to do this because it taste better than regular fondant. I will try your suggestions and see what works best for me...I will let ya know this evening if it came out or not!!!!

P.S. Dmich....they did download...thanks!

kaciealexa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaciealexa Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 3:39pm
post #17 of 34

where can we find michelle foster recipe that you spoke about?

ElectricCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElectricCook Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 3:51pm
post #18 of 34

Ok here's my question. How do you save a file as a PDF? I have tried looking on the internet and I can't make out how to do this. I am not that computer savvy.

TIA

Electric C

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 3:56pm
post #19 of 34

Here's the Michelle Foster fondant recipe

Michele Foster's Delicious Fondant

Serves/Yields:
Prep. Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Category: Fondant/Gumpaste/Sugarpaste
Difficulty: Easy

I am so happy to share this recipe! It has been such a blessing to me! It is yummy, and you can use vanilla or any other flavor you want! I have had many requests for this recipe, and Michele (aka sugarflowers)who originally gave me this recipe, gave the okay to post it here for everyone!

P.S. This is also in her cookbook "The Sugar Fix" that you can get through her website - along with other great recipes!

1/2 cup milk
3 packs gelatin (6 tsp - for reference in case you wanted to 1/2 the recipe)
1 cup corn syrup
3 Tbsp butter, unsalted
3 Tbsp glycerin
2 tsp vanilla (sometimes I use more)
dash salt
3-4 lb powdered sugar, sifted (at least once)
*note - all tablespoons and teaspoons are level, not heaped (had a question about this from another CC'er)

- combine milk and gelatin & allow to firm
- cook over double boiler until gelatin is dissolved
- add remaining ingredients(except sugar) & cook until butter is almost melted
- cool to lukewarm (I come back to it and stir periodically so it doesn't form a "skin" on the top or get clumpy)
- strain into mixer containing 2 lb powdered sugar (one bag)
- mix slowly until just combined
- use dough hook, add several more cups of sugar, & mix on low until combined
- continue to add sugar until it holds its shape on hook
- turn onto powdered sugar surface & knead
- wrap in oil painted plastic wrap and put in ziplock freezer bag
- let stand for 24 hours before using

I always coat my hands, counter, and rolling pin with shortening when I'm ready to use. I also have powdered sugar on hand to dust with if it seems sticky, to firm it up a little bit.

I had to do it a couple of times to be able to tell when I had added enough powdered sugar. If it is too stiff, I just add a tiny bit of water, and use more shortening on my hands/counter/rolling pin and that helps to add more moisture and flexibility. Be careful when it's mixing not to let it get too hard, or it will be difficult to work with and you'll have to do a lot of "adjusting" to get it the consistency you want it! I would rather it be too soft and be able to add more powdered sugar as I knead. ENJOY!!
Source: Michele Foster

dmich Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 4:36pm
post #20 of 34

Electric C, to turn a topic into a .pdf file, click on Print Topic. This will turn the posts into a printable format. Then open your browser's printer feature (just as you would normally print any document). On mine (I'm on a Mac), there's an option on the bottom left side of the printer box that says "Save as pdf" - scroll down in the dropdown menu to the correct choice and save the document.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 6:38pm
post #21 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricCook

Ok here's my question. How do you save a file as a PDF? I have tried looking on the internet and I can't make out how to do this. I am not that computer savvy.

TIA

Electric C

I'm REALLY not computer savvy.....but you can always highlight the recipe and then copy and paste it in a notepad and then save that?

ElectricCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElectricCook Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 8:05pm
post #22 of 34

Thank you ladies. I will definately try them both.

Electric C

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 9:16pm
post #23 of 34

I use Michele's Foster fondant and it is the best for me I loooooooovveeee it, but you can always use Ronda's and it is super yummy too. Those two are my favorite recipes. thumbs_up.gif , before I had the same problem and I use to hate fondant but Michele's Foster and Ronda's MMF change my life.

icon_wink.gificon_lol.gificon_smile.gif

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 1:02am
post #24 of 34

Beckalita, thanks for the post. I need to get a cake done and didn't have time to order Satin Ice. Many of my family are turned off by MMF...I'm going to try this recipe and hopefully she will like this a little more. icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 3:47am
post #25 of 34

You can always find Michele's recipe here in the recipe section too.. if you ever can't find a thread with it typed out. Just search for Foster in the recipe section. icon_biggrin.gif

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 4:10am
post #26 of 34

I also have found that doing the whole thing with a mixer seems to incorporate the sugar a little too fully, and keeps it stickier and more ... well, whipped, I guess. If the last part is done by hand, it seems to go much more smoothly. I love fondant, particularly Michelle Foster's, but MMF is easy and quick and goes over well with kids as well. I also like LaWanda's white chocolate fondant, although it's more expensive to make, but has a lovely consistency ... HTH!!

-Emi.

LaWanda's White Chocolate Fondant

1/2 cup Heavy cream or liquid coffee creamer (I use White Chocolate/ Macadamia Nut)
3 pkg. unflavored gelatin
1 c white corn syrup
3 Tbsp real butter
3 Tbsp glycerin
2 t clear vanilla
6 oz white chocolate, chopped
3 1/2 - 4 lb. powered Sugar. (I sift mine)

Mix cream with gelatin, allow to firm up 3-5 min. Set on double boiler with simmering water stirring until melted. Add corn syrup, white chocolate, butter, glycerin and vanilla. Cook over simmering water until butter is almost melted. Remove from heat & let cool till luke warm.

In large mixer bowl place about 2 lbs of the PS. Pour liquid through strainer until partially mixed. Attach to mixer using dough hook, mix on low until sugar is well mixed then start adding about 1 cup of PS at a time until the fondant wraps around the dough hook. Place fondant on smooth surface dusted with PS & knead until smooth. Wrap fondant in greased plastic wrap, wrap again & place in plastic bag or air-tight container. Let it rest overnight.

This makes a whiter, more flavorful fondant than MMF.

thecreativeone4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecreativeone4 Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 4:30am
post #27 of 34

I make MMF once a week and it always turns out good. I use it because it is fater and cheaper that anything else.. and i always have marshmallows and p. sugar on hand.. no other ingredients to mess with.

16 oz bag mini marshmallows (i use the cheapest)
2 tbs water
1 tbs vanilla

Melt in microwave then add half of a 2lb bag of P. sugar. Mix well, then add the rest of the sugar. Turn out on greased surface, knead a few times with greased hands then cover with crisco and saran wrap and let set for at least an hour.

I do all of my mixing with a thick handled wooden spoon, no mixers.... and i use a high sided large plastic bowl. I find it is easier to deal with than a glass bowl. It does take some muscle though.
I've been using this recipe for quite some time now... about a year.. I got it on this website... I have never had a bad batch except the time i tried to add color to it just out of the microwave, so I wouldn't recommend that!

I makes about 3 lbs so with all of the ingredients it comes out to about $1 per pound.... Can't pass that up!

Don't give up on MMF! icon_smile.gif

Tomoore Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 6:21am
post #28 of 34

Help...Quick...it's on the stove now. I'm worried that I didn't let the gelatin sit long enough...should the mixture be liquidy when its on the stove? There's no thickness at all. icon_sad.gif

Tomoore Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 8:24am
post #29 of 34

nevermind. It turned out fine. I agree that it tastes better than MMF.

liapsim Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 2:24pm
post #30 of 34

Thanks for all the help! I made it last night and it was a success!!!! YAY!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%