I Couldn't Have Done It Without Cc!

Decorating By tracycakes Updated 21 Dec 2008 , 10:15pm by tracycakes

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 12:32am
post #1 of 8

I just delivered my 5th wedding cake and my first wedding cake since early 1992! There were so many things that I have never tried before and wouldn't have even attempted with all of the great tips I've learned here.

The cake is all WASC with SugarShack buttercream. It is an 8", 10", 12" and 14". The tiers are separated by styrofoam blocks covered with ribbon and real ribbon around the cakes. The monogram is fondant with royal icing letters.

Even though I've done cakes for a long time, I had to do lots of new things this time. This is what I learned:
1) Yes, royal icing needs to be fresh, otherwise is breaks if you look at it. thumbsdown.gif
2) Foam is AWESOME for cake boards! thumbs_up.gif .
3) A compound miter saw does a great job of cutting styrofoam. thumbs_up.gif
4) I tried ironing wax paper onto ribbon and when that didn't work, I put contact paper on the back. The grease still bled through and I didn't notice it until they got to the church. Haven't learned what to do with real ribbon. thumbsdown.gif
5) I'm really out of practice on piping and my skills need work. thumbsdown.gif
6) SPS is the most awesome support system ever! I never had to worry about support or whether the cake was level. thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif
7) I never got stressed making this cake, even though I was fighting a cold. I just faced each obstacle, overcame and went on. thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif
icon_cool.gif This is the most awesome website! Thanks to Jackie and Heath and everyone on here that provides support and help and tutorials! You guys rock! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

If I can attach it, here is the link to the cake I delivered today. The mom said it was perfect and the florist thanked me for giving him a beautiful foundation to work with. thumbs_up.gif The pictures look worse than the actual cake did, it highlighted all of the flaws.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1295982

7 replies
JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 12:49am
post #2 of 8

That is wonderful Tracy!!

Jen icon_smile.gif

enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 12:53am
post #3 of 8

You did a wonderful job. Very elegant.

dabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dabear Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 2:06am
post #4 of 8

Your cake is gorgeous!

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 3:13am
post #5 of 8

Your cake is stunning and very elegant!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 3:51am
post #6 of 8

Welcome to the SPS chorus Tracycakes!

Lovely cake.

kbak37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbak37 Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 4:16am
post #7 of 8

Great job, your cake is gorgeous! I too couldnt have got through my first wonky cake without CC and all of the great tips and support! I completed it tonight and learned alot along the way!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 10:15pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks everyone! The couple is from my church and I talked to several people today that commented on how great the cake was. The bride's father told me that several had come to him during the reception said that was the best cake ever. I can't ask for better feedback than that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%