How Much Would You Charge For These Cupcakes??

Baking By lotsofsprinkles Updated 31 Dec 2008 , 1:34am by thefrostedcakencookie

lotsofsprinkles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lotsofsprinkles Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 7:49am
post #1 of 20

Hi guys,

just wondering if you could help me out... a customer has asked for 120 cupcakes with a dog topper on each of them for her wedding... like the one below.

I'm planning to ask for $5 per cupcake... is that reasonable?

Cupcakes will be plain vanilla.

Thank you in advance! icon_biggrin.gif
LL

19 replies
JennaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennaB Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 8:15am
post #2 of 20

I think it's fair considering how long it will take you to make all of the dogs.

myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 2:48pm
post #3 of 20

If you charge $5 per cupcake, guessing $1 for the cupcake, you are charging $4 for the dog.

You dog is adorable and I can't stop looking at him and I think he is worth more than $4. However, I do not know how many people in your area create fondant toppers and what the market value of them in your area.

If the area is has a reasonable number of decorators who make toppers, then $5 is enough. If there are only a couple then you should price them at market value because making 125 of the dogs may be time consuming.

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 9:19pm
post #4 of 20

Wow, I think $5 each is a steal. Those dogs will take you a long time to make. I would say at least $6 each, but I don't know your area either and what you could get away with charging. Good luck.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 9:31pm
post #5 of 20

Honestly, that dog is the cutest thing I've ever seen. I'm home alone, and when his picture popped out, I actually yelled out, "OMG, is he cute!" Yes, you've reduced me to talking to myself.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 9:37pm
post #6 of 20

Omg !! Adorable !!! I would go with $6. $3 for the cupcake and $3 for the topper! I guess it depends on what you would charge for a reg cupcake if its say $2.50 then add $3.50 for the topper ! But if you are getting maybe $4 already for a cupcake then I wiuld still add at least $3-4 for the topper ! That has to take some time and making that many..wow!

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 9:45pm
post #7 of 20

I think $5 is a steal also, and you should charge more like $7-10. That's alot of work. If she's not happy with the pricing you could suggest she order some cupcakes with simple bones on them for $4 each or some with just the dog face for $5-6 each. They get $2.75 for an undecorated, scratch cupcake out here. Simple decorations are at about one dollar more, and they don't do anything as elaborate as yours. 120 cupcakes with this kind of detail is alot, I hope you have some help. BTW--They are the cutest things I've seen!!! Great job.

tinygoose Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 9:57pm
post #8 of 20

duplicate post

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 10:10pm
post #9 of 20

I would go more $7-$10 per cupcake with dog as well. I agree with tinygoose, if the price is too much, suggest maybe she does half with dogs and then half with something more simple or a solid color.

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 10:32pm
post #10 of 20

Do the math . . . how long does it take you to make each dog? How much is your time worth? How much does it cost to make each dog? I think we all make the mistake of charging for the supplies and forget to pay ourselves for our time.

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 10:39pm
post #11 of 20

$10 per cupcake on the LOW end. They could really go for $12-$15. I would normally charge a $10 flat rate for something scuplted like that. So if your average cupcake is around $2, then that's $12 right there. $5 is definitely not enough.

That is the cutest dog. That is going to take a lot of time!

tinygoose Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 10:51pm
post #12 of 20

I would also fill them with a little buttercream or filling. It looks like fondant under the dog, which makes sense, but as far as taste goes I think it would be better with some buttercream or filling with the cake.

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 11:07pm
post #13 of 20

Is the bride having a wedding cake besides these cupcakes? What kind of budget does she have? At $10 a cupcake, that would cost her $1200.00 for cupcakes. But they're so darned cute!

tinygoose Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 11:13pm
post #14 of 20

Or you could look at it like- what should you charge for a wedding cake with for 120 people with 120 dogs on it?

lotsofsprinkles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lotsofsprinkles Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 11:54pm
post #15 of 20

Thank you so much for your help and advice everyone... sorry i forgot to mention that that picture was not mine... the bride found it and wanted something like that... but yes it is such an adorable dog!!

I ended up quoting her $5.50 ... i now think it's a bargain considering what some of you are suggesting i charge... so we'll see what she says. I am just starting out so any business for me is good to get my name out there....

She will also be having a cake on the day... these are just for the guests to take home.

Thanks again icon_biggrin.gif

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 12:23am
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by crumblycookie

I ended up quoting her $5.50 ... i now think it's a bargain considering what some of you are suggesting i charge... so we'll see what she says. I am just starting out so any business for me is good to get my name out there.

I agree with the previous posters, this cupcake is SO labour-intensive it should cost at least double what you're charging her.

Sure, it's great to initially take orders to get your name out there...but don't let it come at the expense of gaining the reputation of being a "bargain vendor" or having pricing that's below the norm in your area. THAT'S the detail any future clients this order refers will be expecting from you. (People will most likely ask her price range and perhaps she'll share that figure with them, it's not uncommon to divulge when asking about vendors and recommendations after all.)

You'll kick yourself for undercharging after all the days of work it will take to make these, and any self-promotion you might get probably won't compensate for such a huge discount. thumbsdown.gif It's an error we've all made in the past, but you'll only make it once! icon_cry.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 12:31am
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Quote:

Is the bride having a wedding cake besides these cupcakes? What kind of budget does she have? At $10 a cupcake, that would cost her $1200.00 for cupcakes.

Yep, that's exactly what it will cost her.

If she wants the customized, special, one-of-a-kind cake, then she's going to pay for it.

Don't think about "wow, that will cost a LOT" if the price is $10. Not the baker's problem. The price is what it is. Client is either willing to pay the price and get the product ... or they choose another product.

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 6:13pm
post #18 of 20

Well said Antonia74 and indydebi!!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 6:35pm
post #19 of 20

I charge a minimum of $5.00/ea for any modelled figures.....plus $1.00 for a regular iced cupcake....so I'd charge $6.00/ea.....and I'm cheap!
What do you charge for figures?? and what do you charge for a plain iced cupcake?? THat would be how I'd figure it out.......if you charge her less than that, you'd better let her know she's getting a DEAL!!

thefrostedcakencookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thefrostedcakencookie Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 1:34am
post #20 of 20

oh my goodness. for your sake i hope she is shocked by the $600 price tag @$5 each, because that is way undercharging. that is going to take FOREVER to make 120 of those. all of the details are so time consuming it will take you days if not weeks to get them all made. you might want to seriously reconsider if she decided so go ahead with it and try to talk her into making a few of the dogs and making other not so time consuming toppers like dog bones or their initials. You could also tell her you made a practice dog and it took a lot longer than you anticipated and if she decides to go with them it going to be more along the lines of $10-12 each.

you also need to keep in mind that even if you are just starting out you need to value your time and this project will take a lot of it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%