Which Kitchen Aid Mixer Should I Get?

Decorating By rusticlark Updated 26 Dec 2008 , 4:01am by just_for_fun

rusticlark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rusticlark Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 6:51pm
post #1 of 14

Hello everyone! I'm a newbie to this forum and I need help. My Husband would like to get me a kitchen aid mixer of my choice for Christmas. I've been researching for the last few days and haven't made up my mind yet as to which mixer i should get. I am not a serious baker but would probably do more in the future; I am even considering taking wilton decorating classes eventually. Would the Pro 600 be a little overkill? I just want the best mixer for doughs and icing. Since price is not an issue, I would like to get the best possible mixer. I would appreciate any input. Thanks and Happy Holiday!

P.S. i'm soooo excited!!!!

13 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 1:41am
post #2 of 14

Well, if price is not an issue, get the highest wattage available. I think mine is 450 watts and it works great for me.

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 2:10am
post #3 of 14

I got the same offer a few years back and chose a 600 Pro. It is great for making large amounts of batter/icing but it has a bowl lift rather than a tilt head, so you have to detach the beater to check your batter/icing or to get the bowl off. A tilt head is better also for checking the stiffness of whipped cream.

When Lowe's goofed on their sale add last year, I purchased an Artisan for cheap. I find it is better for smaller quantities, especially whipped items (the Pro 600's bowl is huge) but I still find myself using the Pro 600 more since it is the one on my counter. But I do love th tilt head of the Artisan! They both have their pros and cons.

If you will be making quantity, get the Pro 600 for sure. If that is not a concern I'd stick with the Artisan for convenience. Hope this helps!

gwright0906 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gwright0906 Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 2:30am
post #4 of 14

I took the Wilton classes at the beginning of the year. When they were over my husband bought me the Artisan (5 quart bowl). I absolutely LOVE it!! It works great for me but I only average 2-3 cakes a month. I make double batches of icing all the time and it's perfect.

Whatever you choose...ENJOY!

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 3:34am
post #5 of 14

I have a Classic, Artisan and Pro; the Artisan is my favorite. I prefer the tilt head to the bowl lift. I would only go for the larger if you plan on making larger quantities frequently.

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 7:59pm
post #6 of 14

I have both as well and find I use the artisan more than the pro. The pro usually comes out when we have cookies to do, or larger orders.

Personally, I'd suggest the artisan and add an bowl so you can switch easily from batter to icing. I hate having to stop and wash in between every big step.

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 8:09pm
post #7 of 14

I have both as well.... I use my PRO in the home kitchen and 2 artisans out in the bakery building..... I don't use the PRO as much as I thought I would. I concur that you should get the smaller and some extra bowls, that will be a tremendous help!

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 8:14pm
post #8 of 14

I have the professional from costco. I also had a different professional. They are both nice at first and then turn into junk. I would invest in a different company. They just aren't what they used to be.

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 8:15pm
post #9 of 14

We are all a bunch of cake nerds with multiple mixers! At least i don't feel silly anymore. haha.

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 9:34pm
post #10 of 14

cakeforte, you hit the nail on the head with me.. I actually have 3rd artisan in the garage for backup icon_smile.gif hehehehehhe

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 10:01pm
post #11 of 14

My best adice is to get a Viking or a Cuisinart.

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 10:18pm
post #12 of 14

I have an Artisan with two bowls and also a 600 pro. I use the Artisan way more, partly because it sits out so more convenient but also because it is the size I need more often. Having two bowls is priceless!

rusticlark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rusticlark Posted 25 Dec 2008 , 7:35pm
post #13 of 14

Thank You all for your input. My husband tried to talk me into getting the pro. We went to Bed Bath and Beyond to check both out and in the end, I decided to get the Pink Artisan tomorrow with my 20% coupon, and order an extra bowl like most of you suggested and a few attachments. I can order it cheaper in Amazon but I can't wait to have it so I'll just purchase it from the store.

This is a great website. I'm glad I stumbled into it. Once again, Thank You!

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 4:01am
post #14 of 14

So ya think I can get a Viking on sale somewhere tomorrow? I have a mixer, but I hate it, my dream has always been a KA. In the baking-wear store, i was looking at them, then I asked the saleslady which size I should get if I make bread using a 5-lb bag of flour. She said that I should get a Viking. My dream got upgraded! (and more expensive)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%