Printer For Icing Images

Decorating By Cindys56 Updated 4 Jan 2009 , 3:49pm by twinsmake5

Cindys56 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindys56 Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 8:59pm
post #1 of 19

I'm wanting to buy a printer so I can do pictures on icing sheets. Does anyone have a recommendation on which one works best?
Thanks

18 replies
cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 2:40am
post #2 of 19

I use the Canon iP3500. It is inexpensive and KopyKake sells the ink cartridges for it. Very inexpensive.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 2:58am
post #3 of 19

cakesdivine.. please tell us more about the printer you have, etc. if you have the time .. that is... tia

cakesdivine Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 5:26am
post #4 of 19

I ordered mine from Canon.com, With shipping I think it was around $80. Keep the cartridges it comes with because you will need to remove the little microchips and put them on the edible ink cartridges you get from KopyKake. I use the desktop decorator program, and although it say you have to have a key code from the purchase of sugar sheets, my program has never asked for it, it always just prints it for me.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 5:42pm
post #5 of 19

I have an epson that I bought new on ebay for under $60, it's an all in one. I get the frosting sheets and ink from kopykake. I also bought new, refilable, cartridges on ebay that don't require a chip resetter and I just buy the refill kit so that keeps the cost of the ink down. My epson has never clogged on me and from what I've read on so many threads that the #1 problem with the canons. Mine sits for months at a time without being used and has never given me a problem. With the refilable cartridges I can refil them right in the printer after the initial filling. JMO

Cindys56 Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 10:39pm
post #6 of 19

Thanks to all for your suggestions. What model is the Epson that you purchased?

tiggy2 Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 11:05pm
post #7 of 19

It's a cx4200 but it isn't available any more.

cakesdivine Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 10:26pm
post #8 of 19

Tiggy2, the old canons that used the BJ ink cartridges and not the individual ones did clog very baddly. I could not let it sit for more than a few days without printing something without having to constantly run the cleaner cartridges and yes it was pricy on having to replace cartridges due to them drying out so quickly. But the Canon I have (knock on wood) I have had for over a year now and it is still using the same cartridges, I don't get a whole lot of photo cake orders, but enough that I don't want to turn these orders away. So far so good with this new canon printer I have.

Oh and the main reason I didn't get Epson this time was because all the ones Kopykake says is compatible are all discontinued...sad.

tiggy2 Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 1:32am
post #9 of 19

If you can find the refilable cartridges it doesn't matter what model you get as you fill them your self icon_smile.gif

Cindys56 Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 4:04pm
post #10 of 19

The last couple of days I've been on a search. I've found these companies sure change their printers alot. I've been checking the companies for the available cartridges on KopyKake. I do appreciate all of the information you all have shared.

twinsmake5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsmake5 Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 11:14pm
post #11 of 19

I have an Epson printer and kopykake ink cartridges. Problem is, I'm not a tech junky and I have so much trouble telling the printer "I KNOW IT'S NOT EPSON INK - PRINT IT ANYWAY!!!!" My cake supply store will print them pretty cheap as will the grocery store. You can purchase printed images on rice paper and sugar sheets online as well. Try fancyflours.com It's an easier way for me. Wish I'd not invested in it!
becky

282513 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
282513 Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 11:30pm
post #12 of 19

Twinsmake5 I had to laugh, that is my problem too. Once I get passed it, it does print. It just makes me irritated and frustrated for 5 minutes. But I do love the quality once I print.

twinsmake5 Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 11:45pm
post #13 of 19

I can't get past the incompatible ink message. I did a couple times, but it's too much trouble. I think my inks have likely dried by now. Having the cake store print it gives me an excuse to get out and head to my favorite place anyway! Good therapy!

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 11:45pm
post #14 of 19

I have the canon ip3000 and the epson cx8400. They both print great and work with kopykake products.

I think the canon is the better printer as you do not have the messages that epson printers tell you about the edible ink cartridges. The canon ink is also less expensive.

twinsmake5 Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 11:46pm
post #15 of 19

I can't get past the incompatible ink message. I did a couple times, but it's too much trouble. I think my inks have likely dried by now. Having the cake store print it gives me an excuse to get out and head to my favorite place anyway! Good therapy!

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 11:58pm
post #16 of 19

Can I ask a really dumb Question here?

Can you use your printer that you have and just purchase edible ink and paper
mine is Hp psc2410v photosmart

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 4:05am
post #17 of 19

Your printer must be compatible with the edible inks. There are certain printers that will not work. The kopykake website has printers listed that will work with their products.

Cindys56 Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 2:13pm
post #18 of 19

All of the places I have checked say you shouldn't use a printer for both edible ink and regular ink, if that's what your asking.

twinsmake5 Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 3:49pm
post #19 of 19

You CAN'T use your regular printer. The inks that have run through it are not food safe. You must buy a separate printer and use it ONLY with edible inks. www.kopykake.com is the source

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%