What Did You Get For Christmas?????

Lounge By sugarwishes Updated 2 Jan 2009 , 5:23am by Sarsi

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 4:20am
post #1 of 34

Christmas is always a fun time to give out gifts and can be so excited when you get something you've been wanting. Since I didn't get anything this year (well I did get a couple gift cards from work and a bottle of wine), I'm curious to what everyone got???

33 replies
CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 2:06pm
post #2 of 34

Nothing exciting for me this year. My family has never been extravagant with gifts, and I usually get gift cards mostly. Last year my husband did get me a nice sapphire ring (of course I had to pick it out and tell him exactly what I wanted and where to get it). I had been hinting for some ruby drop earring I really, really like, but then we found out my sister's son has leukemia (he's doing okay), so hubby got my Southwest gift cards so I can fly out to visit later. A good gift, but not really exciting. Oh, he also thought he was getting me somethin more fun and got me a pair of tacky, cheap Christmas tree earrings, something that only a child or kindergarten teacher would wear icon_rolleyes.gif . I assumed my 6 yo had picked them out and insisted on them, but no, hubby actually got them on his own.

However, my 13 yo got a cell phone from Santa, and she was very excited about that! Santa even pre-programmed it with all her friends' phone numbers.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 2:34pm
post #3 of 34

I got a very cool wine set from my children, the corkscrew and stopper look like pistons and the wine charms are engine parts. My husband picked it out and my 10 year old was very worried about what I'd think of it. I had seen it before and I've been wanting charms and these are so different that they're really cool.

From my husband I got a tea pot set that I had wanted because I loved the color combo.

From my in-laws I got a Waterford decanter that was my husband's grandma's. I like heirloom items so this was really nice.

Edited to add:

My kindergartener's class made hot chocolate mix for parent gifts and my fourth grader's class made ornaments with their picture on them.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 3:05pm
post #4 of 34

DH got me a polk audio ipod and dock. I am quite excited about this, but I have NO idea how to use it! Gift cards from a few others. My favorite gifts are always the ones my children make in school.

cookingfor5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookingfor5 Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 10:43pm
post #5 of 34

We are usually terrible at asking for things for Christmas. This year my hubby wanted a Roomba so we let his parents buy it as their gift. Even though we couldn't run it till this morning we loved it. Wow! Can't imagine writing the programs for that little robot. I got one of those large jewelry cases that sits on the floor. I really needed it and now my daughter is waiting for her hand me down jewelry box. The kids had a great christmas and can't decide what to play with. My daughter is on barbie volunteer patrol. We have all donated an hour today to play with her dolls and she is still looking for recruits. Sad to say it is not my strong suit. I got my daughter one of those scary Blythe dolls to start collecting. You know the ones with the huge heads and small bodies, and the eyes seem to be watching you. I started out thinking they were crazy, but they have grown on me. That has to be the most unique gift we got.

I hope everyone is enjoying a little peace and quiet. Happy Holidays!

ljhow623 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljhow623 Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 10:55pm
post #6 of 34

Wow what wonderful gifts everyone has received. Our christmas was slim this year but I think the best present I received was a new son-in-law. My baby got engaged.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 12:16am
post #7 of 34

The New Kids on the Block CD (from my roommate who knows I loved 80's music)

A zip of hoodie that's black that has the LA Kings ice hockey team logo's on it.

4 slot toaster (that yelp of praise you heard around the world was me when I opened that box). I can now make a bagel for me and toast for the kids at the same time with out one or the other getting it cold!

Bath stuff from Bed Bath & Beyond. It was cucumber melon.

And a $100 Williams Sonoma gift card.

barbaranoel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbaranoel Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 1:23am
post #8 of 34

I got a canister set from my sister (Oh yea, I had to pick it out and help my mom buy it for me)

My stepdad got me a really pretty sweater, pants and scarf set icon_confused.gif (this is the only gift I did not know about and pick out myself and I do say he did a good job of picking it all out)

My dh got me a Pink Garmin (again, I picked it out, set up the webpage to order it from Walmart AND wrapped it myself) - I LOVE IT!

I bought all my own stocking stuffers - my 11yr old was with me when I bought some and he said "Mom, why are you buying your own presents?" "Because if I didn't buy them then who would?" "Oh, I guess you're right" a couple of silent minutes go by.... "mom, you know that's pretty sad right?" - yeah, I know icon_eek.gif

Barb

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 1:48am
post #9 of 34

I got Cake Boss from DH, Money from my parents & my boss, A wonderful Black & Decker large food processor with all the bells & whistles from my oldest.

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 1:49am
post #10 of 34

On christmas eve my husband gave me 2 sets of glass candle holders, the ones you set on the floor in 2 different sizes, but yesterday he came back with a big package of what he really wanted to give me,............................a compressor for my airbrush, now I just have to learn how to use it

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 2:07am
post #11 of 34

My dh gave me a ceiling fan for our bedroom (ugly), padkey locks for our doors and he rummaged through my jewelry drawers to fill my stocking. He can not figure out why I am miffed with him. I can not wait till his birthday so that I can buy him a mop and broom and dustpan. I was so ticked that I took down everything that had to do with Christmas today. I have never in my life taken down Christmas decorations the day after Christmas. It is my favorite holiday and he ruined it for me this year. If I talk to him about it, he will turn it around and say that I am never happy with whatever he gets and that I always buy what I want before Christmas anyway. Well, this year I made sure not to go shopping before Christmas for myself or my house. Guess next year I will be buying what I really want and wrap it myself and give it to myself from myself so that I can have something personal. Sorry for the rant, but I was depressed all day long and he just doesn't get it.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 2:08am
post #12 of 34

My DH got me 2 All Clad cookie sheets...and I KNOW I don't wanna know how much he paid for them! Yikes! He also got me a pasta roller attachment for my Kitchenaid, which I had really been wanting. My kids did pretty well too for me too.
But, my BEST present by far was a love letter from my DH. He put it in with one of the cookie sheets. I about fell over. It was SO sweet! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif That totally surprised me!!!!!

confectionaryperfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionaryperfection Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 3:37am
post #13 of 34

nothing at all. just a card that said IOU christmas.

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 4:14am
post #14 of 34

Sorry for those who were not so happy, you know you love the dh and the rest of them...let it go and they will only love you for it...buy yourself something you need and love. For those who got what they wanted and more (like a love letter-how lucky can you get?!!) -good for you!
I was totally shocked, the dh after so many years got me something I really wanted and needed-a IPOD! I spent the entire evening playing with it today!

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 4:37am
post #15 of 34
Quote:
Quote:

My dh gave me a ceiling fan for our bedroom (ugly), padkey locks for our doors and he rummaged through my jewelry drawers to fill my stocking. He can not figure out why I am miffed with him.

I know how you feel. My husband totally sucks in the gift-giving department. He puts absolutely no thought or effort into it, and always waits till the last minute, and almost never wraps anything, usually just hands it to me still in the plastic bag from the store. icon_sad.gif The only time he got me anything good was when I picked it out myself, told him exactly what I wanted, complete with inventory numbers, and where to get it, and showed it to him on-line. One year the ONLY thing he gave me for Christmas was a crappy pair of $10 slippers! I was so angry and hurt icon_cry.gif Who does that? Don'tyou have to be purposely trying to hurt somebody when you give such an awful cheap gift?? That same year he didn't give me anything for Valentine's day (I never expect much, just a little something), so I went out and bought myself a nice watch and flowers and I told him if he was going to force me to buy myself presents, I was going to be MUCH more generous than I would ever expect him to be. He finally got the point and has never given me anything so bad again, but he still doesn't put as much thought or time in as he should. At least now my daughter's old enough now to look out for me and makes sure he gets something decent. icon_smile.gif

punkinpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkinpie Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 12:25pm
post #16 of 34

DH and I do not exchange gifts. That makes it stress free and we don't spend money just for the sake of needing to buy something to give for a gift.

Instead we do buy things we want and need more through out the year. It works well for us. We have a little dog and of course she does get lots of presents from Santa icon_lol.gif

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 2:10pm
post #17 of 34

well this year there was no "main" gift from my dh but that is ok ... I just LOVE Christmas so much! He knows unwrapping gifts is my favorite part so this year I got a lot of little stuff ... I got new Taylor Swift cds, I got a new wilton spatula, I got a new turtleneck, a new vest that I had been wanting, a necklace, the small hand held shark steam vac for the kitchen, a snuggy blanket for me at night, and a hardcover definitive edition book of The Diary of Anne Frank ... I ended up getting the floor shark steam mop from my brother and I just LOVE it ... I can mop my floors after making cakes and frosting in less then five minutes!! WOO HOOO!!!!

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 4:55pm
post #18 of 34

i loved reading all of the stories about your gifts, thanks for sharing! i hope everyone had a great christmas, even if you didn't get what you were hoping for, theres always next year icon_smile.gif

s_barnes76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
s_barnes76 Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 11:42pm
post #19 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkinpie

DH and I do not exchange gifts. That makes it stress free and we don't spend money just for the sake of needing to buy something to give for a gift.

Instead we do buy things we want and need more through out the year. It works well for us. We have a little dog and of course she does get lots of presents from Santa icon_lol.gif

That's pretty much exactly what I was going to say (except for the part about the dog lol) DH and I made a deal to not buy each other anything this year because there was nothing either of us wanted that we couldn't just go out and buy. I've learned that if I see something I want, I better buy it RIGHT THEN because it won't be there later!! Of course, he broke our deal and bought me one of those big jewelry boxes that hangs on the wall and looks like a picture frame. I wanted one last year but wouldn't let him spend $100 on it. So after I said "You shouldn't have spent so much on me" He replied, "It was on sale". I've taught him well icon_biggrin.gif

Someonesmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Someonesmommy Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 1:01am
post #20 of 34

I got my new Kitchenaid for Christmas. Got it kinda early though so I could "test" it out! HE HE.

OOOOH! I also got 2 ungrateful children this year!! Thats ok though, because they are going through their toy box and boxing up things they don't play with anymore to give to charity. And just to make sure they understand what Christmas is REALLY about, they also have to give up one of the new toys that they received this year. I know it sounds kinda cruel, but I'm hoping it will make them understand and not act like little brats when they don't get something they wanted!

sparklepopz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklepopz Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 3:40am
post #21 of 34

I told my husband he was off the hook for buying for me this year because I knew exactly what I wanted, and it wasn't another set of fuzzy slippers and a crapload of stuff from Bath & Bodyworks LOL. I bought myself a high-end set of Shun knives (Japanese knives) as well as several pairs of extremely beautiful mounted butterflies (these pics do not do them justice). Hubby felt really guilty about not getting me anything that he picked out but thankfully he got over it. icon_biggrin.gif

VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 7:36pm
post #22 of 34

my big gift from hubby was an airbrush!!! YAY so excited!! I also got a bunch of little things like 2 collette peters books, the 101 cookie cutters from wilton, the silver and gold metallic colors from americolor for my airbrush, a silicon slip proof mat with silicon pastry brushes. My 16 yr old sister got me a can opener (thank heavens, mine was on its last leg). My dad gave me $100 and the new ornament from the La. State Governors Mansion (they have a series and the governor creates a new ornament each year) they are beautiful! I believe that was everything and my girls had a really great christmas this year.
SOMEONESMOMMY my children and I also go through their toys each year and give to charity, this year my sister knew a family whos home burned down and they have kids the same age as 1 of mine so we are giving to them. I must say my 4 yr old is the most greatful and generous kid i know. We filled up bag after bag of stuff she picked to give to "the kids whose toys burned". I am so proud of her my eyes tear up just thinking of it, i m sorry to brag but im just so proud! I hope evryone has a happy new year!

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 1:54am
post #23 of 34

I have loved reading these stories... as Christmas is my favorite holiday because I get so excited about buying gifts for others. My family makes xmas a pretty big deal, so we usually get more than we need... but the rule is to only buy things that the person will love.. and not buy "just because they need presents for christmas."

I am most excited about what I bought my lovely boyfriend.. a blackberry storm. He was ecstatic! I bought my mom a chi hair straightener, my brother a sony cybershot digital camera, and my Dad got ebay gift cards so that he can buy his motorcycle parts (he's rebuilding one) guilt free! I bought the solider I sponsor the books in the Twilight series, and made him a stocking full of his favorite foods/candy.

My favorite things that I received from my family are my PINK KA that I've used 6 times already since christmas day, a beautiful set of pearls, a cute apron, a colette petters book, another SugarShack DVD (woohoo!!), and some baking supplies.

Happy Holidays everyone!

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 2:27am
post #24 of 34

I love Christmas. Next to my birthday, it's the best time of year! icon_rolleyes.gif This year my big gift was a siamese kitten from DH! He's precious and soo sweet! I also got a ton of clothing, a red jacket, several pairs of shoes, two lenses for my camera (zoom and telephoto), a Michael's gift card, movies, some decorative stuff for the house, a pair of brown and white pearls, and a beautiful smoky topaz cocktail ring.

This was my oldest's 3rd Christmas icon_cry.gif and he got sooo much stuff! Santa brought him a battery-powered ATV which he LOVES! Me? Not so much. He also got a ton of cars stuff (he's obsessed with the movie). It was my baby's 1st Christmas so he didn't get very much. We decided to get him just a few things and spend our $$ on the older one since he'll remember and the baby won't. I did go through their toy box and donated a ton of stuff to a local children's shelter.

Someonesmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Someonesmommy Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 4:31am
post #25 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanna1487

my big gift from hubby was an airbrush!!! YAY so excited!! I also got a bunch of little things like 2 collette peters books, the 101 cookie cutters from wilton, the silver and gold metallic colors from americolor for my airbrush, a silicon slip proof mat with silicon pastry brushes. My 16 yr old sister got me a can opener (thank heavens, mine was on its last leg). My dad gave me $100 and the new ornament from the La. State Governors Mansion (they have a series and the governor creates a new ornament each year) they are beautiful! I believe that was everything and my girls had a really great christmas this year.
SOMEONESMOMMY my children and I also go through their toys each year and give to charity, this year my sister knew a family whos home burned down and they have kids the same age as 1 of mine so we are giving to them. I must say my 4 yr old is the most greatful and generous kid i know. We filled up bag after bag of stuff she picked to give to "the kids whose toys burned". I am so proud of her my eyes tear up just thinking of it, i m sorry to brag but im just so proud! I hope evryone has a happy new year!

It kinda makes me feel like a failed as a mommy when they act like that. We always donate the change that we have in a jar when the MDA telethon comes around each year and they seem so proud of themselves when they do it. And after Katrina my oldest boy saw a lady on tv, who was stranded on a bridge in N.O. saying that she only had one bottle of milk left for her baby. He turned to me and asked "but momma, whats that baby gonna drink, he's gonna be hungry!" So we went to the store and bought formula and donated it and some other things and he was so happy that he could bring the hungry babies some milk. It's not like I spoil them and get them everything they want and we are by no means a wealthy family! I just hope this is a phase they are going through and snap out of it.

But all in all in was a good Christmas, could have been a little cooler with less humidity and mosquitos though!

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 8:32pm
post #26 of 34

ehehhee..this was fun to read!

My husband gave me a necklace that I told him I wanted hehehe..and he stuffed it way at the bottom of my stocking so I wouldnt suspect... little bugger.. and a griddle that I've been wanting a long time!! And a "gift card" to HIS massage parlor! LOL... he made his own card up and taped it to a box of massage oil and I can use it whenever I want until the oil is gone! HOW CUTE IS THAT!?!??! And a bunch of lotions, a huge bag of pistachios, a plug 'n play Wheel of Fortune, and some chocolates...and a very very sweet love letter/card!! That is my FAVORITE gift!! It made me cry and I dont cry too easy over things like that!

I gave my hubby a remote control helicopter, and I made him silk pajamas, fleece robe and scarf... gave him some really tight warm shirt for skiing...I dono really what it does, I just knew he wanted one LOL... and a bunch of candy in his stocking, and a thumb drive...

And I don't need to go through the list of what we got the whole extended family...that takes too long!!! icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 8:37pm
post #27 of 34

I got the coolest gifts ever........been wanting one or the other for EVER......and my DH bought me BOTH!!!

1. Dance Praise- it's a game that hooks to the t.v. w/ a dance pad w/ music,but the cool part is you can create a profile and enter your weight and it actually tells you how many calories you're burning while you're dancing and having a ball!!
2. Guitar Praise- Just like Guitar Hero only with Contemporary Christian music........LOVE THEM!!!

I set my Dance praise to 500 calories yesterday and had reached that goal in no time!!! I was having so much fun I did some more beyond that........then since I burned that many calories I had a piece of frozen pecan pie LOL.....I guess that defeats the purpose.....but it was fun!!

Sarsi Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 8:42pm
post #28 of 34

KHalstead, that is awesome!! Can you tell me where your husband got that DancePraise game??? Is it worship music or more contemporary Christian.. I would assume worship, but just thought I'd ask!!

sparklepopz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklepopz Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 9:03pm
post #29 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarsi

I gave my hubby a remote control helicopter

I gave all 5 of us RC heli's this year. They are so much fun! Hubby and I can't really steer them all that well but my teens can fly these things amazingly well. Tell your hubby that he can Google "RC Heli mod" to find ways to modify it to make it fly better. icon_smile.gif

Sarsi Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 9:09pm
post #30 of 34

My hubby's been getting into RC flying things for a while now...and he always has my dad and brother who fly I dono how many gas planes...My dad's flown them since he was a kid, and my brother the same...My husband can fly them pretty good, but he's not to sure about landing yet.... What kind of helis did you get??

thanks for the link! I"ll tell him about it!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%