Paste/powder Color For Painting On Gumpaste?

Decorating By __Jamie__ Updated 29 Dec 2008 , 5:53am by TexasSugar

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 7

I have some detailed medallions to make out of gumpaste soon, and areas of them that I want to paint on. I want to use the vodka method, but need to know whether I should buy powdered coloring, or the paste kind like Americolor offers. And, where should I order them from, who has the biggest selection in a kit, so I don't have to buy individual bottles. I want the best results! And if there is another method, I'd sure appreciate some advice!

The desired effect is like Colette Peters' chess pieces in her birthday cake book. I think that's the book. Thanks for helping!

6 replies
sparklepopz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklepopz Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 7

My personal preference is using Americolors and vodka to paint pieces. I have used powdered colors in the past but prefer gels. I suggest that you try both ways on a practice piece and see what yields the best results for you. icon_smile.gif

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 9:04pm
post #3 of 7

I haven't seen the chess pieces you mention, but on the groom's cake I have posted I painted the faces/patterns using a gel/vodka. You can do really detailed work with the mixture and it doesn't run at all.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 9:05pm
post #4 of 7

I like using the lustre dust mixed with vodka for painting gumpaste jewelry. But I agree with Sparklepopz (what a great name by the way! icon_lol.gif) in that you should try both methods and see what works for you. By the way I just heard of someone using the airbrush pearlized colors (gold, silver and pearl colors for airbrush) and painting with those (sans the airbrush.) I haven't tried that yet either but it's on my list of cool new things to try this year! icon_biggrin.gif

sparklepopz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklepopz Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 9:46pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you, bobwonderbuns! I am a little paranoid about it now, because a little while ago a "friend" of someone with a similar screen name sent me a couple of private messages saying it was not fair that I chose a similar screen name as her friend, who has been a member here for a number of years, and I should expect her to contact me about it soon. Yikes! Sparklepopz is my gmail address and my eBay screen name and I was surprised it was available to use here as this site has a huge membership.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 10:21pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for the replies everybody! It seems that there are more colors available with the paste gels, I mean in one kit all together, so I will probably order that instead of the powder! I am limited to Wilton stuff where I live, so ordering is a must for some stuff.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 5:53am
post #7 of 7

If you are going to go out and buy something, my newest favorite thing to 'paint' with is airbrush colors. Americolor has a big selection. What I love about them is that they dry nicely so you can handle them, and you can use them straight from the bottle with out having to add anything to them. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%